General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mesh Jackets = protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure mesh is definitely better than nothing which is extremely tempting when hot as hell outside this time of year. Mesh breaths just like a t-shirt and will eliminate probably 80-90% of the rash you'd get in a t-shirt.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Just bought this jacket "used" this morning. Going to use it for my trip to San Francisco in October...it is the Olympia Moto-X with mesh panels...it isn't exactly a mesh jacket, but it does have some big mesh panels on the chest, back and under the arms...

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/xmo...motojacket.htm

Last edited by frontiercat; 08-30-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: learning to spell
Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice reflective strips too.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

There is mesh and then there is MESH. Some mesh contains high abrasion resistent materials. Also, most mesh jackets are armored, as mine is in the elbows, shoulders, collarbone, back and tailbone. The mesh's function is not only to take the road rash for you but also to hold the armor in position.

I have ridden my TourMaster Air Intake 2 at temperatures up to 103 degrees and stayed comfortable. (It is way cooler than bare skin exposed to the sun.) Plus I had armor in all the right places. My wife's Cortech is the same.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Hot Rod King
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0. It was kinda pricey but the reviews were excellent. Also, had reviews from people who went down in them and they said it phenomenal how well they were protected.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Only mesh I know of that is abraison resistant is from this company http://www.motoport.com/ It's definitely expensive and not necessarily "Harly-ish" but if you can spend the money and aren't worried about the Harley fashion police...it's a fantastic option. Their gear is well-known in the ADV Tourer and sport bike crowd.

Have read countless testimonials on other forums and everyone that has their gear is loves it. Their website is awful, but it's USA made and owned by an extremely customer oriented guy with a mc background.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 PM
elkhunter719
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact jacket you are waiting to pick up. It has a removable liner for a little cooler weather and pockets for armor. I wear it daily in the summer because it is cooler than the leather and the scotch brite really shows up well after dark. The road I ride is dark and I'll take every bit of protection it provides from bugs at night and being seen a long way off from cagers. I would rather have this between me and the bugs or road surface than just my skin. Who gives a rat's a$$ if someone else doesn't like it. As long as you like it thats all that matters.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

"I think an armored leather jacket is the way to go - as long as you dont die of heat stroke while wearing it."

My "summer jacket" is a FirstGear leather jacket that's "perforated". The leather appears to be the heaviest grade available, but it's got thousands of holes punched in it -- hold it up to the light, and the light "comes through". It's also got body armor in the usual places.

Cost $400 back then, and at the time, the "mesh type" jackets weren't but a blip on the market as of yet. Not even sure if they make these any more, probably not market-competitive against all the mesh jackets that are out there now.

Of course you're hot under a heavy jacket like that while standing still in the summer sun, but move out and things get much better. If I can't bear to wear that in the heat of the summer, the day's too hot for riding...

- John

Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I don't think most of the HD line of armor is CE approved though.
every piece of hd armor that i've seen has the ce sticker on it. so i think you might be mistaken there.

for the op, as the 'safety guy' i'm surprised you didn't go with the hi vis jacket instead of black. now you'll have to wear a second piece of gear everytime you ride (high vis/reflective vest).

i just picked up one, can't find the link for it, but it's a pretty nice jacket and alleviates the need for me to wear a second piece of gear just to get on post (i'm retired, so i don't have to wear the vest all the time, unlike active duty). if i'm wearing a long sleeved shirt to work, i can zip the sleeves off and use it as a vest. short sleeved, leave the sleeves on. yeah, it's bright and obnoxious, but i always wear long sleeves when i ride, dehydration and sunburn are a bitch. and if it helps me to be seen, then that's a good thing too.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
for the op, as the 'safety guy' i'm surprised you didn't go with the hi vis jacket instead of black. now you'll have to wear a second piece of gear everytime you ride (high vis/reflective vest).

i just picked up one, can't find the link for it, but it's a pretty nice jacket<snip>
I was going to get the HD Hi Vis mesh jacket. I looked at them several times, the look really nice. I can't seem to find them available anymore. I saw what looks like a newer version (slightly different style) hanging on the rack, but can't find that one on any of the HD dealer online sales sites, or even the main site. I'd have bought either one of the Hi Vis mesh jackets off the rack here, but the overseas (local) prices for anything that is currently offered (i.e. not discontinued/clearance rack) is roughly double the U.S. MSRP. The guys I ride with have dubbed me "Road Cone" because of the other Hi Vis stuff I already have...rain suit, the fleece hoodie, vest, etc. So the Hi Vis mesh jacket was my first choice when I decided to get a mesh jacket. Timing didn't work out...

Last edited by Cowpokey; 08-31-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Mesh Jackets = protection