General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My HD brand loyalty just hit a wall!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:44 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: My HD brand loyalty just hit a wall!

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

Here's a good one for you. As most of you know, I sell Honda's (no more jokes please). The other day I was going through their catalog. I've sold lots of Goldwings but the 6 CD changer does not come stock on any of them. They don't even offer a stock single CD player. The CD changer is $799.00. I thought, that's not too bad for a "Company" 6 disc CD changer. Then I read on down the page that you need a CD changer mounting hardware kit ($399.00). What a crock of shiit. You see guys, Harley ain't the only ones making a ton off their loyal customers.
Cause of course, who could live without a CD changer on a motorcycle....

btw, there are only three makers of changers. You can probably find an aftermarket unit that will fit the Honda Goldcouch...

Old 11-19-2006, 12:03 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buying off of E-bay is becoming a second source of goodies for me also. What also gets me is that very few parts are interchangable any more. Look at Harley Dyna seats, they fit say from 1993-2003 (good). The owners of 2004-2005 (me included) are limited to those years and again, 2006-2007 are changed also.

A lot of goodies for the earlier Dyna and FXR's don't fit the current Dyna crop and what you do buy, is not always the best quality. I have found that several aftermarket seat makers, chrome accessory makers, etc. actually have a better quality and accessories that are actually made in the good ol' USA.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:05 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

Lots of good deals on ebay. I aqree, Harley does get some coins for their accesories. But look what a Corbin seat costs. $599 starting for the big touring seats. It is all big bucks. Try restoring an old car or building a street rod. There's another market thats gone thru the roof. Harley could spruce up some of their upper end models. The top of that certain line (Heritage, Ultra etc)Chrome fork lowers would be a start. Or that ugly saddle bag hardware on the FL's. Either chrome it or hide it with those fillers.
Or on the Softail, that Big Ugly Bolt that goes thru the frame for the swingarm . . . Ca mon!!! Talk about a turd in the punchbowl.

It all boils down to two types of people in the world . . . Harley Riders and everybody else. I might bitch about it, but there's NO other brand for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an idea for posting but it was covered by terry1955. I have a friend with a vtx1300 and he gripes all of the time about buying a piece of equipment and having to buy the mounting hardware separately. It reminds me of the man who asked the Rolls Royce dealer how the gas milage was on their cars. You are paying $20,000 or better for a bike and sniveling about $60.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:07 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So what your saying is.........Since youve already been screwed with the20,000 it might feel good to get screwed a little deeper with the accessories .I'll have to try that
ORIGINAL: Roses

I had an idea for posting but it was covered by terry1955. I have a friend with a vtx1300 and he gripes all of the time about buying a piece of equipment and having to buy the mounting hardware separately. It reminds me of the man who asked the Rolls Royce dealer how the gas milage was on their cars. You are paying $20,000 or better for a bike and sniveling about $60.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

Don't understand why they do that? Well, let me explain it...one word..... Marketing! From a marketing standpoint, like Bill Gait's Microsoft, it's a marketing marvel at it's best. What better way to make more money than to create something that people want, and sell each piece (nut, bolt, harness, fitting...you name it) seperately. You create the 'want', and the 'need' for more parts. It's brilliant!

My issue so much isn't with the pricing. If it's an HD item I really want, then I will pay, like it or not.

What really steams my clams is the piecing stuff together bolt by bolt. It is a real annoyance to get an item home and open the instructions to see that you also need part # this that and the other thing. 99% of the time the kids behind the parts counter don't know what else you need to install something, so they can't suggest anything.

Now that I have become wiser with age (I think), I have learned to open the package BEFORE leaving the counter and see what else is needed. But once again, the stealer usually doesn't have the "Additional Parts Required" in stock and has to order them.

That is where most aftermarket companies excel over the MoCo. You usually have all the parts there, and sometimes even extras to fit multiple applications.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Beagle1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: softail2005

There you go! Honda is learning from Harley!
Now that's funny...the are going to imitate HD all the way down to frustrating the customer [sm=youreright.gif]

Old 11-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember going to the dealer for a nut and a bolt. Since it came in the same package, it was now called an assembly and was 15 bucks. I left and went to the hardware store .... 98 cents later, I was on my way.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:36 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

20 Grand and a T-Shirt Don't make Ya a Biker
Not anymore - 20 Grand and 6 Grand in smaller payments over the next two years and 1200 a year in maintenance makes ya a Harley biker...

Old 11-19-2006, 11:44 AM
toadmanor
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: christian0632

You know Harley is going to get their money but what they don't realize is that when they nickel and dime us, we start to shop around. Good for those aftermarket companies, bad for Harley.

I just bought an Ultra Classic. It only came with one intercom headset. Where's the logic?? The second one will cost 179.00 IF I decide to get it. I think I'll check eBay for that.

You know I thought the same thing. $20,000 and one headset. If you find another place to get one let me know.

Toad

Quick Reply: My HD brand loyalty just hit a wall!