General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
17.50%
No
66.25%
No Opinion
16.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Is the Moco Giving us Enough on a New Scoot?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is the Moco Giving us Enough on a New Scoot?

Check my post again Harley is the ONLY manufacturer who is offering the 6 speed on ALL of its full size models. Harley is the ONLY manufacturer offering a 2 year warranty on all its bikes.

I don't get it at all, your concern is you're not fast enough?? You would have known that when you bought the bike. If it really embarrasses you that you're not as fast as a Triumph or a Victory, then you should buy one. I'm not knocking either bike, they are great for what they are...........but I also don't feel the need to race one either............I guess my concern is not that my stick is bigger than the next guys. There are things you are not considering...........so the Rockets faster, it also costs just as much and has no resale value (I do this for a living, so yes I know what the resale is). So if you buy one, did you get your moneys worth? Only if you never sell it. the same with Victory, great bike, but there are dealerships closing everywhere, the bikes aren't selling and the Bluebook value is ridiculous. In other words, I'll stick with a proven history, over what is the fastest...........I don't plan on throwing my money away.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:35 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

In that case, compare the purchase of a USED Triumph or a Victory to a Harley. Makes them even a better deal...

And comparing one 5 speed to another six is not fair. Based on gearing, etc. Second, BMW offers six speeds in virtually every bike.

I'm not talking exclusively about performance. I'm saying that a Fatboy or a Heritage should not come with a bare metal front fork. It's a $18,000 motorcycle. Don't make me spend $23,000 just to get it where it looks "nice".

Take a look at this post https://www.hdforums.com/m_964990/tm.htm in particular listen to what rrockefe has to say. That as we get nickeled and dimed it makes each of us get closer to where we'd look at something else. I LOVE to ride. I don't HAVE to ride a Harley. I WANT to ride a Harley.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:55 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

The new Stage 1 kits ARE LEGAL. That's the point. If they're legal why aren't they there from the factory...
why dont they just give you a 103 from the factory? Why does my new cars not come with an open element intake? aftermarket exhaust? is it only Harley? or maybe every auto and motorcycle manufacture... OH MY!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, I read that thread and do not agree with Whiskers either, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think he is wrong either, I just don't agree with it. Yes the Harley seat was going to cost a little more, but if it matched my bike and that was what I really wanted, then I would buy it, it's that simple. I'd shop around, even on ebay, but in the end, I would buy the seat. Whiskers doesn't want to spend the money and that's okay also.

As for not getting enough for your $18,000, again, I don't agree. Harley makes a good bike, it reasonably holds it's value better than any other manufacturer and I know what I'm getting......flaws and all. You hit the nail on the head with your last comment - "I LOVE to ride. I don't HAVE to ride a Harley. I WANT to ride a Harley" - You are absolutely right, you don't have to ride a Harley. Why would you choose to lay out $18,000 and then complain - "I'm not getting enough for my money" - why wouldn't you solve your own problem right from the start and buy something else. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I really don't understand why someone would buy ANYTHING knowing full well what they were getting......and then say "I didn't get enough"

Old 11-19-2006, 12:26 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not complaining. I bought a Deuce because I could buy it and the front end was chrome, etc. I didn't feel I needed to add a lot. But I didn't buy a Fatboy, which I wanted, because it needed 4k in chrome to get to where the Deuce was.

What I'm saying is I voted with my $. I'm happy. But I shouldn't be making the argument. For $18k it shouldn't be "if you wanted something more". At 18k, it should be the best. Period.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:59 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

The six speed is recent. Others have been offering it for years. In fact it's a good example of something that had to be added for some 15 years from the aftermarket that Harley could have offered years before.

We're not talking about the custom bits. I'm talking about buying the base bike. Why should a Triumph Speed Triple have so much more power than an H-D?

There's a guy in another post who is saying he could have bought the Triple instead of his Bob. Harley would have him locked in, and most guys who bought Triumph Rocket III's if they offered more power (not like the 96, I'm talkin 11 second power...)
Well if you had all that power your insurance would be higher. And Harley makes bike with tons of power and they sit on the show room floor unsold.

I do think they should put more chrome on a stock bike. Of course it all comes down to supply and demand. If more people start buying Hondas, Yamaha, and Suzuki cruisers Harley will be forced to make changes in price or include more on a stock bike.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:10 AM
kmm
Road Captain

OK I'll argue safety

That $54 module which consists of 2 red lenses and a pigtail

SHOULD BE STOCK ON ALL BIKES

When I got mine tried to sell it to me for $96 installed

Told them I think manage unscrewing a bolt and disconnecting a pigtail

" Make sure you have it it is safer than the amber non running lights and non brake light"

In which I wholeheartily agree

Old 11-21-2006, 08:57 AM
kmm
Road Captain

They dont care about us just the share holders

Old 11-21-2006, 03:35 PM
nightwing1
6th Gear

Just .02 for a thought here. I am new to this forum but have been ridding for more than 20 years on dirt and street. After reading all the posted replies about HD giving enough on the bikes for the price....take this in thought.....
1. Should a person have to buy an exaust shield to replace the factory installed piece for 84.00 becouse the factory peice is 4" shorter and shows the blued-up pipe that takes away from the looks but that could have been installed to give it a cleaner finished look?
2. Should a person have to buy bolt covers @ 245.00 per kit to cover up ugly galvanized bolts or buy plated bolts in the least that could have been installed when the bike was built.
3. Should a person have to buy new japan made foot pegs becouse HD thinks that people will most likley change them anyway.

These are just a few of the things that HD COULD DO to improve the picture....Why should you have to buy things that are put on half @@@ed to begin with. Why not just leave the exaust shield off.....Then you would be able to buy the piece you liked instead of paying for it 2 times. Why put foot pegs on it that may cost HD .30 cent to have made out of a bar of steel with rubber wraped around it...There again giving you the option to put a nice set on from Japan.

What really is sad to say....I have had metrics and American.....and when I go to get parts for the metrics they say made in USA on them....get parts for the American they say made in Japan...go figure. Metrics come with plated bolts, full heat shealds, Nice but not great foot pegs, why can't HD step up and do the same. If you don't like the part thats on it maybe some else will, but not if it took away from the bikes looks to begin with.

There are a lot of good points to be made about Upgrades.....but why not add the little things. Not big bore kits pipes and all the amenities you can think of. Just the little things that help give a finished look on the floor.

This is where it all stems from. Don't bash me for stating this....But truth is truth. There are some things that can be done to the bikes that will be on it for a long time from the factory that clearly would make it look better from the git go and give it a cleaner more finished look.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:02 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

Your right Harley needs more metric plastic chrome parts.... Sounds like you should keep riding your metric... I'll keep my crappy HD...

Quick Reply: Is the Moco Giving us Enough on a New Scoot?