General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bad Sturgis experiance

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:37 AM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Sorry to hear that your Sturgis experience was dampened this year. I've been six times now and always had a good time. I agree that prices are very expensive and last year I asked a guy selling lights why his prices were so high. He said that 1st he was there to make money and 2nd Sturgis charged him something close to $5000 just for setting up his tent and then took a portion of his profits too. Getting stuff stolen off the bike, well it's a fine line between trust and an open invitation for theft. I try not to leave anything out that might prove to be too much of a temptation for those who are partial to being crooks. However, I have left stuff on my bike and haven’t had anything taken. Good luck with getting some of you money back for the tow.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Never had a problem with the parking but the hotel rooms get pretty pricey...Stand room the week before is about $89 and then it goes up to $219 during bike week....Thats BS...the American way!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry1834
Never had a problem with the parking but the hotel rooms get pretty pricey...Stand room the week before is about $89 and then it goes up to $219 during bike week....Thats BS...the American way!

Wow they've gone down for the 50th in 90 the ******** had them up to $400 a nite in some places .

Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ha..I figured this thread would be the green light for the "See...this is why I don't go" crowd. But surprisingly enough, there's only been a couple of replies like that.

There's been several threads lately about why we go and why we enjoy it. I have my reasons, others have theirs. I enjoy the heck out of it, and will continue to go every year I can, just as I have for almost 20 years.

And yep, every year things are a dollar or two more. It wasn't that long ago when beers were $3 at One-Eyed Jacks. They're $6 now. However, it's supply and demand, when people stop paying 6 bucks a beer, the prices will go down.

However, there's a lot more to the Sturgis rally than downtown or the Buffalo Chip. Take those things in small doses.

Here's a tip for parking if you don't want to park on Main St, and for getting in and out of town easily. Use Junction Ave to come in and out of town, and park a few blocks away in the residential neighborhoods on the east side of town. Been doing that for years, no problems - ever.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as the theft of the T-Bag, I feel sorry for the ******* that took it. What's he planning on doing, putting that on his bike? That's some serious bad karma, and bad karma is one thing you don't need on a motorcycle.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 AM
RobsSG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you just send the town a 500.00 tax deductible check and avoid the stress, You can get a T-shirt on line...cheaper...there are so many more places that are nice. I am not missing it. I live in TN and we have GREAT places to ride. No need to go to the moon to ride, then get gouged while I do it...
Just like the Government...if we didn't go they couldn't gouge...

Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

To me Sturgis anymore would be like tapping the same *** you've been living with for 40 yrs . You know it's there , it'll get the job done sort of , you've seen it so much you'd rather not again and it just isn't worth the effort anymore . Easier to go for a quiet ride somewhere .

Old 08-24-2011, 11:52 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

This was my first year in Sturgis, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I really enjoyed it. I knew pretty much knew what to expect - it's just like any other tourist spot. But I will admit food prices were a few dollars higher than expected. Drink prices were what I expected. I really enjoyed meeting lots of people there and along the way. The service station next to the hotel in Rapid City was very helpful when we needed some tools for service. We are already planning our next trip in a few years.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

As far as major rallies go I like Sturgis the best. Have done Daytona many times, both spring and fall dates. Laconia a couple of times (the wet rally). Have also done many National HOG rallies and was at Milwaukee for the 100th and 105th. Basically I think you get what you pay for, and nothing more. These days I have realized that I have basically everything I need made out of leather, most of the vendors are selling the same cheap imported crap, the bands are getting older and older (LOL!), and I dont drink anymore. So.......I took my GF to Sturgis last year since she had never been. We had a good time and maybe will go back next year or the year after. If we do, we do. If we dont, we dont. Crowds are just to big for me anymore. Guess I am saying I would rather tour the mountains of southern Colorado than fight the traffic jams of 3rd & Lazalle. Sorry to hear the OP had such bad luck. Atleast he didnt get his *** pounded by hail as big as softballs!

Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Gouged at Sturgis during bike week. no way couldn't happen

Eight years ago, my brother made reservations at the H I Exp in Rapid. $279/night, 3 night minimum!! YGTBSM!

It is still a lot better than daytona or other rallies, cause at least there is excellent riding.

if it is important to have your Sturgis experience in the middle of the mosh pit, it is gonna cost

jus sayin

Bwana

Quick Reply: First bad Sturgis experiance