General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are breakdowns part of the Harley Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:38 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,664 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Am currently on my 17th & 18th Harley,an '04 Fatboy & '07 RoadKing. I have never been stranded on any bike, except for my Goldwing, which was the biggest POS I ever owned. Turned out to be a clogged gas cap vent;found out myself after dealer practically rebuilt the entire bike. Starter went,frame cracked,fairing rattled,coolant leaked,Gilmer belt sounded like a banshee,electrical issues,everytime I turned the key something broke. Even my 41 80" Flatty lost a pipe right out of the head on the Jersey Turnpike & I rode it home to Queens,belching flame & oil from the exhaust port the whole way. Welded it up,drilled it out,banged it back into the head & put a sheet metal screw in it. I've had issues & leaks with various Harleys I've owned, but never stranded. Except for the time the battery died totally on my '90 FXSTC in BFE,Long Island. Got a push,bump started it, and made it to a gas station (before cell phones) where a buddy brought me the battery from the SuperGlide I just sold him so I could get it home. Does that count?

Only thing that could come close with my current bikes, is the front brake locked up on my Fatty about 3 years ago while riding near my house. Only lasted a second, then I rode to the dealership nearby, where they replaced the MC. No problems since.

Got my '07 RoadKing July 16,but have only put about 40 miles on it since I bought it--it runs so hot that I don't wanna ride it in this Florida heat until I can do a race tune on it. Got all the parts;just waiting on my pipes.

Last edited by dickey; 08-21-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

There is no such thing as a trouble free anything that was built by man.

You will be hard pressed tofind ANY bike that is as reliable as a NEW Harley-Davidson.

2nd best is an old Harley that has been completely rebuilt and taken care of by an owner that knows what he is doing.

Twizted will tell you the same. No matter what it is...if you **** on it...it will fail. A shovel that is taken care of...can go coast to coast no problem. You jdsut have to give a **** about it. Shovels are friggin TOUGH (but need TLC).

Sometimes, no matter what you do, things will break.

If you can't deal with it, then find another hobby/life.

Personally i love all harley's...but have a fondness for pre Evo's, and Twinkie's. The Twinkie is really a sweet engine. (God help me, I LOVE pan's)....

~joe

Last edited by traveler; 08-21-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Amenraa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 04 Sporty only needed brakes and the Crank Position Sensor. But neither one caused a break down.

My new SG has 400 worry trouble free miles and lots more to come.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:34 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey! congrats on the new scoot! VERY cool! I damn near bought one just like it!

~Joe

Old 08-21-2011, 11:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,019 Likes on 17,916 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
There is no such thing as a trouble free anything that was built by man.

You will be hard pressed tofind ANY bike that is as reliable as a NEW Harley-Davidson.

2nd best is an old Harley that has been completely rebuilt and taken care of by an owner that knows what he is doing.

Twizted will tell you the same. No matter what it is...if you **** on it...it will fail. A shovel that is taken care of...can go coast to coast no problem. You jdsut have to give a **** about it. Shovels are friggin TOUGH (but need TLC).

Sometimes, no matter what you do, things will break.

If you can't deal with it, then find another hobby/life.

Personally i love all harley's...but have a fondness for pre Evo's, and Twinkie's. The Twinkie is really a sweet engine. (God help me, I LOVE pan's)....

~joe
Maybe it's just time and grade but I put more faith in my old one that I do the new ones with all the constant problems people are posting and mine has hauled my *** and gear enough miles to make the round trip coast to coast a couple dozen times over the years . Not knocking the new I have zero hands on with one so I can't say for a fact . I'm just now getting around to considering building an evo FXRT to play with , takes me a while to warm up you know .

Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Purplesky
Tourer

Originally Posted by traveler
Hey! congrats on the new scoot! VERY cool! I damn near bought one just like it!

~Joe
Thanks man I do love it.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,010 Likes on 4,200 Posts

In all seriousness my o4 with 40K has 1/2" thick stack of papers for maintenance which does not count. However there are some problems that do occur and you read them on line quite often. It's had 2 rear hydraulic and 3 front brake light switches. Primary has been into 4 times (last time I gave up on dealer and went in and fixed it. The alternator spline was sheared dumping chips causing leaks,noise and finally chain rub (see my album)) The valve cover gaskets were replaced. Overall not too bad. However Harley should do something about the switches. Always use both brakes should get you a light and get into a habit of checking them interdependently for a light regularly

Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My bike never has broken down, I have had my share of repairs, but the bike has always got me home and got us to the dealer for repairs.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Purplesky
Tourer

Just to give an update the dealer got me in and out today pretty fast and they adjusted the clutch and throttle and all seems good to go.
So I am happy with the dealer and the bike.

Thanks for the feedback guys. TIME TO GO FOR A RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

A picture of a bike in a row of bikes is not proof of anything except that you posted a row of bikes.

Show one of you on your bike or by your bike not at a dealership.

Quick Reply: Are breakdowns part of the Harley Experience?