General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert or sell and buy trike

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 AM
jara97
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert or sell and buy trike

Good Morning,

Have a 2005 Road King completely customized with over 40,000 invested and an amazing machine. 26 years in the military and several surgies and deployments later I don't know how much longer I can ride on two wheels but hate to give it up as I love it. Back, knees and feet say I gotta change eventually.

Bike is pearl white with flames and is gorgeous and has numerous show awards. Thinking of either selling and buying a trike or having it converted. RK has a 113 CI engine completely done by T-Man performance in North Carolina and has about 125 HP so has enough for the trike for sure. All internals are forged so I might be better off using current setup as it runs cool and has amazing torque and is simply a beast. Was built from the ground up to be bulletproof.

Not sure which trike manufacturer would be the best as I like the looks of CSC but mainly want quality and ease of maintenance. Also I am in Missouri and trike dealers around here are scarce.

I know riding on 3 will never be the same as 2 but in order to keep in the wind I know my days are counting down. Any ideas, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it'd be a lot cheaper converting. One company I've seen advertise, the trike wheels can be added and removed so you can ride either way.
http://www.tabortrikesusa.com/

Old 08-24-2011, 08:57 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your service.CSC,DFT as well as others are good.My first thought was to convert, ended up swapping for a TG.LESS MONEY AND A WARRANTY.To each his own.You will love any trike, don't worry.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lehman and champion look pretty nice! I checked on them a few years ago! I would go with the trike conversion and not the bolt on trike kit myself!
Can't say if you should sell and buy one ready to roll! Were all different! For me it would come down to dollars and sense!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Thank you for your service. I do not know how difficult the injuries have made riding for you. But since you have so much invested in the RK and it sounds like a great bike, before converting to a trike or selling / buying a trike - have you looked at the "leg up" solution?

http://landingear.com/

It will give you stability at low speeds, parking, taking off, sitting at a light , etc.. But still allow you to ride on 2 wheels once your up to speed.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just converted a friend's 09' ElectraGlide using the Champion kit (independent suspension) w/ their E-Z Steer (a must have option, in my opinion) and side accent panels. Next week, I'm installing their reverse gear kit.
Champion's kits/products are simply a work of art. Precise engineering, quality of fit, finish and customer support is outstanding. My only complaint (only because I never performed one of these conversions before) is the instructional booklet is vague and had typo's. In any case, I would not hesitate to purchase another.

I've started a thread over in the Trike forum and hope to post pics soon.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:04 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I glance at the trikes and their ads every once in awhile. Seen a few out there that still allow the bike to lean. That would be important to me. I hate flat steering when I am in the wind. I hated it on the three wheel ATVs and the four wheel ATVs. Made me miss my dirt bikes. I have even been thinking about the old side cars which had the third wheel tilt to accommodate lean.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I'm looking at the same thing, with my bad back, it makes it real tough to ride as much as I want to. I would seriously consider a sidecar....

Old 08-24-2011, 03:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Need to see a pictures of this award winning bike. Right now please!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:17 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
I would seriously consider a sidecar....
That was going to be my suggestion being that it's a Road King and I think side cars on a Road King look great.

Think it would be the most cost effective solution as well though I've never priced a side car.

Quick Reply: Convert or sell and buy trike