General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ride slow in the left lane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
Were they doing the speed limit. If not call a cop. If they were chill out, they own the road just like you do. and if the guy wants to leave the leo stickers on it is nunya.
And there you have it. That's the attitude I refer to. My guess is you are one of the folks that cruise the left lane. Am I wrong?

As the law goes - every state has a law regarding this issue. Some states out west make it very clear - "Keep Right Except To Pass". Here in the midwest, as well as many other places, it's "Slower Traffic Keep Right". Notice it doesn't say "Traffic Going Under The Speed Limit Keep Right". In both cases above, I'm pretty sure it is a ticketable offense to block the left lane regardless of speed. Do you not remember back to Drivers Ed? It was made very clear that a responsible driver moves right to allow others to pass.

Even if it was legal, which I don't think it is, it's rude. It's indicative of the "all about me" attitude that we all see every day on the roads. Why not move over and let every one else pass? I.E., even if it was legal, that doesn't make it okay.

My take on it regarding cars and trucks hogging the left lane is that it is done out of ignorance and selfishness. Bad drivers - period. But, as far as Harley riders go, I think it's something else. Still waiting for a rider who does it to chime in. There has got to be a reason.

Originally Posted by Foodog
I'll ride in the left lane because the right lane is usually rough and rutted from trucks....but......I keep a close watch in my mirrors and if I see someone coming up on me I'll move over till they're past.
That is different. I do that too.

Last edited by nevada72; 08-23-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:32 PM
petom
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by hkfooey
The worst is when I was riding 70s on a car pool lane during busy hours and some A-Hole still want to pass me... yikes...
For this reason the carpool lane is called the "douchebag lane". I avoid it.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

In Virginia you can be ticketed for failing to allow an overtaking vehicle to pass if you are in the left lane of multi lane road and are abreast of another vehicle. Nothing in the statute addresses speed limits, it just says get out of the fu(king way asshat.

46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by nevada72
I hate to generalize about people who ride a certain type of bike (especially when I own one!) but why do so many Harley riders clog up the left lane on highways? I see it all the time. It's rarely one guy. Last week outside of Vegas it was a bunch of different groups of 8 or more (actually two groups were all women which explains a lot ). A couple of days ago (Sunday at 3:30 on I-94 to be exact) two guys heading north out of Chicago (one on a bagger w/fringes, the other on a white cop bike that still had "police" stickers on the bags). Seriously -wtf? I don't see Goldwings or BMWs slowing everyone down. Is it an "I own the road - screw all you regular folks" biker thing? If so, know that you're holding up a lot of other people that ride Harleys (some in cars, some on bikes) with your antics. Move over!
If you are ever in California, please don't do this. It can be very dangerous as particularly in urban areas, the drivers can be aggressive. I do notice this activity a lot in other states, not so much here, although it does occur from time to time. Usually out of state plates.

It's always hilarious to me when I go to other States, and there is a Minimum speed limit posted.

Never have to worry about it here in PRK.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No but I drive slow in the passing lane after I get around and infront of the AHole that was driving slow in the PASSING LANE. Usally it is someone from Cali, they think they own the road.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:41 PM
EastBay510
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I generally do the speed limit in the right lane because I just got my bike last month and I'm still a little uncomfortable on the freeway.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:56 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Having lived in Mn all my life, I tended to believe that we had some of the worst drivers in regards to lane usage.

Having just returned from a ride west, I came to this conclusion: Colorado drivers, specifically in the Denver area, are some of fastest and most careless on multi lane freeways, speeding and passing in all lanes. Driving across Arizona at the posted speeds of 75 mph, it was the California cars that whizzed by, and every time we saw a car stopped by the few troopers out there, it had California plates. It made me wonder at what speed the troopers had their radar set on before they stopped someone.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
rlggray
Tourer

Originally Posted by nevada72
Oh HELL yeah! I agree totally!

it's okay for a truck driver to swing out into the left lane (usually happens just as I'm getting to pass!) and take a half hour to pass the truck next to them. Drives me nuts. It's f^%ing rude.
Took me 5 minutes to quit laughing. "and take a half hour to pass the truck next to them." This is so true. Pisses me the f**k off when that happens.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 PM
ShamelessPoser
Advanced

Worst drivers I have seen have been in Phoenix. My condolences to those of you that live in the area.

But yeah, the left lane is for passing. If you're not passing traffic, move over.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
EW1959
Tourer

I don't go slow in any lane--if possible.

Quick Reply: Do you ride slow in the left lane?