General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakan Hyperchargers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Its all show and no go.......

Old 09-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
IceMan, does this dirty air actually cause a performance problem like a miss, backfire or anything like that, or just not the power increase that people were expecting ? was there a problem with the actual filtering of the air ?
Here's a review I got from a very seasoned v-twin indy (30+ years wrenching) that explains their flaw:

Because of the way the air travels into the front and out the rear of the Hyper-Charger, instead of forcing air into the carburetor, it actually pulls or "siphons" air (and fuel) out. As a result, you get what has been described as a "dead spot" or lack of power at highway speeds, not to mention the fuel breaks down the oil in your air filter hampering it's usefulness and the fuel mixed with air filter oil tends to deposit itself all over the right side of your bike when you go on long rides and then when you stop it all drips down on the cam cover, your foot, that cigarette butt you just dropped, and so on.

I trust his judgement & he has experienced this problem many times w/rides he worked on throughout the years...

Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
I posted a letter that I got from Kuryakyn quite a while ago on the Hypercharger. If you do a search, you should find it.
They stated that the Hypercharger wasn't worth it unless you had major engine upgrades to give your bike a lot more HP.
When I posted it, there were several guys that chimed in to say they had bought the Hypercharger and when they got their bikes dynoed, they ended up removing the Hypercharger for better performance.

I honestly don't think the hyper charger adds much in the way of performance...But every time a dyno operator tells me they don't do a thing...I have to ask...How can you tell it doesn't anything if the bike is stationary during a dyno pull?

Old 09-03-2011, 04:13 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

It is not the Hyper charger that does anything, it is the K&N filter in it that breathes better than the stock one it replaces. The body of the unit is just for looks as it mimics the breathers on hot rods back in the day.

By the way since my son installed it in 03 and put 18K on it. It has never did one drop of anything as the so called 30 + year Indy reports. Must call BS on that.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a reason the word HYPE is used in the name. imo

Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

I had one on my '96 Evo RoadKing. Now, I bought the bike used from a guy who was NOT the original owner, & it was already on there,and I had NO idea whether the motor was stock or totally built. All I knew was 2 things--it had a Mikuni carb, SE pipes, and it was, out of all my 18 Harleys, the absolute fastest Harley I ever owned (or rode). Did the Hypercharger help? I dunno; maybe it would've been even faster with a SE air cleaner. All I know is--it didn't seem to hurt performance any. I thought it looked a tad tacky,but the butterflys were kinda kitchy & cool,opening & closing like that. Would I intentionally put one on my bike now? No.

I think the biggest problem with the Hypercharger is that the name is misleading--kinda makes you think it's some kinda "forced air" intake.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 AM
bruder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had one on an 04 heritage,piece of crap and replaced it with a screaming eagle.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
I honestly don't think the hyper charger adds much in the way of performance...But every time a dyno operator tells me they don't do a thing...I have to ask...How can you tell it doesn't anything if the bike is stationary during a dyno pull?
the front of the hypercharger is no where near close enough to the airflow for any 'ram' effect to take place. any ac is gonna be subject to that.

thats also why you can ride in most rainstorms with an open air element and not have any problems. though i did ride in one rainstorm with the rain coming down at about a 45* angle from my right side that did give me some problems, once....

Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,737 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Here's a review I got from a very seasoned v-twin indy (30+ years wrenching) that explains their flaw:

Because of the way the air travels into the front and out the rear of the Hyper-Charger, instead of forcing air into the carburetor, it actually pulls or "siphons" air (and fuel) out. As a result, you get what has been described as a "dead spot" or lack of power at highway speeds, not to mention the fuel breaks down the oil in your air filter hampering it's usefulness and the fuel mixed with air filter oil tends to deposit itself all over the right side of your bike when you go on long rides and then when you stop it all drips down on the cam cover, your foot, that cigarette butt you just dropped, and so on.

I trust his judgement & he has experienced this problem many times w/rides he worked on throughout the years...
I've known several people that have had the Hypercharger on their bikes, both evos and twin-cams, and the type of problems described above were never an issue...

Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
I use an oil bath filter off a '52 DeSoto. Works great and it's painted gold and everything...
Do you have an pics? Sounds cool.

Quick Reply: Kuryakan Hyperchargers...