General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are breakdowns part of the Harley Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 PM
MotoSoul11
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oct1949
So U ran over a piece of metal and frigged something up and Ur saying U bike broke down...

Did U read in the owners manual where it said not to run over piece's of metal that can screw up Ur bike...

By the way broke down to me is when U have to push Ur bike or trailer it home..

And no its not normal,, 35k on our 07,,, NEVER once had she BROKE down...

Matter of fact, just last weekend we had our BIG charity ride of the yr. over 400 bikes in it. About 375 were Harley's.

Tolal of 4 Bikes broke down, during the 150 mile, 6 hr ride....
Guess what they were...

3 Honda's and 1 Suzuki had to be trucked

Plus about 15 out of the 20 or so Crotch rocket owners couldn't make it to end of the ride because of all the pains they where having and couldn't ride any longer.

That can go either way. I rode 250 miles with a group of Harleys on my 94 VFR750 and I was the only one who didn't have to stop for some reason or another. That VFR had 62k miles on it and ran like a champ. I've also ridden sportbikes my whole life until my new FXDB and have logged well over 300 miles on more than one trip out with no pains or issues. The brand and type bashing is BULL$#*T anymore. My new FXDB is about to be replaced by the MoCo because it has front end issues that keep coming back. Never had that happen with my new sportbikes. Does it matter? No. Period.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,019 Likes on 17,916 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoSoul11
That can go either way. I rode 250 miles with a group of Harleys on my 94 VFR750 and I was the only one who didn't have to stop for some reason or another. That VFR had 62k miles on it and ran like a champ. I've also ridden sportbikes my whole life until my new FXDB and have logged well over 300 miles on more than one trip out with no pains or issues. The brand and type bashing is BULL$#*T anymore. My new FXDB is about to be replaced by the MoCo because it has front end issues that keep coming back. Never had that happen with my new sportbikes. Does it matter? No. Period.
Anybody who lives on a seat and doesn't take normal decently spaced breaks is an idiot or young don't care what you ride , you'll pay for that later in life big .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-21-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Purplesky
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
Seems to me the dealer made sure to come and get it, and take care of it pronto. What the hell else do you expect them to do? They are doing all they can!

Sometimes these things happen.

It's really not a big deal.

Actually you should be happy! You could have been out in the middle of nowhere.

Of course you're upset, I'd be too....but let it go, IMHO.

a 2012 Harley Davidson is as reliable a motorcycle as you can buy.

~Joe
I am overall happy with the bike and dealer but just slightly concerned at this point.
Its not going to do me any good to get all pissed about a breakdown on the first day. I am hoping riding the bike with one cylinder and what felt to me like lugging the engine did not do any damage under the 50 mile break in period.
FOR YOU GUYS SAYING I DIDNT BREAKDOWN I WILL DISAGREE BECAUSE THE DEALER TOLD ME NOT TO RIDE IT.
SO EITHER THEY PICK IT UP OR I CALL FOR A TOW TO GET IT TO THE DEALER.
SO I HAD A BREAKDOWN IN MY FRICKIN GARAGE.
IF I CANT RIDE MY BRAND NEW BIKE TO THE DEALER FROM ANYWHERE THAT IS A BREAKDOWN!
I WILL AGREE THAT I WAS NOT STRANDED ON SOME BUMFUK COUNTRY ROAD.

Sorry for the caps.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Considering the relatively low number of bikes (5), the high number of miles, and the years of riding them(45) it certainly hasn't been my experiance. I can count the number of times I actually broke down on one hand. Actually, on a couple of fingers. Have I broken chains and things like that? Yes, but that's just normal maintenence, not a real breakdown. It's like having a dead battery in your car. My Harleys have been about as reliable as I could hope for and that's one of the reasons I ride nothing else.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had fantastic service from the two H-D's I've had. Between the two so far I've put 112,000 miles on them combined and neither ever left me stranded. I've had little things happen on the road and a few minutes later was back on the road again thanks to my little tool kit and a spare parts I know to carry (shifter link/rod and jiffy stand spring - always have a spare of these).

I log 20-30k a year and my bike is my primary transportation. If the H-D wasn't supremely reliable there's no way I'd ride/own one. I put 135 miles a day on my bike and it absolutely MUST be reliable. I've had zero problems, they've always started and gotten me from A to Z. Routine maintenance will give you well over 100,000 miles of service easily.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:15 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

This is what I have learned about HD's on this forum. There is an 85 year old lady still riding her last new HD which was a 1985. She started riding as a teenager.

Down south there is a 93 year old who celebrated his 93rd birthday on a group ride with others. His bike was his one and only HD which he bought new in 1941.

There has been many posts on old riders and bikes that are still on the road.

Purplesky's statement that in the time that he has been on the forum he has learned that breakdowns are a part of the HD experience.

I will submit that his statement is without merit and has no foundation in fact. In my time on this forum there has been no indication of that myth that metric riders and trolls love to spout. HD would go broke with warranty costs if it were even remotely true.

With out convincing pictures I suggest that he doesn't even have a Chinese motor scooter.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Dilemma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

breakdowns are just part of the Harley Experience
With 49 miles on the clock? Ummmm, no, no it's not.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,019 Likes on 17,916 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lh4x4
This is what I have learned about HD's on this forum. There is an 85 year old lady still riding her last new HD which was a 1985. She started riding as a teenager.

Down south there is a 93 year old who celebrated his 93rd birthday on a group ride with others. His bike was his one and only HD which he bought new in 1941.

Purplesky's statement that in the time that he has been on the forum he has learned that breakdowns are a part of the HD experience.

I will submit that his statement is without merit and has no foundation in fact. In my time on this forum there has been no indication of that myth that metric riders and trolls love to spout. HD would go broke with warranty costs if it were even remotely true.

With out convincing pictures I suggest that he doesn't even have a Chinese motor scooter.

Gotta run with you on this one , only major problems I've had with the bike in my sig the last 30 yrs have been self induced .

Old 08-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Purplesky
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4

You know the funny thing is I am now actually qualified to confirm that a breakdown is part of the HD experience.

Here is a pic for you. You harley kool-aid drinkin jackass! THEY DO BREAKDOWN!
Is this pic proof enough? Maybe I just used my iphone at the dealer and took a pic of a random 2012 RoadKing?

Attached Thumbnails Are breakdowns part of the Harley Experience?-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Purplesky; 08-21-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Zero problems with my 2010 Ultra.

Quick Reply: Are breakdowns part of the Harley Experience?