Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get my confidence back

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 PM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me get my confidence back

Have ridden for about 7 years now. Was hit while standing still by a car doing 40 mph while I was waiting w/ my turn signal on to turn onto my street. After that, twice I'v had the schraeder valve come out of my front tire while doing 80+ on the highway. Have barely ridden this whole summer, 45 miles at most. Tonight the wife and I are gonna go to la local resturant 5 miles away, we barely get out of our subdivision and my nerves are killing me. Turned around and went home to drop off the bike. 05 FLHT that like a dumb a$$ I sunk way way too much $ into. I've ridden from Cincinnati to Florida, Myrtle Beach etc. Just scared still. Any help?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:18 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Only time will cure that for you. Every time you ride without an incident, the better you'll start to feel. If necessary, keep it short and sweet for a while.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:18 PM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't let it get the best of you man. Make a lot of short rides, even around the block if you have to. Get back home, think about how you enjoyed it, and not what could happen. The way I see it, you've paid your dues now, and the rest of your riding should be trouble-free. Think positive.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

How many times did you fall off your bicycle as a kid? A few I would imagine. You got back on, right? This is like that. Just have to get back on and try and try again. Take short trips and just keep working up. If it takes all summer, so be it. Take your time. There is no reason to hurry. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 PM
roofgunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just chill out. I can't explain the valve coming out of your wheel but that is very rare I would think and the wheel should be examined. Maybe the valve hole is too large. Somethings way wrong with that situation. As far as the being hit issue, I hope that the person that hit you paid you for pain, loss, and you should have a new bike. I think you've had bad luck. They say the most dangerous time for a bike is the first two years of riding. You are past that.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 PM
rmarino14
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one can help you get your confidence back. Only time and miles will do that for you. Take it slow and just try to start enjoying the ride again.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain

...twice I'v had the schraeder valve come out of my front tire...
That is NOT a coincidence. It's a maintenance/negligence/tampering issue.

As for jumping back on the horse, it's only something you can do. The more miles you get under your belt in as short a period of time as possible, the more confident you'll become. The reason I say "in as short a period of time as possible" is like comparing it to a pilot with 3,000 flight hours. Did he accumulate that in a relatively short period of time, or is it just the same first hour repeated 3,000 times over a long period.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I was the same way after being creamed by a drunk driver I quit riding for over 20 years...then in 2005 threw a leg over a Sporty and now I am back to it.

My first ride was about 5 miles and my palms were sweating...but now I am ok with it and ride all day long. But never keep looking for that aholes twin brother. Give yourself time. It will happen.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:01 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Schrader valves were being broke by heavy or large valve caps. When it comes to getting your confidence back---that is on you. I will not encourage you or discourage you about riding.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Martimus
Tourer

Best way to get past it is to keep riding, even short distances. As that old saying goes "You got to get back on the horse that bucked you"...

After my last accident I did a lot of riding through my subdivision. After a while I ventured out... and then went a bit farther... and then a bit farther still.

Quick Reply: Help me get my confidence back