General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender/charger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:39 PM
kjr2492
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery tender/charger?

I have an 04 sportster that has a black plug next to the battery. When I bought the bike I was told it was for a trickle charger. I have only found charges that have the standard clips that go on the terminals. I'm wondering if they make chargers that just have the plug in. Thanks

Old 08-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a battery tender and it will have the plug for the pigtail.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 PM
RideThemBig
Stage II

Thats just the battery connector. Most chargers will work with that type of plug. I have found tenders dont give a full charge. I got 2 genius chargers now. work like a champ. but they do have their own plug. not a big deal, just different than u got. bump...www.geniuschargers.com

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I use the battery Tender Jr, they are on sale here..

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

that site has some good prices, use them a lot..

The Jr's are very well made, heavy duty cables etc.
That one comes with the standard pigtail, plus the old style clip on connectors, and a case, best deal I could find for a decent quality tender.

Be aware that a lot of the cheap chargers are just that, chargers only, and they won't shut off, they just keep charging, NOT good.
The good ones will go into "float mode" when the battery is fully charged so it doesn't get overcharged or worse, blows acid out the drain tube..

Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I have two Battery Tender Jr's (deltran) one on my Ultra and the other on my Triumph; they work great. I just bought a couple more for someone else on Amazon for $23 each. They are a great deal.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr2492
I have an 04 sportster that has a black plug next to the battery. When I bought the bike I was told it was for a trickle charger. ...
Many dealers just install a pigtail as part of their set-up. They're hooking up the battery anyway so the $5 pigtail is no big deal. It is a big deal for us if we utilize it and plug our Tender Jr (or whatever smart charger you prefer) to it anytime the bike will be dormant for a few weeks or longer. I actually put a pigtail on everything I have that has an electric start that may set for a month or more; all motorcycles, lawn tractor, and ATV's and just keep rotating a Tender from one to another.
The other thing it's useful for is as a power source for your electric jacket liner. But do check the fuse on the pigtail as many are only 5 amp, plenty for a charger but usually too low for a heated vest or jacket liner. Just replace it with a 10 amp.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 AM
kjr2492
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hollowpoint
That's it just like that. Thank you everyone for your help. I haven't started the bike in about 1-2 months and now the battery is dead.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a Battery Tender Jr. It will have the charger and two harnesses, one with alligators, one with ring terminals. The Tender will plug and play into most pigtails, even if the pigtail is different looking. The one on our Nightster is wider than my Tender, but the holes line up perfectly and plugs right in. Incidentally, the Battery Tender has a reverse circuit protection, so even if the pigtail is wired backward it will not damage the battery or the electronics.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
I use the battery Tender Jr, they are on sale here..

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

that site has some good prices, use them a lot..

The Jr's are very well made, heavy duty cables etc.
That one comes with the standard pigtail, plus the old style clip on connectors, and a case, best deal I could find for a decent quality tender.

Be aware that a lot of the cheap chargers are just that, chargers only, and they won't shut off, they just keep charging, NOT good.
The good ones will go into "float mode" when the battery is fully charged so it doesn't get overcharged or worse, blows acid out the drain tube..

That price is actually average. I hate it when companies jack the price up just to put them on sale. I got mine from PepBoys for $21.99 regular price.

Quick Reply: Battery tender/charger?