General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with questions lol!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 AM
IDSTC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same questions when I started looking. My advice, read hdforums and sit on some bikes at the dealers.

When I first talked to a salesman he answered my questions, but didn't offer a lot of the detailed info I was looking for. I was thinking the same things as you, why is this better than that, what is the difference here, etc.

In the end sitting on the bikes is what makes the difference. I had a couple of different models in mind and the first few times I walked through alone trying to notice the differences and narrowing my choices down to 2 or 3. When I was getting close to purchase and I finally sat on a couple I immediately ruled out my front runners. I thought they didn't feel right, were the wrong size, etc.

So when the salesman says you need to sit on it, I don't think they are just trying to get you attached to it emotionally. (Although that probably is part of it.)

And when they say that "the details don't really matter - pick the one you like and go with it", I don't necessarily think that they are just trying to make the quick sale. (Although that probably is part of it.)

I have learned 100 times as much about the different models after my purchase, but none of it ever made me think I made a bad choice. And I have talked to people that have owned harleys much longer than me that look at me funny when I talk about the difference between a softail and dyna engine.

Oh, and before somebody gets mad because I didn't answer the question the main things I see:

D shocks on the side S shocks hidden underneath
D rubber mounted engine S rigid mounted counterbalanced engine

I am sure there are others. Good luck with your new bike.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by medic5502
I just dont know the difference between the Dyna's and the Softail's lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is one better than the other? And have you all heard anything bad about the bikes I mentioned above? Thanks again for all the help, sorry about being a pain in the butt, lol.
Are you seriously expecting someone to tell what bike you should or should not get? You ask 100 people and you will get 100 different answers. Any one of the bikes you listed would be a fine bike. Pick one and go for it. Live and learn. That is how just about everyone on this forum discovered what it is you are wanting to know.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Are you seriously expecting someone to tell what bike you should or should not get? You ask 100 people and you will get 100 different answers. Any one of the bikes you listed would be a fine bike. Pick one and go for it. Live and learn. That is how just about everyone on this forum discovered what it is you are wanting to know.

You really need to re-read the OP, he is asking for help in the difference between the DYNA and the SOFTAIL, not in picking out a bike.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior

So, I take it just go to a different forum to try and get help huh?
Yep...Or stick around a little longer than a day or two because there is a lot of info on each of the models ya lookin' at. Plenty of opinion & lots of information. Give it a minute or two more. But I'd tell ya to not get either & find a good used Shovelhead, or an Ironhead Sportster.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:50 PM
medic5502
6th Gear

Hey all, thanks alot for the help. Ive done some searches and looks like you really cant go wrong with either. I went down to Mile High Harley Davidson here in Colorado and came to the conclusion that its really hard to find just one bike I like lol.... I sat on the Lowrider.... Felt really good. But than again, so did the Superglide and a softail they had here. The saleman kinda pissed me off. When I was checking out the Superglide he told me its a good " girls bike ". I dealed with that **** when I had my sporty. I dont care what people think about the bike I get but as far as I'm concerened the Superglide is not a cick bike.....unless a chick owns it lol.
Keith Stepp... Sorry man, I was not asking which bike to get, just differences. I should have been more clear.
And Chuck...I love the sound of Shovels, I'm just not the most mechanically inclined guy in the world....

Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I take it just go to a different forum to try and get help huh?
Easy now, don't get your panties in a bunch, someone (many accually) will be along soon to help you, some already have. Welcome.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

The Softails actually look like a hard tail. That is why the shocks are underneath, and the swing arm is an extension of the frame. All Softails have solid mounted engines, and the ones starting in the early 2000's have counterbalances to make them smoother running. The Dyna's have the shocks mounted to the swing arm and rear frame. They have rubber mounted engines without counterbalances. They do shake at idle, but smooth out as the throttle is advanced.

The Softails are generally a little heavier and bigger bikes than the Dyna's. There are other differences, but these are a few of the general ones.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:01 AM
medic5502
6th Gear

Thanks all for the help. Think Im gonna go with a Superglide. http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2564309106.htmlSomething like this right here.....

Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

If you are that worried about riding another ''girls bike'' I would steer clear of the new Switchback.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive done some searches and looks like you really cant go wrong with either. .
Exactly.
Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
If you are that worried about riding another ''girls bike'' I would steer clear of the new Switchback.
Oh boy, here we go again.

Quick Reply: Need some help with questions lol!