General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost run off the road...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Lady_Bacon
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost run off the road...

Beautiful day in Maine, yesterday: sunny, warm and a great day for a ride... Behind a new Toyota Camry with an elderly driver that seemed a bit too old to drive. She nearly came to a stop on Rte 1 when someone pulled up to the stop sign on an entrance ramp - that was my first clue... Then I noted she was half in the breakdown lane and half in the driving lane - frequently and for several hundred yards, each time. She wasn't swerving, though...

So I figured she was a bit "off," ya know what I mean? We went up a hill a few miles later, with two lanes. She stayed in the left lane - okay, no big... I pulled into the right lane and gradually accelerated to pass her. And it was interesting, for a moment... She started matching my speed - up to a velocity I don't care to mention, and she wouldn't yield. I braked because when the two lanes turned back to one, she almost rammed me. Verbalized a few rapid words (not that she would've heard - me with a full-face helmet, her with her windows up. I was NOT happy but calmed myself down and thought I'll live longer than her, anyway.

I could've called the police but, elderly female driver vs younger female on a Harley - guess who wins...

Could've lost my temper and done something stupid - but why go through the hassle and potential legal repercussions?

Could've followed her home and yelled at her - and probably be arrested for disturbing the peace or whatever...

In the end, I pulled into a mini-mart, had a cup of coffee and then rode on...

Old 08-27-2011, 03:27 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got a better sense of temper control than me. Good for you for being able to shrug it off and enjoy the rest of your ride and appreciate the day. Wish I was that cool tempered lol.

I have a hard time not letting things like that keep me riled for the rest of the ride which sucks cause it just ruins the moment and doesn't actually do you any good. The old farts sometimes can be the meanest folks on the road and they seem to love speeding up just so you cant pass then slowing down once they have you stuck behind them. Or worse, they are no longer running on all cylinders and are living on looney land.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,840 Likes on 3,179 Posts

And then you sat down and blew off the rest of the steam here...Good for you!

Generally speaking Panic never solved a thing, and Road Rage shows a lack of control...

Edit: and maturity

Old 08-27-2011, 03:35 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like it might be time to upgrade that Stage 1 to a Stage 2.

Glad to hear you're ok and kept your cool.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:37 PM
rkool
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are OK. There are a lot of them out there. You did the right thing. Chalk it up and ride on.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Nivekian
Cruiser

Glad you are okay, but don't be intimidated to report an elderly driver to police. Old people driving a car beyond their means take more lives than any female Harley rider.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:16 PM
that_guy
Tourer

The more assholse we let slide the more often this is going to happen.... Im Not saying kill them all, but you need to let them know they ****ed up and that if you catch them again there will be consequences.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:13 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad your safe. Anytime I am around someone like this first chance I get I haul *** around them then I do not have to worry about the anymore.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:56 PM
mecompco
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you got by Ms. Daisy OK!

It was nice here yesterday (not bad today, either). We spent some time on Rt. 1 a couple weeks ago--Boothbay, Wiscasett, Camden, Rockland, etc. Traffic was crazy in town, but not that bad overall.

Headed up to Millinocket last week, MUCH less traffic in The County!

Stay safe.

Michael

Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,189 Posts

Originally Posted by blacknsilver
Glad your safe. Anytime I am around someone like this first chance I get I haul *** around them then I do not have to worry about the anymore.
Ya, but then they're behind you, What's worse?

Quick Reply: Almost run off the road...