General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ride slow in the left lane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I could be going 125mph in the left lane and STILL some azzhat in a cage will ride my rear fender. I will pull over to the right to allow him/her to pass and what do they do? Pull right in front of me! WTF???

Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM
nightroddersp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love how big riggs move over into the fast lane to pass another rigg that is doing 68 mph and the passing rig is governed at 70 mph...

Old 08-23-2011, 12:41 PM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On freeways I will just change lanes and move on, but most of the time stay in the right lane. The problem with the right lane is, you are always getting merged on so you end up in the left lane again. One of those Damn if you do,damn if you don't kind of things. The ones I hate are sight see'ers on two lane roads going 20mph under speed limit with cars backed up behind. If I should ever ride with someone like that, I would meet them at the next stop.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what bugs me way more is all the "dip sticks" who use the accceleration lane (on ramp) to get all the way up to 45 mph and then try to figure out how to merge with traffic doing 65+ while I'm on the same acceleration lane behind them. forget about clogging up traffic it is down right dangerous.............

Last edited by oley55; 08-23-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:55 PM
oley55
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nightroddersp
i love how big riggs move over into the fast lane to pass another rigg that is doing 68 mph and the passing rig is governed at 70 mph...
here's a yea but....... those truckers are out there trying tp make a living n paying a sh*t load more road taxes than we ar. that 2 miles an hour over the course of a year is a lot of miles. Genuine "drivers" (that is drivers=a professional truck driver) pay their dues. on the other hand it is amazing how many "drivers" I come accross who are not passing anyone and are in the left lane. wtf

Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,163 Likes on 12,217 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
I don't think it has to deal with bikers, just dumb asses in/on all vehicles.
Oh HELL yeah! I agree totally!

But, what I am saying is, when I see guys on bikes clogging the left lane (which is about a 1-10,000 ratio to other vehicles), they are almost always on Harleys. Just wondering what the deal is on that. To me it comes off as a kind of arrogant defiance. But, I know my personal dislike of left lane hogs colors my perception. It could be a totally innocent thing.

As far as all the other points made here - Hell yeah (again)! Every point made here is valid and I have been the victim of it repeatedly (I travel alot for work and play). The one exception is the rationalization that it's okay for a truck driver to swing out into the left lane (usually happens just as I'm getting to pass!) and take a half hour to pass the truck next to them. Drives me nuts. It's f^%ing rude. I get it - lots of us in cars drive like morons and it pisses off truckers. But, that is no excuse to drive like an *** and hold up traffic.

Just as a side note about truck drivers so this doesn't turn into a truck driver bashing thread - when I am on the open road on my bike, the truckers always seem to show me the most courtesy. My guess is a lot of truckers ride.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car, bike, truck....if you're in the leftmost lane of any multi-lane road and doing slower or no faster than the other lane: GTF out of the way!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Garandman
Tourer

Originally Posted by nevada72
/// Is it an "I own the road - screw all you regular folks" biker thing? If so, know that you're holding up a lot of other people that ride Harleys (some in cars, some on bikes) with your antics. Move over!
HD's (like Dodge Ram pickups) come with a deed to the passing lane.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:21 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I hate to generalize about people who ride a certain type of bike (especially when I own one!) but why do so many Harley riders clog up the left lane on highways? I see it all the time. It's rarely one guy. Last week outside of Vegas it was a bunch of different groups of 8 or more (actually two groups were all women which explains a lot ). A couple of days ago (Sunday at 3:30 on I-94 to be exact) two guys heading north out of Chicago (one on a bagger w/fringes, the other on a white cop bike that still had "police" stickers on the bags). Seriously -wtf? I don't see Goldwings or BMWs slowing everyone down. Is it an "I own the road - screw all you regular folks" biker thing? If so, know that you're holding up a lot of other people that ride Harleys (some in cars, some on bikes) with your antics. Move over!
Were they doing the speed limit. If not call a cop. If they were chill out, they own the road just like you do. and if the guy wants to leave the leo stickers on it is nunya.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I'll ride in the left lane because the right lane is usually rough and rutted from trucks....but......I keep a close watch in my mirrors and if I see someone coming up on me I'll move over till they're past.

Quick Reply: Do you ride slow in the left lane?