General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one ever had their Harley stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Blask06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one ever had their Harley stolen?

I had a Kawasaki Ninja ZX750R stolen from me about 8 years ago while I was on my honey moon. They ended up finding it 6 months later in an abandoned garage in one of the seedier parts of town. They just sawed right through the ignition/lock and rode off. Looked like they took it off roading. Mud and grass stuck every where, fork seals busted, Friction plates destroyed. Took about a thousand dollars just to get it going down the road again. Just wondering if any one on here has had their Harley stolen. If so, What kind of bike was it? What were the circumstances? Did you get it back?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a Harley but a Honda 500 Ascot years ago in San Diego when I was a kid in the Navy. I lived in an apartment in Chula Vista and came out to go in one morning and it was just gone. Never did see it again. Bad thing about it was that I still owed money and had let the insurance lapse and I called the bank and told them, he put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and told me not to worry because he just insured it. Last I ever heard of it. Got lucky doing stupid things that kids do.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 AM
SOFME
6th Gear

While in HS (78) I had a 74 Kawasaki 500 that was in the shop to replace the front fork seals. Received a call that the stealership had been broken in to. My bike was the only thing taken out of the dealership, thives bypassed much newer or expensive bikes and leathers/helmets/acessorecies. Raised alot of flags with the local PD. Never recovered

Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Waterman31
Intermediate

In 2005, I came home from work to find my 87 Softail and my girlfriends 03 Fatboy gone. I lived in Columbia, MD just off I-95 at the time. What a gut punch, worst feeling ever. Thank God for insurance!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:16 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not me but a riding buddy had his new Heritage stolen from the parking lot of the Red Lobster in Dayton Beach several years ago. He said there had to be a hundred bikes in the lot and only his was stolen. He said he locked the front fork and the ignition. Leos told him to forget it he would never see it again. They told him teams of theives go out with box trucks with tail gates using skate boards to roll them away when the front forks are locked. Leos said they are so fast it's "gone in 60 seconds". He foolishly didn't put theft insurance on the bike when he bought it 'cause there was no financing.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Had a Yamaha dirt bike nicked from my garage some years ago, police found it dumped a couple of days later, and apart from the ignition switch which had been screwed up with a screw driver to start the bike it was fine.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 AM
roofgunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can tell you about an H-D is in 1977, while at the AMA race in the Poconos, (PA) a couple that was with us that had a H-D. We were in the grandstands. We had parked out bikes (H-D, Kaws, Suzukis and maybe a Honda) parked where we could see them. The owner happened to see a UHaul around our bikes. Of course it was quite a distance from where we were. Of course there was noise, tons of people, etc. and the racing was going on. All the sudden, the owner takes off. By the time he got to his bike, the bike and UHaul were gone. Of course back in the "OLD DAYS" we didn't have cell phones. I don't think they ever found the UHAUL or the bike.

When I worked for Kaw in American Canyon, CA. (N. of Vallejo on Rt. 29) we had two dirt bikes stolen off the showroom one night. And while I was wrenching there, a guy brought in a bike and I noticed the VIN #'s were etched out, but I didn't say anything and filled out the work order and got the address, name, phone number and told the guy I'd fix it. After he left I called the CHP and told them I had a probable stolen vehicle. They showed up, took the bike and they called me back. They were able to bring back the VIN number and told me the bike had been stolen about two years prior in the San Jose area. And guess what: The guy that brought the bike in never came back to pick it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This spring at the Thunder Beach rally in Panama City Beach, FL it happened. We were sitting on the patio of a restaurant eating dinner one night and the guy at the next table got his Harley stolen, and he was parked two bikes away from mine. Our bikes were slightly blocked by some bushes, but all I had to do was crane my neck to see them. I looked over regularly, but never saw anything out of the ordinary. He said his ignition was locked and his alarm was activated. We were right there on the main drag with tons of people around. Whoever did it had some serious *****. Made me sick to my stomach, so I can only imagine what the owner was feeling. I think he said his bike was nothing special, mostly stock. I guess they just pick random bikes that are accessible.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:00 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Years ago i heard of a guy who had his sportster parked behind his car in his driveway, the bike was chained to an iron guttering down pipe attached to his house. One morning the bike was gone, a chunk of the pipe had been sawn out, and there were dents and boot prints on the roof of his car where the thieves had literally lifted the bike over the car, must have been some real strong bastards.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:39 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Came close last year. Bike was parked in the driveway where I could see it through the storm door. I heard noises and then heard the alarm chirp. I opened the door so my 2 dogs could get out. They took the idiot down and I held him at gun point til the LEO's arrived.
Went and bought the dogs a steak after that.

Quick Reply: Any one ever had their Harley stolen?