General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one ever had their Harley stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:35 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
Notice a disturbing trend reading all these accounts? You should.

If your bike was stolen, there's a 99.9% chance it was stolen by other bikers. The more contact you have with other bikers, the more chance there is that something bad will happen.

Sad but true.
Well, duh! I mean, who else but a biker would want a motorcycle anyway?

Old 10-07-2016, 10:39 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,247 Likes on 12,064 Posts

Sad part about all these stories is the stolen bikes are still out there. They have ground off and restamped vins and clone, aftermarket frames still carrying the stolen tins. Many stolens went into shipping containers and are being enjoyed by new owners in Russia.

Last edited by upflying; 10-07-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by mooseye
My Sport was ridden right out of my shed in the middle of the night about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Had a guy come by to look at some dirt work and another guy I didn't know that worked for him was drooling all over my scooter and checking the tires and sitting on it and wanting to know how often I rode it. All this after I had told him it wasn't for sale and I should have punched him for f*(*ooling with it anyway. I see the red flags clearly now.
Two nights later it rode off without me.
The morning I discovered it missing I was looking over my place here cause I couldn't believe anyone could have pushed it up my driveway and didn't consider that they had just started it up and rode it out. Well, while looking around I hear a Harley start up and blast off somewhere a couple of miles away. I said "that sounds like my bike" . Turns out it was and when they blasted off on it the cops got after them. The fuzz was evaded but the rear belt was popped in the process. My bike spent that night in the woods and then was loaded and hidden on a big farm owned by the thief's father. The very guy that help load it from the woods found out who's it was and told me straight out who took it, who had it and where it probably still was.
I guess word got back to the thief that I was getting too close so they decided to move it. The idiots didn't have experience towing I guess and tied the rope to the bike. When they came out of the side road that this big multi-million dollar farm is on and the family the road is named for they couldn't let go of the rope and it bodyslammed them and the bike. I guess it broke the ski rope at the same time so they just left it laying there in the ditch.
Tweaked the fender strut and trashed the blinker, lot of red clay and a few scratches. Oh, and the belt, helmet, fork bag and tool bag.
I never figured to see it again, especially in any kind of decent condition. I guess that stock belt from '95 saved it. Only about 14000 miles on the bike.
I had the "roving gang" experience with the LEO who came out. He only got out of his car for a few seconds when he first got here. Never looked or even asked where it was parked or if I had any idea who might have taken it. It was a couple of days later before I remembered the douch drooling over it.
So, even though I didn't really know the guy, I had met him. And hope to again! Turns out he is well known to the local cops but they say can't prove anything and of course he denies it.
I got my scoot back but probably several hundred in repairs out of my pocket and I just feel violated every time I think about it.
I would like to call out names but like the cops, I have no real proof unless I could get the guy who told me to testify. LOL
I don't really know what I could do now????
Takes *****, some intelligence & most of all, discretion, but it shouldn't be too difficult ti express yer displeasure with the perp.