General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mesh Jackets = protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fizzylizzy
The blah..blah
Don't spam my thread

Last edited by Cowpokey; 09-01-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Saltwaterwop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I inherited my father in laws Sportster I also got his heavy leather jacket.
It became obvious it wasn't gonna work down here in the Summer with zero ventilation. So I researched the options for cooler protection and being a compromise sort of person I went with this HD Perforated Leather jacket with CE Armor:

http://www.thehouseofharley.com/Men-...M.htm?click=10

It has the elements I was looking for: Heavy Leather, Semi High Vis, CE Armor, Perforated Leather body panels/Solid Leather sleeves and a Zip out liner.

It was on a close out sale due to being discontinued, likely because it isn't 1%'er cool but I like it.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My BMG leather jacket has been fine on all but three of the hottest days here in the western NY summer.

The Powertrip convertible textile/mesh jacket I have saved me in a slide on wet, slimy pavement, but I honestly would NOT trust it at all on dry pavement, being that the zippers sometimes break and have to be rethreaded through.

If I was going to buy an extreme hot weather jacket, I would get a dianese perforated leather jack, or a mesh jacket from Rev'it.

As far as abrasion protection goes, though nothing beats thick leather, BUT I'm VERY impressed with Rev'it's "super fabric."

I have it on the knees of my winter riding pants, and that stuff seems like it would just slide along for a mile without breaking through. It's tiny bits of ceramics laminated onto some sort of really tough flexible resin, I think.

Textiles are coming a long way. But not the cheap crap, that stuff is largely still cheap crap, IMO>

Last edited by cameraboy; 09-01-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
Don't spam my thread
Sorry, wasn't meaning to.

My Harley mesh jacket isn't Cordura fabric, but it would most likely be better than just a t-shirt sliding down the asphalt. After one 35 mph 'get off' wearing it, with the zip-off cover still zipped on, it still looks good.

The older I get, the more I like to over-research things...it happens.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by frontiercat
Sorry, wasn't meaning to.
Wasn't you. Must have missed out, there was someone by the name of "fizzylizzy" that spooged all over the board with the same exact post trying to advertise...so no worries to you.

My Harley mesh jacket isn't Cordura fabric, but it would most likely be better than just a t-shirt sliding down the asphalt. After one 35 mph 'get off' wearing it, with the zip-off cover still zipped on, it still looks good.

The older I get, the more I like to over-research things...it happens.
The older I get the more I realize I shouldn't impulse buy ANYTHING. hehe

Old 09-02-2011, 07:50 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
Wasn't you. Must have missed out, there was someone by the name of "fizzylizzy" that spooged all over the board with the same exact post trying to advertise...so no worries to you.

The older I get the more I realize I shouldn't impulse buy ANYTHING. hehe
I reported that guy and the mods struck with the quickness.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:15 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I picke dup a jacket that's mesh on the chest, inner arms, and lower back. All the strike points are pretty thick leather - as long as I'm moving, it's nice.

Stop for a light, though, and I cook in the 100+ summer down here.

Went for a little 5-hour ride today without it - first time I've been that far from home without the jacket, and I'm not sure if I like it. Felt good to ride in just the T, but I spent more time thinking about going down than I usually do.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you want the best, you can't beat Aerostich. It is custom made for you, textile with CE armor, probably worn by more long distance tourers of anything out there. Go to aerostich.com to look. It's a little too spendy for my pocket book, so I bought Olympia gear. Lite weight, airy, and very protective.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have one of those HD mesh jackets with the stupid looking skull and oil patches (which i removed) and pair it with my Fox Creek vest - it is sized to fit over my FXRG jacket so when used with the mesh jacket it allows plenty of air in to stay cool when moving, I can add my FXRG liner under the two and be set for days with cool mornings that warm up in the afternoon, I do need to get the armour panels for it though.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 PM
xbs1200
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I both wear mesh jackets in the squelching summer heat of Houston Tx. I like the air-flow that my jacket provides however I like my husband's jacket better. Not only does it have the zip-out liner and reflectors but it also has the elbow elastic fasteners. I find that my sleeves tend to flap in the wind without them thus rendering the elbow pads useless in an event of a fall. It can also be distracting at times. BTW... nice jacket.

Quick Reply: Mesh Jackets = protection