General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie - Planning a longer ride - Advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 PM
bleachbro
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Planning a longer ride - Advice appreciated!

As a newbie rider in LA I've been enjoying short rides in town, never more than 30 miles at a time. Yesterday, I had a spontaneous urge to chase the sun (vacation time) and found myself taking the coast north and didn't stop until I got to Montecito, taking various detours to beaches, harbors etc. Six hours and 200 miles later I felt *incredible* - like I had my first *real* "just for fun" ride.

All of that to ask this: How do you go about planning a longer trip? I'd like to go from LA to Marysville where I have some friends. It's 1200 miles straight up I-5. (20 hrs) which sounds a bit monotonous.

If I want to spread this trip e.g. over ?three days (two nights)? - and make it more interesting / scenic, what is the best way to plan the trip?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Old 08-21-2011, 02:05 PM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bleachbro
As a newbie rider in LA I've been enjoying short rides in town, never more than 30 miles at a time. Yesterday, I had a spontaneous urge to chase the sun (vacation time) and found myself taking the coast north and didn't stop until I got to Montecito, taking various detours to beaches, harbors etc. Six hours and 200 miles later I felt *incredible* - like I had my first *real* "just for fun" ride.

All of that to ask this: How do you go about planning a longer trip? I'd like to go from LA to Marysville where I have some friends. It's 1200 miles straight up I-5. (20 hrs) which sounds a bit monotonous.

If I want to spread this trip e.g. over ?three days (two nights)? - and make it more interesting / scenic, what is the best way to plan the trip?

I have found that for a leisurely trip under 500 miles a day is the way to go. that puts you in the saddle for 7 or so hours if you are highway travelling. Just grab a good Atlas and read over it and do some internet research.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

good rain suit

wear a little more, you can always take it off
but if you need it you can't put it on if you don't have it
spare money just in case

you will learn along the way what you need

Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes about 500 miles or so is a good average. if you are riding interstate to get to the destination then 6-700 is doable....its not the most fun but doable. That being said, the old saying is true, its not the destination its the journey. You will have more fun keeping the miles down and enjoying the run to your friends.

Planning longer trips can be a fun as well, especially if its to an area you havent been before, use a map tool such as Google and put your starting point in and pick a town about a gas tank away and on a road that looks interesting and add that as the destination, then pick another town on the route a gas tank away and so on until you reach your final destination and you will have built a road trip. Using Google you can see what around the areas as well and see if anything interests you to stop and check out.

Most of all enjoy the ride.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:32 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by bleachbro
Don't go up I-5 for 1200 mi. maybe 395 part of it or parts of hwy1 is Good ,, , taking 5 for part of the trip is ok but not all-of-it
AND Have Fun

Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas er up, throw some clean uddies in a bag, grab lots of cash... have fun! ride safe!

Old 08-21-2011, 02:37 PM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I do to avoid riding the interstate - Go to Yahoo maps: http://maps.yahoo.com/
Put in your TO and FROM, let it draw the map and give you the mileage and all that, then put your cursor on the path it had drawn. Drag it to a different secondary road that goes the same way, and the app will re-draw the route, give you the mileage again and other info. Play with it ... has come in handy for me.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:42 PM
weaver
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well one thing if you go I-5 its only 460 miles from long beach to marysville

Old 08-21-2011, 02:43 PM
razorsedge
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Numero uno is making sure YOUR ride will get you there...if your not doing your own maint and PM, get your ride looked over good and put your mind at ease. At the bare minimum, upgrade your HOG membership to include unlimited towing which only cost $20 so your at zero extra expense for towing if needed. Once that is done, plan your stops, if you are riding hard and get ahead of schedule then your doing great. Learn to roll your clothes, tap the HOG website and review the "what to pack" area and think your trip through. Its best to be prepared than to wing it and hope all goes well!

Old 08-21-2011, 03:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by CSP067
One thing I do to avoid riding the interstate - Go to Yahoo maps: http://maps.yahoo.com/
Put in your TO and FROM, let it draw the map and give you the mileage and all that, then put your cursor on the path it had drawn. Drag it to a different secondary road that goes the same way, and the app will re-draw the route, give you the mileage again and other info. Play with it ... has come in handy for me.

I do the same thing with google maps. Makes it easy to explore different routes. Print out the one that looks best and take it with me. Also keep an atlas with me in case I get a hankering to change routes.

Carry some tools, zip ties, fuses, and cash.

Stay hydrated and don't get sunburned.

Have fun!

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Newbie - Planning a longer ride - Advice appreciated!