General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche and HD "cooperation"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:08 PM
beansSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the money for a Porsche. But I could own a vrod and say she's got a lil Porsche in her!

Old 09-03-2011, 12:15 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,406 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
Harley took their already designed VR1000 race engine, and had Porsche convert it and tame it for street use.

~Joe
I sure would like to see a link to something to prove that statement. I hear it often but can't bring myself to believe it just because I hear it. Not doubting you Traveler but would like to see documentation as I am sure others would.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM
nightroddersp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terryrh
Yeah you aint kiddin...I still wanna take the V-Rod out. I wanna see how it feels in comparison to the M109...that's an extremely fun bike.
the ride is totally different... power bands are in different spots across rpm range109 7500/v-rod 9000... power to weight ratio is in favor of the v-rod... stable launching of the v-rod makes it easy for ammatures like me to leave the starting line ***** to the wall... i'm a small guy and i feel like i'm on a snowmobile when i rode the 109... mad power but its to much mass for a small frame guy like me... my inner legs actually sit on the body panels under the seat... just remember all bike have their ups and downs...

Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Feine deutsche technik! Deutschland setzte Amerikaners auf den mond
You can tell a German....but you can't tell him much....

Old 09-03-2011, 03:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have a Sportster, Dyna, Softail, Buell, Touring and a V-Rod. Originally I was going to skip the V-Rod only because is was water cooled.

Two of my son's test rode the V-Rod at Stugis and said that I really should add one (I think they want it). I saw the 12 Night Rod Special with ABS and security in vivid black so I got it.

I have 1,400 miles on it in the last few weeks since I got it. It is amazing in the corners. I have slown down over the years and can't keep up with my sons at the Dragon and on 1 south of Seattle any more.

I just started pushing down hard on the inside handle bar going into corners without slowing and that little bugger flat flies around the corner. Can't wait until we are on a ride together on the twisties again. I plan on showing them how I did it in the 60's and 70's on my Norton Commando Fastback.

Forget about this water cooled concerns. My 07 Nomad was a great machine. Kawasaki only water cools the heads and has a great method with how their small radiator is between the rectangular down tubes and not hanging out in front.

You Dyna and Softail riders show test ride a V-Rod when you get the chance. You will be impressed.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-03-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:06 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nightroddersp
the ride is totally different... power bands are in different spots across rpm range109 7500/v-rod 9000... power to weight ratio is in favor of the v-rod... stable launching of the v-rod makes it easy for ammatures like me to leave the starting line ***** to the wall... i'm a small guy and i feel like i'm on a snowmobile when i rode the 109... mad power but its to much mass for a small frame guy like me... my inner legs actually sit on the body panels under the seat... just remember all bike have their ups and downs...
I hear the 109 has a lot more down bottom while the VRod has it up top. I have been reading the specs and the weight difference really helps the VRod in the top end. My friend has one and told me that you don't even have to hold the brake to do a standing burnout - I tested and this is very true. It does show it's weight while riding it though. I know each bike has it's checkmarks and x's, but I like to test ride bikes I know I'll never even get so I can give feedback on it when the subject comes up. I like to know for myself.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:00 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
You can tell a German....but you can't tell him much....
Great response :-)

Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 PM
crush63
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
I sure would like to see a link to something to prove that statement. I hear it often but can't bring myself to believe it just because I hear it. Not doubting you Traveler but would like to see documentation as I am sure others would.
Traveler is mostly correct
According to a Mar 94 feature article in cycle world magazine, the VR-1000 superbike engine was designed in-house by a small team at H-D with assistance of Jack Roush's engineering consulting firm who designed the cylinder heads. Steve Scheibe (VR-1000 race team manager) was a Roush employee before moving to H-D.

According to Steve Anderson (longtime Buell employee and moto journalist)
Erik Buell was also involved in the project and designed a chassis for the engine but the Buell chassis was never used or even tested. Also he stated in print that it was Erik Buell who contacted Porsche (H-D engineering was busy with the Twin Cam) for help in getting the VR-1000 engine EPA certified as he wanted to use that engine in a new bike for the 1998 model year. According to the article Harley had no interest in that engine. As soon as Erik got the ball rolling with Porsche H-D changed their mind and wanted in. Harley sent a small team of engineers to Germany to work side by side with Porsche. Erik needed a light and compact engine (which the VR-1000 engine was) to power a sportbike and Harley wanted a big bulky engine that looked good. In the end Harley got their way and what would have been a mild redesign to address some reliability issues and the epa turned into a major redesign which became the Revolution Engine.