General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ride slow in the left lane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
You my friend are part of the problem. If you are in the left lane and someone comes up from behind at a higher rate of speed you should move over and let them pass. It's called ROAD ETIQUETTE. Slower traffic to the right, faster traffic to the left. You don't get to decide how fast I can drive.
You missed my point. I said I don't camp out in the left lane. I think that's in bold in my post.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 08-23-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might also be a club thing... last weekend I rode with my local H.O.G. chapter and one of the things they stated in the pre-ride briefing was no more than 5 mph over the speed limit. If the lead Road Captain decided to take the group into the HOV lane then maybe this would have caused the motorcycle bottleneck in the far left lane. Just a thought...

Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruamach
Car, bike, truck....if you're in the leftmost lane of any multi-lane road and doing slower or no faster than the other lane: GTF out of the way!
Exactly!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 PM
dcgray2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruamach
Car, bike, truck....if you're in the leftmost lane of any multi-lane road and doing slower or no faster than the other lane: GTF out of the way!
I couldn't agree more. All the people behind me are fine but those a$$holes in front of me are a real problem.

Pass, and move over. I have passed people who have finally moved over and I look back and they are moving BACK into the PASSING lane. WTF?!?!?!

This should be a PIT'able offense.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
And there you have it. That's the attitude I refer to. My guess is you are one of the folks that cruise the left lane. Am I wrong?

As the law goes - every state has a law regarding this issue. Some states out west make it very clear - "Keep Right Except To Pass". Here in the midwest, as well as many other places, it's "Slower Traffic Keep Right". Notice it doesn't say "Traffic Going Under The Speed Limit Keep Right". In both cases above, I'm pretty sure it is a ticketable offense to block the left lane regardless of speed. Do you not remember back to Drivers Ed? It was made very clear that a responsible driver moves right to allow others to pass.

Even if it was legal, which I don't think it is, it's rude. It's indicative of the "all about me" attitude that we all see every day on the roads. Why not move over and let every one else pass? I.E., even if it was legal, that doesn't make it okay.

My take on it regarding cars and trucks hogging the left lane is that it is done out of ignorance and selfishness. Bad drivers - period. But, as far as Harley riders go, I think it's something else. Still waiting for a rider who does it to chime in. There has got to be a reason.

That is different. I do that too.
Actually I don't do what you are accusing but if I knew it was you behind me I would, just to **** you off. I push the speed limits to some extent but if I am in the left lane doing 70-75 and keeping up with traffic on I94 and you feel the need to do 90 then move over there is at least one more lane. I might pose the question what makes it ok for a bike rider to do 15 or better over? Because you can? PS I hear there is no speed limits on the autobahn

Last edited by vet767; 08-24-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 AM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride slow in the left of the right lane lol.. hardly in the left lane only when passing truckers. When I ride there is no reason speed. Im never in a hurry to get no where.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:12 AM
IslandBiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Chicago there's a bunch of left-sided exits. It could have been something like that.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:30 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
Lately it seems I'm riding in every lane EXCEPT the left lane just to pass all the ******** clogging it up.

It's amazing what one ******* can do to 4 lanes of I-95 traffic.
Try I-95 in South FL

Old 08-24-2011, 04:48 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Foodog
I'll ride in the left lane because the right lane is usually rough and rutted from trucks....but......I keep a close watch in my mirrors and if I see someone coming up on me I'll move over till they're past.
+1 -- especially on Louisiana roads!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:08 AM
Jon0807
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out here in California, if its not commute hours and you're going 80 in the left lane you're likely to get run over or shot if you don't move over

Quick Reply: Do you ride slow in the left lane?