General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could use some touring seat advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011 | 10:32 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by right hook
Nevada72, do you happen to know if the Harley detachable passenger backrest works with that seat?
My "guess" is that it would as it attaches just like the stocker - i.e. I wouldn't think it would interfere with the backrest. But, give Mustang a call. They are very helpful and will give you the definitive answer.

On Corbin - too hard for me. But, like they say, there's a seat for every *** and Corbin sells a lot of seats. The Mustang is firm, but softer than the Corbin and a lot firmer than the stock Ultra seat. Wider too.

Whatever seat you buy, do a Google search of the part number. I got my Mustang for $150 less than the Mustang site sells them for.

Old 08-29-2011 | 02:11 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default Even the 'nonadjustable' backrest is adjustable

Under the seat the mount can be moved back or forward and the pillow itself can be moved back or forward with an Allen key. You may also want to check the OEM saddle on the Ultra Classic. The factory saddle is amazing and much less expensive than almost any of the others.

Old 08-29-2011 | 04:04 AM
LRFDe6
Intermediate

http://www.meancitycycles.com/

Meancity cycles is a great deal. You send them your stock seat and they reshape, add/subtract foam or gel or whatever you can think of, move your riding position up/down forward or back. And since they use your seat it really keeps the cost down. It doesn't take too long either, its done by appointment. You call/email and they will give you a date to have the seat there by (NC i think), have it there on time and they will do the mods and have it shipped back same day. They did the seat on my last bike and they will do some work on my new UC as soon as winter hits.

Old 08-29-2011 | 08:33 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

If you ride two up, make sure that she is involved in the purchase. I bought a reach seat, and loved it. Put me in the right spot on the bike and felt great. My wife hated the thing and said that it made her butt go numb in anly a few miles. If the wife is not happy.....................

Old 08-29-2011 | 10:33 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

I am a big guy, tall and hmmm heavy. And Corbin all the way. Firm enough to not let my tailbone hit the seat pan and also moves me back for my long legs. Can't say enough positive things about my Corbin.

Old 08-29-2011 | 11:56 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by LRFDe6
http://www.meancitycycles.com/

Meancity cycles is a great deal. You send them your stock seat and they reshape, add/subtract foam or gel or whatever you can think of, move your riding position up/down forward or back. And since they use your seat it really keeps the cost down. It doesn't take too long either, its done by appointment. You call/email and they will give you a date to have the seat there by (NC i think), have it there on time and they will do the mods and have it shipped back same day. They did the seat on my last bike and they will do some work on my new UC as soon as winter hits.
1+ they have done two seats for me; great company.

Old 08-29-2011 | 12:04 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Looks like I will be the first here to recommend C&C seats. I have the SportTourer in leather with their padded backrest. With the wider frame on the 2010 StreetGlide, the stock seat was just to wide. Went for another Corbin (Gunslinger&Lady on my FXR2) but couldnt get what I wanted (Corbin not what they used to be IMHO). C&C is top quality well made and Chuck&Chuey are great to deal with. They will make it for you!

Old 08-29-2011 | 01:18 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by right hook
I ride an 08 Road King Classic with a stock seat and an adjustable Harley backrest. Without the backrest pad installed I feel a little higher than I want to be, with the backrest I feel too high up and too far forward, almost like I'm sitting on the tank. I like having lower back support on long rides, but I'm way forward. I even had the backrest angle bent further to the rear at a welding shop but I still don't feel comfortable.
I've gotten used to the feel of other bikes I've owned and I'm looking for lower and further back- the more of both the better.
I've seen too many times where guys keep throwing money at the problem of finding the right seat and I'm trying to avoid that.
So what seat am I looking for?

Thanks in advance for any good advice from anyone who's been in my situation.
There is only 1 aftermarket seat that is worth the investment and that is an Utimate Seat. Go to their web site and select Harley Davidson. They have different seat sizes etc. What makes them the best is they are not waterproof and they breathe and they are fitted to a rider by size. Their seats actually set you into the bike and you will not find a better seat or accessorie for your seat. Many spend 100's of dollars on "fixes" that dont work well,then buy one of these seats and state I wish I would have done this before I spent all that money on stuff that didnt work. These seats are "that" good. If you make a seat purchase I would not go with the optional colors, stitching, monograms logos etc. it will preclude you from moving to a different bike or limit a buyer for the seat in the future. This company will give you a 14 day trial on this seat, who else is that confident you wont return it.

Last edited by checkers; 08-29-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2011 | 05:37 PM
BRW
Tourer

Like wa said if you go with Corbin go there & let them fit you they make great seats but the custom fit is 100 times better than off the shelf.

Old 08-29-2011 | 09:49 PM
jack46
Intermediate

I also have a 08 R.K. Bike is in dealer now having Heritage handle bars installed . will the Mustang seat mentioned above that lowers & pushes down & back put me back to square one with my handle bar situation ? I hope this was the place for this question .

Quick Reply: Could use some touring seat advice...