General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could use some touring seat advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011 | 10:02 PM
right hook
|
Cruiser

Thanks to all for the great advice.
Sounds like Corbin would be a great choice if they weren't 3,000 miles away. Mustang sets up a tent at a lot of rallys in this area so I'll see them in Ocean City Maryland during bike week in a couple weeks. If nothing really works out of their choices with fit and price I have Mean City customization , C&C, and Ultimate to look at also.

Old 08-30-2011 | 03:17 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jack46
I also have a 08 R.K. Bike is in dealer now having Heritage handle bars installed . will the Mustang seat mentioned above that lowers & pushes down & back put me back to square one with my handle bar situation ? I hope this was the place for this question .
Guess that depends on how far back and how low the bars are. If they pull back another two inches and are 1 inch lower (from your original bars), you will be close to square one.

Old 09-26-2011 | 09:02 PM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

Unfortunately, I spoke with them today, and the gentleman in Canada told me that he didn't think I would be happy with his seat. He said that they maintain a near stock position, and that it is good for people up to 6' tall and an inseam of 32" max. After that, riders will feel cramped. I asked why he didn't make seats with pushback, and he said that the HD frame is too small, and that they are limited by the rear fender and passenger seating area... that if HD would realize that a lot of their customers are bigger guys, and made an XL frame with a couple of extra inches in it, they could do that, and avoid all of the time / energy / money that a lot of us taller folks go through trying to get comfortable. He said the frame on the Goldwing is good, but the engine position isn't, and you have to spread your legs like you are getting a pelvic exam when using their highway pegs, so those tall riders struggle too. Oh well... the games... and spending... continue!

(like
Originally Posted by checkers
There is only 1 aftermarket seat that is worth the investment and that is an Utimate Seat. Go to their web site and select Harley Davidson. They have different seat sizes etc. What makes them the best is they are not waterproof and they breathe and they are fitted to a rider by size. Their seats actually set you into the bike and you will not find a better seat or accessorie for your seat. Many spend 100's of dollars on "fixes" that dont work well,then buy one of these seats and state I wish I would have done this before I spent all that money on stuff that didnt work. These seats are "that" good. If you make a seat purchase I would not go with the optional colors, stitching, monograms logos etc. it will preclude you from moving to a different bike or limit a buyer for the seat in the future. This company will give you a 14 day trial on this seat, who else is that confident you wont return it.

Old 10-09-2011 | 04:28 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RoadKingKamchi
Unfortunately, I spoke with them today, and the gentleman in Canada told me that he didn't think I would be happy with his seat. He said that they maintain a near stock position, and that it is good for people up to 6' tall and an inseam of 32" max. After that, riders will feel cramped. I asked why he didn't make seats with pushback, and he said that the HD frame is too small, and that they are limited by the rear fender and passenger seating area... that if HD would realize that a lot of their customers are bigger guys, and made an XL frame with a couple of extra inches in it, they could do that, and avoid all of the time / energy / money that a lot of us taller folks go through trying to get comfortable. He said the frame on the Goldwing is good, but the engine position isn't, and you have to spread your legs like you are getting a pelvic exam when using their highway pegs, so those tall riders struggle too. Oh well... the games... and spending... continue!

(like
When I demo rode the RK, I knew it would be like being on vacation, I was wrong, it was like a paid vacation. I am tired of the pelvic examine and the knee pain.

I just sent Des(Ultimate seats) off questions on this one minute ago. That is first class, A business owner telling you why you will not be happy the way it will fit you, he is going to tell me the same thing, bet. I have an Ultimate King Big Boy 4 pc studded set on my Valkyrie, as far as I am concerned the best on the continent, but $1100. He is at large shows/rallies and you can borrow a seat to try. I hope I am not breaking a rule, ultimateseats., my wife loves it more than I do.

I feel I need moved back and up on a new RK

Old 10-09-2011 | 04:53 PM
TNCarters
Road Master

Have the HD Hammock and pretty happy with it. The newer rider/passenger hammock sits you back an inch and down slightly. They have at least 3 versions; older rider only, new rider/passenger and new with heat. The seat is similar to the one they put on the CVO Ultra if you want to try one on a bike. I still need to add a backrest.