General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ride slow in the left lane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
Actually I don't do what you are accusing but if I knew it was you behind me I would, just to **** you off. I push the speed limits to some extent but if I am in the left lane doing 70-75 and keeping up with traffic on I94 and you feel the need to do 90 then move over there is at least one more lane. I might pose the question what makes it ok for a bike rider to do 15 or better over? Because you can? PS I hear there is no speed limits on the autobahn
Actually it was more of a guess (based on you saying it was okay to do) than accusation. I did ask if I was right and your answer is no. Good enough for me and no offense intended.

It also sounds like we travel pretty much the same way. I'm not talking about 90 mph. I'm talking going with traffic flow which is 70-75 in a 65 (Maybe 67 in Racine due to the high volume of LE in that area). There are a lot of folks, including the Harley riders I mention, that plant it in the left lane at, or even under, the speed limit. Obviously, I'm not the only one who dislikes this, and the more I hear from others, it's illegal.

Fwiw, if I'm in the left lane and someone is overtaking me, regardless of their speed, I will move over. Like you said, it's "nunya". If they want to go 100, it's their issue not mine. And I would never block someone to **** them off - even you.

Originally Posted by oldgeezer
I drive slow in all the lanes, usually with my left turn signal on.
That is some funny sh*t.

Last edited by nevada72; 08-24-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:02 PM
4trax
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty fuccken simple folks! Ride, drive where ever you want, but if you're in the left lane (don't matter how fast you're going) and someone comes up on you, GET THE FUCCK OVER! PLAIN and SIMPLE!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

If only we could operate like the Autobahn. Drive on the right, use the left to pass. If someone is coming up behind you flashing their lights at you, GTF over.

I like that Triumph put a flash to pass trigger on their bikes. At least on the Daytona I have.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I always move out of people's way when I'm in the left lane.

I *do* prefer to cruise in the lane because most of the highways here are TORE UP and the right lane is often way worse...but as soon as I see someone closing the distance, I move over.

I *HATE* tailgaters. I have been known (when in my cage) to brake check tailgaters who can pass but won't, *very* hard.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

So step on it & get outta the way. I love being behind somebody in the passing lane when a cop has somebody pulled over ---- ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD ---- and he's outside the car ---- and they gotta slam on the brakes. I was passing a line of about 10 big trucks once on 80 in PA, in my car. A trooper came up behind me (no red lights) but I knew he was going faster than me. I got up to about 85 before I could get back into the right lane. He gave me the thumbs up as he passed me.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:17 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,077 Likes on 17,941 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
Lately it seems I'm riding in every lane EXCEPT the left lane just to pass all the ******** clogging it up.

It's amazing what one ******* can do to 4 lanes of I-95 traffic.
Come out to the Bay Area our idiots could teach yours new tricks for being ignorant self centered douchbag's and f*cked up left lane driving techniques .

Actually I don't do what you are accusing but if I knew it was you behind me I would, just to **** you off. I push the speed limits to some extent but if I am in the left lane doing 70-75 and keeping up with traffic on I94 and you feel the need to do 90 then move over there is at least one more lane. I might pose the question what makes it ok for a bike rider to do 15 or better over? Because you can? PS I hear there is no speed limits on the autobahn
Been there let me tell you how the autoban works ( or at least did ) and why most US drivers don't have what it takes on a bike to deal with it . Stretch we were on the right or slow lane moved around 100mph average including the big rigs , middle lane 125mph and up and since the bikes topped at 125 this was screaming . The left or the " OHMYF*CKINGGODWHATWASTHAT? " lane is not a joke they'll flash the lights at you but won't let off the go fast pedal I can tell you that first hand . A truck doing 110+ pulled into my lane forcing me at 120 into the big ***** lane and something was coming up fast , I had to hit what little shoulder there was at 120+ MPH and I can't tell what color the car was that went by it was going so fast .

This stunt will wreck most peoples day at 60mph , double it and have a taste sometime .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-24-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:37 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Hey twizted.. ya ever notice how many friggin lights are on some of those cars over there...

parts of that autoban were built to use as landing strips for aircraft in time of war.. standing joke when I was over there an F-4 had an emergency and tried to land in the left lane, a porsche in front of him refused to move over when he flashed his landing lights at him...

Old 08-24-2011, 05:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,077 Likes on 17,941 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
Hey twizted.. ya ever notice how many friggin lights are on some of those cars over there...

parts of that autoban were built to use as landing strips for aircraft in time of war.. standing joke when I was over there an F-4 had an emergency and tried to land in the left lane, a porsche in front of him refused to move over when he flashed his landing lights at him...
Fuc you got me giggling now going to screwed the rest of the day .

Ya what you say makes perfect sense the roads did resemble LONG runways now I think on it , they damn sure where solid enough . Wasn't joking about not knowing what color is was either , whatever it was was pushing well into the 200 MPH range thought his slip stream was going to slap me off the center wall . Decided dodging traffic & wagons on the back roads where a better idea the next exit .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-24-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:51 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Been there let me tell you how the autoban and most US drivers don't have what it takes on a bike . Stretch we were on the right or slow lane moved around 100mph average including the big rigs , middle lane 125mph and up and since the bikes topped at 125 this was screaming .
Even if I was up to it, my bike sure isn't. Hell, I'm dropping it off to have a 107 kit put on it cause I couldn't keep up with friggin minivans heading back to L.A. when leaving Vegas (once we were past the left lane chokers that is). I would get run flat over even in the slow lane on the Autobahn!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

In Illinois, you'd be breaking the law (although I've never heard of anyone actually getting busted for it). No matter what speed you are driving, if you are in the left lane and someone comes up behind you, you are required by law to move out of their way as soon as it is safe to do so.

If you want to enforce speed limits, become a cop. Otherwise, get the hell outta the way.

Quick Reply: Do you ride slow in the left lane?