General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ride slow in the left lane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:04 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,163 Likes on 12,217 Posts
Default Do you ride slow in the left lane?

I hate to generalize about people who ride a certain type of bike (especially when I own one!) but why do so many Harley riders clog up the left lane on highways? I see it all the time. It's rarely one guy. Last week outside of Vegas it was a bunch of different groups of 8 or more (actually two groups were all women which explains a lot ). A couple of days ago (Sunday at 3:30 on I-94 to be exact) two guys heading north out of Chicago (one on a bagger w/fringes, the other on a white cop bike that still had "police" stickers on the bags). Seriously -wtf? I don't see Goldwings or BMWs slowing everyone down. Is it an "I own the road - screw all you regular folks" biker thing? If so, know that you're holding up a lot of other people that ride Harleys (some in cars, some on bikes) with your antics. Move over!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I like the left lane but it is the "GO" lane.

I ran from Florida to Sturgis in 35 hours and not 1 bike ever passed me. Not a single bike, sport bikes included... And I really wasn't pushing it that hard. For the most part bikers seem to pretty much run the speed limit from what I observed.

Last edited by Jonesee; 08-23-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lately it seems I'm riding in every lane EXCEPT the left lane just to pass all the ******** clogging it up.

It's amazing what one ******* can do to 4 lanes of I-95 traffic.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:53 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No, I prefer not to get run over. And to do it in LV of all places?! YIKES!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't ride slow ANYWHERE!!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:58 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried riding when the motorways are clearer i do this in England it's called 3am no people no issues .... Stress free! ...

Old 08-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I prefer to leave the left lane to the loons in the cages who seem to think that 30 mph over the posted speed limit is too slow... and what's odd is that in my area, this seems to be mostly people driving BMW's, Mercedes, and kids in their fart can ricers.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:19 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think it has to deal with bikers, just dumb asses in/on all vehicles. The ones that really get me are the box trucks going 5 under. I just moved from ID and it seems everybody understands that the left lane is for passing. So you pass and get back over into the right. Out here in Western WA that rules seems to be obsolete even though there are signs up. I've never been in a metro area with 4 lanes of freeway where you feel like you are going 90 mph, but you are really going the speed limit (60 mph) like Seattle. They go 50-55 on a 60 mph freeway in all lanes, but the same jackass you pass is riding your *** in town when the speed limit is 35, but they still wanna go 50-55. I never got it and still don't other then stupidity. Oh and they also like to pull out in front of you and not press the gas pedal or wait the 3 seconds till you pass with no one behind you. On the bike you can't get complacent out here.

Now if I'm speeding I can't get mad at someone going the speed limit because it's my choice not to obey it so I go around, but those not going the speed limit really tick me off.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM
hkfooey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The worst is when I was riding 70s on a car pool lane during busy hours and some A-Hole still want to pass me... yikes...

Quick Reply: Do you ride slow in the left lane?