General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are breakdowns part of the Harley Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:17 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't care what product I buy, if it breaks on the first day I own it, I will be pissed!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Purplesky
I just read your post again and you are kind of a dick.

When I read it's post I was thinking of either the flat or pensil type.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

I would be pissed if my bike broke down the first day. But the title of your thread invites flaming as you are implying that people who own HDs are dumb chits that are willing to tolerate shoddy mechanical vehicles just for a look, and or experience.

I have a new to me 2003 FLHTCUI. I have 5,000 trouble free miles this summer. I had a 2004 Vulcan 750, that I bought new. Had to replace both the cam chain tensioners, within the first 2 years, rebuild the carbs, and had a blown lower gasket.

Hope it's an easy fix, and you're back on the road soon.
Ride safe.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have ridden my HD's all over the North American continent over the past 6 years and have not had a single issue. None have had to have a repair.

But then I avoid running over stuff in the road. I learned that when I was 14 and started riding. That was 57 years ago.

I do not expect to have a break down. I service and check my own bikes over. When I go on a tour the bike is ready.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no breakdowns here.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:32 PM
FXSTS93
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This old perception of Harleys breaking down (falling apart) and leaking is an old remenant of the AMF days of HD. AMF started mass producing the bikes with no regard to quality. They literally built purely for quantity and expected the dealers to fix the issues - was almost the end of HD. Once the business was sold in 1981; (thirteen investors including Willie G. Davidson) the idea of quality came back. HDs (since 1981) are as well built and reliable as any other vehicle - they do have issues (like any other product) but most run everyday w/o issue - my 93 with 114,000+ finally has gone to the shop for a gasket!
But "people" still like to joke about how HDs fall apart???

Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I would be pissed if my bike broke down the first day. But the title of your thread invites flaming as you are implying that people who own HDs are dumb chits that are willing to tolerate shoddy mechanical vehicles just for a look, and or experience.

Ride safe.
Well if you read many posts on this forum, there are many comments from self proclaimed old time HD riders who seem to proudly claim that these bikes break down regularly and that anyone who complains about quality control or reliability is a whining poser or worse. So I think there are a bunch of mindless "dumb chits" coolaid drinking HD types who live for the experience and to be a HD billboard. Personally, I want and expect a top notch machine that gives me many trouble free miles. While my bike is still new, so far, so good.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Purplesky
Tourer

I just rode the bike back from the dealer and the problem they say was a loose fuel injector so the bike went into 1 cylinder mode.
If I had been out on a highway this would have been a breakdown considering I could barely go 30mph.
I guess I am just lucky I was close to home.
My clutch hand lever is now not releasing all the way and needs to be adjusted and so does the throttle as the response is way off. They said to bring it in Monday and it should be a easy fix.
Somehow my front fender got scratched and they were able to buff it out and I am glad I saw it. When I got home I noticed on the front Fender sides there is a small crease on both sides but it looks like its supposed to be that way.
As the dude took my brand new Roadking away in that trailer I prayed to the motorcycle Gods to please take care of her so I hope the next 2012 Roadking I see has those same creases.
I am still smiling while I ride but not as big for the moment.

I feel like the dealer is giving me good service so far so that is a good thing.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm glad to hear all these wonderful experiences and overwhelming joy of harley ownership .... new harleys are night and day compared to the older ones.
But even new ones will have issues from time to time.
Just 10 years ago we had to deal with cam chain tensionners that would come upart. Or is it a figment of my imagination? Terrible motor mounts and my FXD having a hinge in the middle. Is "death wobble" a myth? how about splines in my clutch hub taking out the hub and entire charging system?
Never happened, right?
**** happens if you ride.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

No break downs to mar my Harley experience so far. I'm very happy with it.

Quick Reply: Are breakdowns part of the Harley Experience?