Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever really thought about it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:29 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Have you ever really thought about it?

Yesterday, while out on a ride, the wife said to me; "I want you to promise me something". I said what? She said, "if anything were to ever happen while we are out riding and you survive and I don't, promise me you'll have no regrets (in buying the bike)".

That hit me like a ton of bricks because she is the very best thing to ever come into my life and I'd gladly give up my life for her. I couldn't promise her. Even though she pushed and pushed to get me to, there's no way I could promise that. I know I'd regret it the rest of my life. In fact, kind of made me regret getting the bike in the first place. (that was short lived though ).

And I've never really dwelled on how dangerous riding is, or worried too much about my own skin. I just rode. Started when I was 10.

And I know she loves riding as much as I do, so I don't think this was some attempt to get me to stop riding either.

Anyone else ever get posed that kind of question or thought? Have you ever really thought about losing your loved one? (I know there are a few people here that have lost someone in the past, but was it because of some situation that wouldn't have happened if you done something different?

Old 08-28-2011, 01:34 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes...and I HATE conversations that start with "promise me something"

never thought about it though.....in my experience when it's your time, it's your time and nothing you can do will change the outcome.

so instead of worrying about what might happen, I focus on living and enjoying what time I have here to the utmost.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I would not do anything different.My wife and I both ride and enjoy it very much..It is a very big part of our life and work.. Like DinoVelvet said We focus on living and enjoying what time we have here...

Old 08-28-2011, 03:05 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife has been getting more scared of riding lately. Talking more about it. She rides her own and can ride pretty well (has a XL883C, Ninja 600, and a DRZ). But lately she has hardly ridden and talks a lot about how she doesn't like how much I ride (I don't even have a car--we do errands with the wife's--I ride everywhere, all weather).

For a while I thought she had a good scare out on the road or something but she says no. She just decided that it is a dangerous thing to do.

So she didn't put the "promise me you'll have no regrets" thing to me. She just said, "Why should we do something so dangerous that we don't have to do if it may leave one of us alone?"

She knows I am a good rider, and believes me when I say that I feel safer on a bike than in a car.

She also won't force me to stop riding, but her fear does give me pause. Last thing I want is for her to live in fear.

Haven't figgered out how to handle this one yet.

So, yeah.......I have really thought about it.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:59 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can apply the same fear factor to nearly anything. I have seen a lot more people killed in car wrecks than in motorcycle crashes but everyone seems to keep driving cars. I've also seen people choke to death on food but eating hasn't lost it's popularity. When it's time to go, it's time to go. Ride safe!

Old 08-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. How many people get run over walking, jogging, etc. ?

I dated my ex while riding in high school so it wasn't like she didn't know what I did.
She enjoyed riding with me and we had two very young children at home.
She never tried to lay a guilt trip on me or got an ulcer worrying about what ifs.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:00 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,982 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
yes...and I HATE conversations that start with "promise me something.

Particularly when she starts it at 2am and you where sound asleep 60 seconds earlier .

Old 08-28-2011, 05:06 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe she is just making sure you know that she feels the enjoyment she receives from riding is worth the risk.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Does riding motorcycles have some inherent dangers, yes it does, but so does just about everything people do. If we (motorcycle riders) spent any real time focusing on all the "what if's" and things that could happen the bikes would hardly ever leave the garage. Ride aware, keep you bike in good repair, and most importantly enjoy the ride.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The subject came up after I hit a deer (she witnessed the accident from her own bike). She immediately wanted to sell the bikes. A week later I was riding again (even with a broken shoulder). A couple months later she thanked me for not selling the bikes.

Quick Reply: Have you ever really thought about it?