General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In search of a butt ache cure

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far I've been overjoyed with this new seat pad. I put 100 miles on the bike yesterday and rode in comfort all the way. Which in itself is a grand relief, cause I'd been avoiding riding it hoping my butt ache would heal itself. This coming weekend I'm riding a 300 mile circle and I'm pretty sure this will tell the tale.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:41 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Montana Cowboy
Here's a reader digest version of my story: Bought my first bike in 20 years, 9 months ago. Piled 9,000 miles on it since then with the longest ride being 1,800 miles in 4 days. I began to notice the more time I spent in the saddle of my 98 Dyna Convetible, the shorter time I could ride without discomfort. Last month or so, my butt ache became so steady, I found myself having to shift around on the couch to what TV!! I began to study the inter-net looking for a remedy.

Two weeks ago I got in the seat pad I hoped would work. I choose the Air Hawk II. It's an air pad....Partner, I am very impressed. I can set down and ride now in total comfort.

As a disclaimer, I've not been on anything more then a 30 minute ride so far.....but looks like I'm not gonna end up a criple after all.

I've noticed in a lot of threads, folks commenting on different seats, and how long they can ride......hope my expierence can help some of you boys like me....a fella without a lot of extra meat to sit down on.
You dont start out being able to stay in the saddle for long periods of time, you kinda work your way into it. the more you ride the longer your rides...so get out there pace yourself making each ride longer and longer. If your bringing your significant other you better get her used to it by bringing her along. Your info doesn't say what bike your riding?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Think old school man , I've got a nice thick sheep hide I throw on mine for the long runs that works better than any of the new age stuff I've tried . With your habits I'm shocked that one hasn't happened yet .
I agree. My *** starts getting sore after about 300 miles on my stock seat on my Ulta Limited but I can ride all day (750 miles is the most I've done in one day so far) with a sheepskin seat cover. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new seat and works great!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

Sheep Skin! Can't explain why it works but it definitely does. 250-300 miles without Sheep Skin = Tail Bone pain. 650 miles and more with Sheep Skin and still feeling like I did at mile 1! I don't wait for the pain to set in before I pull the Sheep Skin out of the bag . . .

Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 PM
knewt5
Road Master

Did about 550 miles this weekend; Half on my new Airhawk Cruiser R and half without it. The difference was night and day and I couldn't be more relieved to have my rear end pain behind me...so to speak.

The reason I didn't use it the whole time is that a friend I was riding with has siatica so I loaned her the seat and she is going to buy one as well as o result of the relief she felt.

All that said, If I can find a seat that offers that kind of comfort I'll buy it rather than using a cushion...not crazy about the way it looks

Old 09-05-2011, 08:55 PM
IowaMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyRide7
Ok all,
I do not have anything nor am I associated with the below mentioned business!!

Your Cure for azz hurting due to your seat is

MEAN CITY CYCLES

This place can fix you up! They are or have been a sponsor of HDF.

I had issue with tail bone pain (almost stopped me from riding) they solved the problem!

MyRide7

Marty
best $100.00 I have spent. They work with you until it is right.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master

Here's a little update from my perspective........Did another 150 miles over the weekend. The butt ache that was plaguing me seems to be a problem of the past. I did a little experimenting with the air pressure and found I was origionally riding with it too filled. Settling way down in it distributes more surface of support over the hind end.............releiving the pressure points on the sore tissue I guess.

I agree with Knewt5 in that it don't look so good when the bikes parked, but good golly miss Molly....I wouldn't think about leaving the garage without it.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM
arlinsg
Road Captain
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I use a thick sheepskin also.
It keeps your butt up off of the seat, and allows a little airflow between you and the seat.
I got back last week from a northern Wa. to Tahoe trip with the sheepskin, with hardly any butt pain.
Took a ride yesterday without it, and started getting a little sore after an hour in the saddle

Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 PM
SJRACER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the Mustang Seats. I have the Super Touring one piece on my 07 FXDWG and it is AWESOME. When I bought my bike new back in 07, I couldn't sit on it for more than 30 minutes without the *** pain. Now I am good to go and don't have any regrets.

Steve

Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 AM
kknickmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've found that a combination of a Mustang seat and losing the forwards did wonders for me. My doctor is a rider and he's the one that told me to dump the forwards. Disk compression was the biggist problem I had. Roads around here suck. Kurt

Quick Reply: In search of a butt ache cure