Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UVC Fee?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Just a way for the dealer to make more money.
Since it was a trade in,they probly gave the the PO a low price to begin with,and now tacking on a fee plus jacking up the price of the bike.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 AM
nightroddersp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stealerships are very very sneaky, do not under estimate the sneakyness... sounds like crap to me, this is where the HD reputation begins and then people turn to honda, suzuki and or a kawi...

Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can be sure they double dipped on that "fee" on the trade-in when they acquires the bike too.

If you already signed on the dotted line, tough ****. Lesson learned for next time around.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pezzy
Hey all; thanks for the replies.

By "big bucks", I'm talking about a fee that is over $500.

Yes, this fee was discussed beforehand because it really caught my eye. They "claimed" it's the "law" that they have to check out a used bike with their mechanics, which, I don't have a problem with.....but to pass on a fee for this of over $500?!?!

Here in AZ, there's also that tire fee; it's $2.00 I'm not going to quibble about that because that is really small; I could have reached into my pocket and taken that out in loose change.

PineyRider: When you say I should contact Harley.....do you mean the main company itself? Or the dealership from where I purchased it? Because if I just contact the dealer where I purchased it, then sure, they're just going to say that they had to charge me for it.

Let me know
Pez
No, I meant Harley corporate. I've worked at enough car dealers to know every "fee" that is tacked on to a purchase comes right from the top (the dealers owner). Calling the dealer will probably get you nowhere. Acting like the big tough guy and causing a scene will probably not benefit you either. Getting all mad and causing a scene never worked well for me personally. It has only gotten me asked to leave the place of business. What works better for me is calling the right sources. That is AFTER I've had a nice "face-to-face" chat with either the owner himself or sales manager.

I bought a bike from my local dealer that had a speedo sensor go bad. Since it was still under warranty they replaced it for me. It was a small place and the bikes got parked outside during business hours and rolled in at night. While my bike was parked outside someone cleaned out the unlocked saddlebags. Most of the stuff was cheap glasses and some do-rags but I had a really nice Harley rainsuit stolen. I had a polite but "matter-of-fact" talk with the owner about it and walked out with a brand new rainsuit free of charge.

Sometimes the friendly "chat" doesn't work like when LePera sent me a defective seat and didn't want to replace it. They basically told me "tough ****". The Better Business Bureau sure changed their tune. I got a replacement seat with a nice apology. Many businesses don't want to be stripped of that BBB sign on their door.

Last edited by BikerV; 08-23-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,807 Likes on 17,828 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
No, I meant Harley corporate. I've worked at enough car dealers to know every "fee" that is tacked on to a purchase comes right from the top (the dealers owner). Calling the dealer will probably get you nowhere. Acting like the big tough guy and causing a scene will probably not benefit you either. Getting all mad and causing a scene never worked well for me personally. It has only gotten me asked to leave the place of business. What works better for me is calling the right sources. That is AFTER I've had a nice "face-to-face" chat with either the owner himself or sales manager.

I think " presence " has a lot to do with whether public spectacle works or not . Some guy couldn't pull if off with an automatic weapons squad to back them up , just how it is . My dad laid down some interesting observations to me as a young man he said theres 3 ways it can go . #1 always be polite and state your case calmly , if they give you the cold shoulder go to #2 . #2 is a stern even calm voice make it very clear what the issue is , they still play dummy go stage show .

Stage show is public spectacle at it's grandest never threaten but loud is a must he said they'll fold , the old man was right I'd say 95% of the time .

One buddy had this dialed to a fine art , sales jerk didn't want to live up a freebie . Hampster looked at him and manager behind him popped an evil grin and said " Do you really want to let this out ? " he got 2 just to leave quietly .

Old 08-24-2011, 05:18 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Some dealers will tack on whatever fees they can think of, many of them are B.S.
no matter what the dealer calls them...
On any major purchase, I've learned to review every fee and other add-on and make sure the salesman understands that I won't accept any more before signing the dotted line. When I bought my current pickup, the dealer finance manager added a couple of line items to the final sales contract (adding a couple hundred to the bottom line). I saw it and objected, but the salesman said something to the effect that it was out of his hands. I just stood up and walked out of his office. Before I got out of the building he was agreeing to remove those charges.

Bottom line is: dealers (and just about any retailer) need you more than you need them!

