Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
17.50%
No
66.25%
No Opinion
16.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Is the Moco Giving us Enough on a New Scoot?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:34 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Is the Moco Giving us Enough on a New Scoot?

For years, the Moco has been saying we put a restrictive exhaust because it's legal. If you do a custom exhaust to get more HP, it's cause it doesn't meet noise, etc. standards.

Now, with the O2 sensors, they are like you gotta use our exhaust, with our sensors and it's legal and warrantee is not voided. So my question is, has the Moco gone too far in terms of giving us a striped bike. If they've got a street legal exhaust, Stage 1 air and map, why isn't that included with my 18k bike?

I realize that the Moco makes much on add ons as does the dealer. But have they gone too far? I'm paying 18+k for a new bike. Shouldn't I get the extra 10% in HP and Torque that the Moco can provide with the exhaust, breather and map for 18K? We've all been conditioned but that's a HECK of a LOT of money for a motorcycle. Shouldn't I get chrome handlebars? Shouldn't the front end of a RK or Fatboy be chrome?

You've got to decide where that line is between giving good product for the money and leaving room for options is, and I just think H-D has moved a little too far in the direction of leaving stuff out that we'll buy later.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:53 AM
GreighWolf
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the Moco Giving us Enough on a New Scoot?

IMO part of the attraction is customizing your bikes to suit your individual taste. Sure, HD could throw a stage 1 upgrade onto all the bikes but then they would all be "cookie cutter" bikes.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Why stop at a stage I, why not a stage II. Why don't you just buy a CVO that has all the toys and extra OOMPH already? Bad MOCO, wanting to make a profit, who do they think they are!?

You get what you pay for

Old 11-17-2006, 11:04 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

There is a difference between "customizing" and the things we virtually ALL do to get to the point where we start customizing. Like Stage 1, particularly on the new bikes. One reason I didn't buy a Fatboy is all the money I'd have to put into the front end just to get to a reasonable level of chrome. I shouldn't pay 18k and have to live with rough metal..

If we all do it, like Stage 1, it's not customizing in my opinion, it should be included to let us use that money to customize...

Old 11-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be purchasing a RK this summer, '07, and my question is how reliable is a SE touring bike. I don't want to buy a SE RK if its not reliable on the road. What I mean is, with the upgraded performance, can you still ride long distance with the same reliability as a stock RK. Maybe I should ask this question in the touring section, but couldn't resist since I'm already here.

I believe we, the customer, should be able to order the bikes with the stage I upgrades from the factory instead of adding it later at a higher price. Just my .02

Old 11-17-2006, 12:22 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: dexo54

I'll be purchasing a RK this summer, '07, and my question is how reliable is a SE touring bike. I don't want to buy a SE RK if its not reliable on the road. What I mean is, with the upgraded performance, can you still ride long distance with the same reliability as a stock RK. Maybe I should ask this question in the touring section, but couldn't resist since I'm already here.

I believe we, the customer, should be able to order the bikes with the stage I upgrades from the factory instead of adding it later at a higher price. Just my .02
Harley is regulated by our goverment(EPA) as to tuning, their hands are tied as what they can do BEFORE the sale and new EPA regulations now tie them down on what they can do after the sale. As to getting enough for your money, if you feel your not, buy something you feel does. Maybe a 50k iron horse, a 80k OCC, In the big twin world Harley still gives you more rumble for your buck. Even a kit bike from Drag Specilties or Custom Chrome costs over 14k for the cheapest one and you have to assemble and have it painted.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:28 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

The new Stage 1 kits ARE LEGAL. That's the point. If they're legal why aren't they there from the factory...

Old 11-17-2006, 12:39 PM
cwilks
Banned

You can't serious, because its a business and their NEVER going to give anything away when people keep PAYING for all the extra's. Hell why stop at Stage 1, why don't they just ask everyone who buy's a scoot want they want to add, and give that to us? They sell --we buy--pretty simple stuff, if you don't like their business plan then don't buy. Now , you want to talk about company's ripping people off lets talk Exxon/Mobil..............

Old 11-17-2006, 12:42 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It would be nice if you could select from different wheels,seats,exhaust,bags,chrome,etc. when ordering from the factory.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:42 PM
xmeter
Tourer

Amen cwilks....Amen

Quick Reply: Is the Moco Giving us Enough on a New Scoot?