General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bad Sturgis experiance

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,109 Likes on 3,651 Posts

Bought a bottle of Makers mark, had 2 tires changed and watched 2 movies, grilled som,e fresh red snapper, steak twice....All for about $250.00.... Oh...that was in Eastern NC...LOL...i have no interests in going to Sturgis...Well maybe someday but not now...Vendors and merchants "ADJUST" prices accordingly to market demands...They don't gouge...Bah HA HA HA !.... Good ol capitalism...

Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
The folks at Sturgis are doing their best to kill a good thing.

GREED. 8 bucks for a gyro sandwich?? $9.50 for a taco salad??

I'd like to seee the damn thing die, if for no other reason that to see these crooks get their come uppance.

If enough people quit going to the rally, then things will change.

~Joe
Is it the folks from Sturgis or traveling vendors that follow the rallys?
If it is the Sturgis folks, maybe they should research the Myrtle Beach event.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Many of the venders I met will be at other events. A number will be at oc bike week. A few were people I bought from in oc last year.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It's well over $300 if you get towed out here in Los Angeles. $163 is a bargain.

Drew

Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 AM
TOK DADDY
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your experience - went this year for the first time and had a blast. No problems...definitely worth going to at least once. Growing up in a city I never leave anything out that isn't locked up in or on the bike. I did stay away from town at night and pretty much rode the entire time I was there during the day. Not sure if I'll go back or not since I've done all the rides and "experienced" the rally.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,269 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Go to any "tourist" destination and your going to find the same thing. Beach towns, mountain towns, cities, all the same.

It's an event. Just like a concert or a sporting event or anything that draws a crowd. Your going to pay for the services and supplies.

You can get cheap beer, cheap food, cheap parking or anything else. You just have to look.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
My buddy and I were thinking the same thing when we were there - they are gouging us everywhere we go. But, we looked at it this way - that one to two week period is when that town makes ALL of its money for the year. I didn't let it bother me too much.
This is it exactly. Many of those business have about 10 days to make thier year. Of course they gouge. Of all of those things, the only thing that surprises me is the theft. I would not want to be seen stealing off of a bike on Main street. God only knows the trouble you may stir up if it happened to be the Wrong bike.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sucks that so many things all happened in the same trip. Bike rallies in general are expensive, especially Sturgis. I bring money and expect to spend lots of it. A couple of observations, If you see someone parked in front of a hydrant it doesn't mean everyone else can block it just because the first person parked there. If it were me and my bike got towed I would consider it my own fault for parking where I shouldn't have. T-bags, helmets, leather jackets just draped over bike seats, detachable windshields....etc...etc get stolen a lot. use some common sense. When I ride to a rally and have my T-bag strapped on, it gets parked where I can see the bike when I'm eating somewhere. It also gets taken off and brought into the room at any motel I stay at. It's never on the bike when I have to park in some huge bike lot somewhere.

I sure wouldn't let these couple of things deter you from going back, and hopefully you also had some really good times while you were out there.

Last edited by BikerV; 08-24-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Was there the latter part of the week. Hadn't been back since 1990. Rode the 84 from Kali to a bud's house in Colorado and from there to Sturgis. Was the same as I remember but a bit more expensive. Figured that going there and adjusted my pocketbook before I left to accommodate that.

Put almost 4K on the bike because I stayed off major freeways for the most part. Sturigs for me is still a very good time. I take it for what it is...a destination and end point. Guess the best part for me is still the ride to and from.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I've never had a problem parking at Sturgis, though I've never parked illegally.

Quick Reply: First bad Sturgis experiance