General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shovelhead trade opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

well i got the boat..the shovelhead has a new home..this boat is sweet.cant wait to get in the water..i need to get the vinyl windows replace pretty soon.they are ripped and leaking..other then that,its in great shape.still thinking of making a bike mount and just living on this thing..all that is holding me back is the need for fuel

Attached Thumbnails shovelhead trade opinions??-299072_283389501672293_100000037360678_1270084_2070430691_n.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,183 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Cool....
I/O unit 'n bearings all OK?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

If it's what you really want, and you seem to know a little about boats, then make the trade--it's just that your shovel is really nice, You don't find 'em that stock & unmolested like that. Evos,Shovels, & earlier are very scarce around here--all you see are Twin Cams. A nice shovel like that always gets a crowd at the local bike nights. and I think you might be sorry getting rid of a righteous sled like that--hell, if I hadn't just bought my RK, I would make an offer on the shovel. Good luck with whatever you do.

I like that idea of just getting lost on a boat--I was planning on tha when I was looking for a boat a few years ago--getting lost in the Keys.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
well i got the boat..the shovelhead has a new home..this boat is sweet.cant wait to get in the water..i need to get the vinyl windows replace pretty soon.they are ripped and leaking..other then that,its in great shape.still thinking of making a bike mount and just living on this thing..all that is holding me back is the need for fuel
Go get a set of "ear muffs" for the outdrive that you put over the water intake and connect a garden hose to it and start that SOB up right on the trailer. make sure the engine has oil in it. Make sure the outdrive is tilted down off of trailer mode and the shifter is in neutral. You will probably need a fully charged battery.

Any marine canvas shop can replace the isinglass windows in a day or two. Take the canvas to them and the cut out the old ones and sew in new ones. Also have them inspect the seams on the canvas because they can re-sew those too. When you re-winterize the engine be sure to use the green antifreeze that is good to -60F

Btw you can use the ear muffs to winterize the engine in one minute. Hook a 5 gal jug of antifreeze & start the motor...when green comes out shut her off and you are done.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 09-19-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,183 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Bigger inboard/outboards, you usually have a connection for your hose next to the engine block....allows a much more full and complete forced rinse of the block and manifolds. Depending on his engine, water pickups might be under his boat, not on the I/O drive (so no ear muffs..or use the telescoping toilet plunger type).

And you should use the environmentally safe pink RV/Marine antifreeze in boats...not the toxic bright yellow/green stuff that will get dumped into the water/ocean during the first spring trip. Pink stuff is good to neg 60 too (and it's really the burst temp you should be concerned about)

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Go get a set of "ear muffs" for the outdrive that you put over the water intake and connect a garden hose to it and start that SOB up right on the trailer. make sure the engine has oil in it. Make sure the outdrive is tilted down off of trailer mode and the shifter is in neutral. You will probably need a fully charged battery.

Any marine canvas shop can replace the isinglass windows in a day or two. Take the canvas to them and the cut out the old ones and sew in new ones. Also have them inspect the seams on the canvas because they can re-sew those too. When you re-winterize the engine be sure to use the green antifreeze that is good to -60F

Btw you can use the ear muffs to winterize the engine in one minute. Hook a 5 gal jug of antifreeze & start the motor...when green comes out shut her off and you are done.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

my shovel was far from unmolested or stock..it had a 72 fxe engine and trans,73 frame with no vin numbers/no vin block, just nothing. 1977 home made HD title, 61 seat,mid 70's front end,80's rear swing arm end, 77 exhaust,crash bars,batt box,.s&S heads and carb.chinese cylinders.i did have it together pretty nice with a good paint job,and it sure ran good and fast.. every 27' bayliner i have looked at has been $13k and up unless it was in real bad shape..even thou i cant afford the gas to haul it anywhere,let alone fill the 80 gallon tank,i think i got a pretty good deal.
.. i can still ride my other bike to shows and enjoy someone elses beautiful depreciating out of control shovelhead