General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could use some touring seat advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011 | 09:35 PM
right hook
|
Cruiser
Default Could use some touring seat advice...

I ride an 08 Road King Classic with a stock seat and an adjustable Harley backrest. Without the backrest pad installed I feel a little higher than I want to be, with the backrest I feel too high up and too far forward, almost like I'm sitting on the tank. I like having lower back support on long rides, but I'm way forward. I even had the backrest angle bent further to the rear at a welding shop but I still don't feel comfortable.
I've gotten used to the feel of other bikes I've owned and I'm looking for lower and further back- the more of both the better.
I've seen too many times where guys keep throwing money at the problem of finding the right seat and I'm trying to avoid that.
So what seat am I looking for?

Thanks in advance for any good advice from anyone who's been in my situation.

Old 08-28-2011 | 09:48 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

If I was starting again the first road trip id take would be Corbin in Hollister. I was there this last spring and watched them custom fit a seat on my brothers bike as well as a couple others. Unlike off the self seats from them or anyone they will make it fit for you while you wait. First class operation

Old 08-28-2011 | 10:04 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Corbin seats tend to sit you down into the bike more and a bit further back. Other seats may do the same of course, but I do know the Corbins seem to do this.

Corbins are not for everyone. They are very very firm (bordering on HARD) but they are comfortable despite this. I've now had Corbins on 3 different bikes and every time it was the last seat I put on that bike.

I have a Danny Gray solo BigSeat that is a low and back fit also (it's for sale btw, shameless plug sorry). I dont know about their Touring seats though. But the to DG solos I've had both sat you down into the bike and back.

Others can chime in ref C&C, Mustang, Danny Gray, etc.

Old 08-28-2011 | 10:14 PM
right hook
|
Cruiser

I did sit on a Road King at a dealership that had a Corbin installed that did put me in a good location, but I've been concerned about long term comfort on what seems like a thin seat to me (I could be off base in that judgement because I never owned one though...)

Old 08-28-2011 | 10:17 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Search "Mustang Super Touring". Moves you back almost 2 inches and down about 1. I love mine. Will not work with Moco adjustable backrest tho.

Old 08-28-2011 | 10:23 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by right hook
I did sit on a Road King at a dealership that had a Corbin installed that did put me in a good location, but I've been concerned about long term comfort on what seems like a thin seat to me (I could be off base in that judgement because I never owned one though...)
All Corbins are fairly firm off the shelf and I wouldn't buy one without going to them directly. My brother for example isnt very heavy and the standard seat from them was like a brick. They cut out a lot of the original foam and put in much softer but very supportive stuff and then recovered it. What a beautiful job and that seat is awesome. Again, I wouldn't buy one stock they are really hard but I'd for sure have them work one for me on the spot.

Old 08-28-2011 | 10:25 PM
Fnortner
Road Master

Mustangs are dandy.

Old 08-28-2011 | 10:25 PM
right hook
|
Cruiser

Nevada72, do you happen to know if the Harley detachable passenger backrest works with that seat?

Old 08-28-2011 | 10:27 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member

I have been through multiple seats. I will never ride with anything but a Corbin Dualtour again.

Old 08-28-2011 | 10:30 PM
right hook
|
Cruiser

Vistavette if they were a little closer I'd go that route and get a custom fit, but I'm a half mile from the Atlantic ocean- over here in hurricane country. I think Corbin is in California?

Quick Reply: Could use some touring seat advice...