General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie - Planning a longer ride - Advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by murd
Gas er up, throw some clean uddies in a bag, grab lots of cash... have fun! ride safe!
it really is as simple as that. The only thing I would add is to make sure all is running ok with the bike before you set out. (eg, change that tire that is worn past the tread wear marker before going on a 1200 mile trip)

Personally, i prefer to have a just a general idea of how to get where i wanna go, and more or less make it up as I go. If you arent worried about your sleeping arrangements, a basic tent and a sleeping bag is all you need. Plenty of cheap hotels can be found if its raining.....

Just enjoy the trip as you go, no need to complicate it.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:26 PM
cary713
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used HD Ride Planner to set up our whole vacation. 2345 miles - 9 days .
Just my wife and I on our bikes -camping most of the way.

Thread (pics are at the end):
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...rnia-loop.html

Old 08-21-2011, 05:43 PM
UC4ME
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished my first long ride. Milwaukee to Sturgis and back. About 950 mi each way. Some have mentioned a good rain suit. I agree.

But I will be a contrarian some of the other items. It is very easy to cram every nook and cranny of the motorcycle with crap. I had one whole side bag packed with clothes that I never touched. (And yes - I put on new clothes each day for you mom types out there.) Net is pack light, have a spectrum of clothes for the possible weather and don't drag other stuff along "cause you might need it" The back of your bike is not the back of an SUV.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:44 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,519 Posts

Guess I am a bit old fashioned in that I still use the Rand-McNalley road maps (they make them in larger print now as well).

Just got back from Sturgis and tried my best to stay on secondary roads both to and from, and the way home was a different route than the way there.

Make sure you are up to date on your maintenance, and has been strongly suggested, make sure you have good rubber. Cuz I ride older iron , I carry enough tools with me to fix the common bike ailments as well as an extra quart (or 2) of oil.

Sun screen for your exposed areas and lip protection are important depending on the weather you will be riding in. I added an Alaskan sheepskin pellet to my seat....big comfort advantage IMO.

Take the time and pack your bags right. Loose bags on the back can be a real PITA.

Do not ride beyond your abilities, pay attention to speed limit signs (especially in hilly areas you are not familiar with).

Pack an easy to use digital camera, You never know when those Kodak moments might arise.

Be safe and enjoy the trip.

Won't be going back to Sturgis for another 4 years but I am already planning a ride around the northwest for next year.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bleachbro
As a newbie rider in LA I've been enjoying short rides in town, never more than 30 miles at a time. Yesterday, I had a spontaneous urge to chase the sun (vacation time) and found myself taking the coast north and didn't stop until I got to Montecito, taking various detours to beaches, harbors etc. Six hours and 200 miles later I felt *incredible* - like I had my first *real* "just for fun" ride.

All of that to ask this: How do you go about planning a longer trip? I'd like to go from LA to Marysville where I have some friends. It's 1200 miles straight up I-5. (20 hrs) which sounds a bit monotonous.

If I want to spread this trip e.g. over ?three days (two nights)? - and make it more interesting / scenic, what is the best way to plan the trip?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!
I'm gonna need a little more of that before I tell ya to pick a destination, find a reliable route, then divert from it while constantly ensuring the compass is working by flicking it every few minutes...oh, I mean, don't do that. Never ever divert from your intended plan. There I go again bubbling over because I've too much drink!

Last edited by Chunk; 08-21-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: yep, good reason
Old 08-21-2011, 06:39 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Just got back from a 6000 mile/13 state/12 day trip. My insights.

Riding

500 a day is a good average. Once we did 400. Once we did 850. All the other days were in between.

Get up early and ride during daylight.

Enjoy the ride. Stop and smell the roses.

Avoid the interstates. They suck. In some cases we actually saved time taking the scenic byways. They were less traveled and had less construction. That said, I would rather spend 12 hours on secondary roads than 8 on slab. Plus you see so much more.

Routing

I like using a GPS. I can plot a route ahead of time, load it, and just ride. No stopping to look at maps missed turns, etc. Garmin makes a few nice units. I use a Street Pilot that I bought on Ebay for $100.

Regardless - bring a good map and pre-plan (not that ridiculously small HOG map). Plus GPS's can fail.

I know some say wing it. You might just wing it down a boring route and miss something amazing.

Ask on forums like this or ADV what good routes are for your trip. Lots of good info out there. It may look great on a map or Mapquest, but the reality can be entirely different.

The Bike

Make sure she is ready to roll and totally up to date on scheduled maintenance. Fresh oil and good tires are a minimum. Check air pressure daily - especially with large elevation changes.

How's your seat? I replaced mine because the stock unit got uncomfortable after 100 miles. Alaskan Leather or some sort of pad can improve comfort.

Highway pegs - get some if you don't have them already.

