General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exporting A Bike Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011 | 11:17 AM
sctdixon
|
Intermediate
Default Exporting A Bike Question

Does anybody here have any first hand experience they are willing to share in exporting a bike? I searched the forum and really didn't find much info. I'm looking to ship my bike from the US to Peru, S.A.

Old 08-30-2011 | 11:35 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

I work for an Australian exporter. Everything is contingent upon the country your exporting to.

In our case, putting a bike in a shipping container or crate and putting in on a ship in California or wherever isn't the issue, it's getting the bike into Australia is the problem. They have all kinds of laws.

You're saying "export", so I take it that you're exporting the bike to Peru permanently? Or just shipping it there for a short while? There's a difference.

Old 08-30-2011 | 01:20 PM
sctdixon
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fleabite
I work for an Australian exporter. Everything is contingent upon the country your exporting to.

You're saying "export", so I take it that you're exporting the bike to Peru permanently? Or just shipping it there for a short while? There's a difference.
Based on the assumption that it will cost a few(+) thousand $$ to get it exported out of the US and imported into Peru, the bike will likely stay in Peru after my contract is finished in another 1 1/2 years. The value of it doesn't justify the fees for returning the bike back to the US, I will just sell it there when I get ready to leave.

I guess the biggest questions are:

1. - Do I use a US company to handle everything, a Peruvian shipping/import company, or a combination of both?

2. - Is the process easier if I do send the bike back rather than leave it there permently?

Old 08-30-2011 | 04:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

We shipped two to Germany in 1988 and I did it dealer to dealer but the bikes where going to stay once we where done . My understanding is everything has changed now so I can't be any help sorry but please keep us posted I'd like to follow how you do with it .

Old 08-30-2011 | 06:10 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sctdixon
Based on the assumption that it will cost a few(+) thousand $$ to get it exported out of the US and imported into Peru, the bike will likely stay in Peru after my contract is finished in another 1 1/2 years. The value of it doesn't justify the fees for returning the bike back to the US, I will just sell it there when I get ready to leave.

I guess the biggest questions are:

1. - Do I use a US company to handle everything, a Peruvian shipping/import company, or a combination of both?

2. - Is the process easier if I do send the bike back rather than leave it there permently?

I can only rely on my Australian experience for comment, which might not be much help, so sorry in advance.

1) Probably a combo of both, or if you can find a Peruvian company you can trust, Peruvian. As my Australian guy comes over here to the States a few times a year and gets everything set up at the docks himself. Then, he takes care of the importation back in AU. But then again, these bikes have been purchased and are staying in AU.

2) People ship bikes all over the world for vacations and tours. So, obviously, they're shipping them back. There have been other threads on here about this. Also, a good resource is the dual sport guys, like advrider.com

You'll probably have to do some digging on both US govt websites as well as Peru. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2011 | 07:24 PM
JaxHarleyRdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Exporting is no problem must have a clear title and empty the gas importing to peru is the problem will have to pay a big tarriff tax