Old 08-24-2011, 08:28 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I think " presence " has a lot to do with whether public spectacle works or not . Some guy couldn't pull if off with an automatic weapons squad to back them up , just how it is . My dad laid down some interesting observations to me as a young man he said theres 3 ways it can go . #1 always be polite and state your case calmly , if they give you the cold shoulder go to #2 . #2 is a stern even calm voice make it very clear what the issue is , they still play dummy go stage show .

Stage show is public spectacle at it's grandest never threaten but loud is a must he said they'll fold , the old man was right I'd say 95% of the time .
I'll agree with you on #1 and #2. But for me, if they don't work that's when I make some phone calls. I've seen it 1,000 times over at the various car dealers I worked at as a mechanic. Some people can get what they want and other people get nothing. And yes, "Presence" has everything to do with it. If you have an abrasive personality, or you're whiny or annoying the sales manager or owner (or service writer) will almost go out of their way to make sure you DON'T get what you're after. They way dealers deal with the "Screamers" is the mirror trick. If you ever notice most dealers have a mirror behind the service writers and sometimes the wall behind the salesmen. When you talk to service writers or salesmen you can see yourself in the mirror. Most people don't realize how stupid they look all red-faced yelling at someone. When you see yourself like that it will calm you down because you don't like the way you look.

And I still think it's totally ridiculous to pay a "fee" for the dealer to check over a bike they traded in. It's their responsibility to put road worthy bikes on the showroom floor, Period!! For me that would be a deal breaker if they didin't take it off the price, no matter how bad I wanted that bike.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,807 Likes on 17,828 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
I'll agree with you on #1 and #2. But for me, if they don't work that's when I make some phone calls. I've seen it 1,000 times over at the various car dealers I worked at as a mechanic. Some people can get what they want and other people get nothing. And yes, "Presence" has everything to do with it. If you have an abrasive personality, or you're whiny or annoying the sales manager or owner (or service writer) will almost go out of their way to make sure you DON'T get what you're after. They way dealers deal with the "Screamers" is the mirror trick. If you ever notice most dealers have a mirror behind the service writers and sometimes the wall behind the salesmen. When you talk to service writers or salesmen you can see yourself in the mirror. Most people don't realize how stupid they look all red-faced yelling at someone. When you see yourself like that it will calm you down because you don't like the way you look.

And I still think it's totally ridiculous to pay a "fee" for the dealer to check over a bike they traded in. It's their responsibility to put road worthy bikes on the showroom floor, Period!! For me that would be a deal breaker if they didin't take it off the price, no matter how bad I wanted that bike.

Your right seen that game played many a time , of course I've adapted dear old dad's tactics to the real world . Made a living hustling harely parts at swap meets for a few years in the 80's , lets just say that finely honed the skill set for sizing up the players in the retail power & pricing game .

Old 08-24-2011, 01:35 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pezzy
Hi all.

I wasn't sure which precise forum to put this post in, but, this seems as good a place as any!!

I just purchased a previously-owned, 2011, Fat Boy Lo. Overall, I am very pleased!

I say "overall", because when filling out the final bill of sale paperwork/ contract, there was a "fee" on there that caught my eye.

There was something called a "UVC" fee. I asked what that was, and I was told that since the bike was previously owned, it needed to be "checked out" by their mechanics for safety, etc.

UVC: The "U" stands for "Used", the "V" stands for "Vehicle", and the "C"......I can't remember what the "C" stands for, but, basically, since the bike is not one of the dealers' new or leftovers, it needs to be gone over to make sure everything "checks out".

I actually have no problem with that......but this "fee" wasn't exactly some little $20 fee......we're talking some big bucks, here.

Any of you ever heard of this "UVC" fee? Whether you've heard of it or not (and I hope the dealer just didn't invent it for me!!!!), does it sound like a cost that should be passed onto the customer?

When I've perused this message forum, I know there's many out there that think that dealers can come up with quite a few BS fees, especially when purchasing a new bike. Fees like "assembly" and "shipping/ freight"; like you're going to assemble your own bike, right? And of course they're going to ship the freight to the dealer! But by all means, let's pass these fees onto the customer!!

Anyway.....please let me know what you think about this UVC fee. Legit? Is it something I could go back and try to "fight"? I've got 15 days to change my mind.

If it was - like I mentioned - some little $20 fee, it wouldn't bother me that much, but, we're talking a pretty hefty sum here.

Look forward to hearing from all of you!
Pez
I'm curious. Which dealer bent you over like this? I have my suspicions, but I would like confirmation.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:05 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

When the ''fee'' was explained my reaction would have been to get out of there asap and NEVER return. There are better places to do business....

Quick Reply: UVC Fee?