General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In search of a butt ache cure

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I drove a car or rode a bike for a long time my butt would hurt and I would get shooting pain down my right leg. This went on for years. At a CDL driving class one of the instructors had saw me put my wallet back into my rear pants pocket and said "don't you get *** and leg pain carrying that in your back pocket when you drive"? He said the wallet puts pressure directly on your Sciatic nerve. I thought he was full of Chit but figured I would try taking the wallet out of the back pocket. I would have NEVER believed that was causing all the pain until I started driving and riding without anything in my back pockets (the wallet goes in the front pocket now). All the pain is completely gone and I can drive/ride all day with no pain. Just a thought.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Nevada72 wrote:
"O.E.M. seats are commonly criticized by long distance riders and few serious travelers have them on their bikes for long. There are very few that are good for anything longer than a short country ride. Hence the burgeoning aftermarket seat industry."

Once in a while, there are exceptions.

One of them was the stock seat that came on my 1990 FXRS-sp "Low Rider Sport" (which, sadly, I just let go to get a late-model Road Glide).

That seat was perfectly designed for comfort. I could ride all day on it and not have a tired butt -- although my aging _back_ would grow tired from not having a backrest (but that wasn't the seat's problem).

I'm going to guess that most of the seats that Harley put onto FXR bikes offered similar comfort. The problem was that they didn't really "look cool". Too often the factory Harley seats are designed with "profiling" in mind, and overall rider comfort taking the "back seat" to that consideration.

But that FXR came with a great seat, right from the factory!

- John