Packing

Tools - bring them

Prepare for riding conditions that range from 45 degrees and foggy to 110 degrees and sunny. I experienced those both in one day in California. I brought a mesh jacket, down vest (packs small and is warm) and a rain coat (protects from wind in chilly weather too). I have grip heaters, but warm gloves can really be a blessing at 45 degrees in the wind. I wore mesh pants and removed/added the rain liner as needed. Bought a sweat shirt in Yellowstone because I was still freezing my a$$ off.

Money and plastic - for buying sweat shirts when you are freezing your a$$ off.

Cargo net and bungees - for strapping all the crap you bought to the bike.

Comfortable shoes for walking around when you're not on the bike.

An old towel - bring one. you'll use it.

The Rider

Hydrate

Hydrate

Hydrate

I drank Gator Aide while rolling (I have a cup holder - her name is Cheryl )

SPF 1000 sun block. I was using 70 and still got fried. Next time I'm using latex paint.

Eat right

Have fun!

Last edited by nevada72; 08-21-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:33 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Just got back from a 6000 mile/13 state/12 day trip. My insights.

Riding

500 a day is a good average. Once we did 400. Once we did 850. All the other days were in between.

Get up early and ride during daylight.

Enjoy the ride. Stop and smell the roses.

Avoid the interstates. They suck. In some cases we actually saved time taking the scenic byways. They were less traveled and had less construction. That said, I would rather spend 12 hours on secondary roads than 8 on slab. Plus you see so much more.

Routing

I like using a GPS. I can plot a route ahead of time, load it, and just ride. No stopping to look at maps missed turns, etc. Garmin makes a few nice units. I use a Street Pilot that I bought on Ebay for $100.

Regardless - bring a good map and pre-plan (not that ridiculously small HOG map). Plus GPS's can fail.

I know some say wing it. You might just wing it down a boring route and miss something amazing.

Ask on forums like this or ADV what good routes are for your trip. Lots of good info out there. It may look great on a map or Mapquest, but the reality can be entirely different.

The Bike

Make sure she is ready to roll and totally up to date on scheduled maintenance. Fresh oil and good tires are a minimum. Check air pressure daily - especially with large elevation changes.

How's your seat? I replaced mine because the stock unit got uncomfortable after 100 miles. Alaskan Leather or some sort of pad can improve comfort.

Highway pegs - get some if you don't have them already.

Packing

Tools - bring them

Prepare for riding conditions that range from 45 degrees and foggy to 110 degrees and sunny. I experienced those both in one day in California. I brought a mesh jacket, down vest (packs small and is warm) and a rain coat (protects from wind in chilly weather too). I have grip heaters, but warm gloves can really be a blessing at 45 degrees in the wind. I wore mesh pants and removed/added the rain liner as needed. Bought a sweat shirt in Yellowstone because I was still freezing my a$$ off.

Money and plastic - for buying sweat shirts when you are freezing your a$$ off.

Cargo net and bungees - for strapping all the crap you bought to the bike.

Comfortable shoes for walking around when you're not on the bike.

An old towel - bring one. you'll use it.

The Rider

Hydrate

Hydrate

Hydrate

I drank Gator Aide while rolling (I have a cup holder - her name is Cheryl )

SPF 1000 sun block. I was using 70 and still got fried. Next time I'm using latex paint.

Eat right

Have fun!
Good list - - I was gonna comment, but you beat me to the punch ...

Old 09-12-2011, 02:13 AM
bleachbro
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP here - You guys are awesome. I had a blast. Made it up Hwy 1 to Carmel and back from L.A. and was euphoric! A little dicey in the fog a couple times but wow - so amazing! Took longer than I thought! :-)

Again thanks for all the great advice!

Attached Thumbnails Newbie - Planning a longer ride - Advice appreciated!-dsc_0620.jpg   Newbie - Planning a longer ride - Advice appreciated!-dsc_0666.jpg   Newbie - Planning a longer ride - Advice appreciated!-dsc_0716.jpg   Newbie - Planning a longer ride - Advice appreciated!-dsc_0818.jpg   Newbie - Planning a longer ride - Advice appreciated!-img_0898.jpg  

Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

looks like it was a great trip and glad you had a good run, now start planning your second one

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

It's good to see that you had a good trip. There just isn't anything like seeing the country from the back of a motorcycle. I was out that way a few weeks ago and rode from King City, CA through San Fran in the fog.
I've found, in addition to what the others have said, that getting off of the bike every 100-125 miles makes long days in the saddle easier. Especially if you have to run on the Interstate. I figure an average of 60 mph for Interstate running and 45 mph for most 2-laners (50-55 mph for those long, straight 65 mph ones throughout the West). The average being so much lower than the speed limit because of fuel, food, and **** stops. Others may have their own averages, but these are pretty accurate for me

Quick Reply: Newbie - Planning a longer ride - Advice appreciated!