General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do when you have to park downhill?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
Default What do you do when you have to park downhill?

Last weekend I went to a relatives home in rural Rapid City SD. His home was up in the trees, and built on the side of the hill. The only place to park, that was not on the highway sloped sharply down and to the right as you pull into the driveway. I had never been there and did not see the issue until I was litterally headed downhill. I parked toward the top of the driveway. I swung way over and tried to U-Turn the thing so it pointed uphill, but the driveway was too thin. When it came time to leave I needed a push to get the thing pointed back uphill.

What could I have done differently? What would, or have you done in such a situation?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 AM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never park on a downhill. I either swing around pointing uphill or I back down into where I want to park. I also don't park where the bike will lean way over to the left. I am too damn short to get it off the stand if I do. I am always very vigilant in looking for a parking space so that it meets all criteria. Comes from many years of having to push the bike or asking for help.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 AM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I just park it and watch it "do the walk" on the jiffy stand until it finally grabs tight.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 AM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Heck, just drive across the lawn. I'm sure they would understand.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

You can use the engine to move the bike forward but only manual power to move it backward. It is WAY easier to back up with the assistance of gravity than it is against gravity. Reverse the direction of the bike before you park. Also you want the weight of the bike to pull against the kick stand not try and not try and fold it in. Park in 1st gear.

Last edited by fat_tony; 08-30-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Ironheadslave
Novice

If you have bags on your bike, it might be a good idea to invest in a cheap plastic wheel chock.

Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

HaHa. The feet police don't like this, but I put my feet down, and manhandle the bike around so I am going uphill again. I don't like parking downhill, cause I don't trust the Jiffy stand.If the driveway is wide enough to get a car in, you can turn your bike around in it.

I do this everyday, as my driveway is downhill, and it is 2 cars wide, but my truck usually is taking up 1 side. I ride on my lawn around a well pipe to get into the driveway pointed uphill as much as I can. If you have to ride on grass, take it easy.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rhlhamlet
I just park it and watch it "do the walk" on the jiffy stand until it finally grabs tight.
Same here, just park in gear and wait until it catches, but like someone else mentioned, I would look around for a better spot first. If I have to walk a bit, I walk

Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Coach1
Tourer

Think ahead. If I don't see a comfortable way out I just avoid it. A short walk is easier than dragging a 800lb bike, up hill backward, or not having the turn radius.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BillM
I never park on a downhill. I either swing around pointing uphill or I back down into where I want to park. I also don't park where the bike will lean way over to the left. I am too damn short to get it off the stand if I do. I am always very vigilant in looking for a parking space so that it meets all criteria. Comes from many years of having to push the bike or asking for help.
Same here. If I swing it around and park uphill, this also guarantees I don't have to walk the bike uphill when I go to leave.

Quick Reply: What do you do when you have to park downhill?