Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get my confidence back

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:26 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, my advice is to give yourself a break from riding for a while. Drive the cage for a few weeks then make some short trips on the bike. I would stay away from congested driving areas and head more to country roads where you can get your feet back under you.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you just need to get some miles behind you.. maybe a smaller second bike that you can throw around easier for a while..i have been riding all my life..the first few rides on a EG that i couldn't reach the ground on,i wasn't too sure.lowered it and got to riding,it is just anouther bike now.. its your mind that is doing it.try cranking the music up so high you cant think,find a long empty road,then just ride..

Old 08-19-2011, 11:52 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,061 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Generally a lack of confidence is from fear of the unknown...will what happen before happen again?

If nothing has changed since the last 3 incidences you listed, then your lack of confidence may be there for good reason.

If it were me (because I don't encourage anyone to ride or not ride), I would increase my knowledge of my bike, do more frequent maintenance and more thorough pre-ride checks.

I would also analyze what I could have done differently to avoid getting hit while waiting to turn.

Those two things would increase my confidence by knowing that the changes I had made would make a repeat less likely to happen.

btw, regular practice ( MSF type exercises) in a parking lot is not only a great
confidence booster, it will sharpen your skills. It is something I do on a regular basis, even after 40+ years of riding.

Kevin

Old 08-20-2011, 01:38 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear you've gone through a few rough spots in your riding career. Just glad your okay. But your nerves are not. You might be holding on to some level of post traumatic stress situation that I'm sure time will heal. If your not "feeling it" when you go for a ride, I think you are smart to pack it in. Maybe take baby steps, a quick ride around the block every once and a while and build up the confidence again.
Go to a parking lot and just do fun things with the bike. Figure 8's, U-turns. Get real good at feeling how your bike feels, reacts and before you know it... you'll be back in the saddle.
Good luck... I'm confident you can do it!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:42 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Schraeder valve incident has been I think fixed. The wheels were powdercoated and a wrenck removed some of the powdercoat he feels was partly responsable and installed tubes. Seems allright so far. Short trips are a definate. May take an MSF course again. That can't hurt for sure. After the basic one, maybe an advanced one. I appreciate all your help. I'm gonna keep at it, I like it too much. Thanx.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:09 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

People are just to distracted now days! They don't pay attention to what their doing! You have to be on defense all the time! When stopped,I always keep my bike in gear and check the mirrors until the vehicle behind me comes to a stop! If it looks like their coming to fast, try and get out of the way! Chances are their texting or some other stupid **** thing!

Park your bike and get on with life! It may take a few weeks or even months but one day you will get back in the saddle and like others have said,short trips around the block to build confidence!

You may decide it's just not worth it and sell it! No shame in that either! There is always something else to do for enjoyment! I always figured when I'm done riding,I'll get a Jeep wrangler and take the top down!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:11 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

In addition to short, back country rides, think about staying solo for a while. I know I worry more with my wife 2-up than I do alone. Plus it is easier to control the bike solo.

Just a thought. Good luck, Man.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Ed Vanharley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost quite riding after my 1st accident, got tee-boned and lost my left leg. Took a year to get back on the bike. 3 weeks after I got back on the bike had a drunk turn left in front of me, I was going about 60mph I lost my right leg below the knee and lost my left arm and 3 fingers on my right hand, was in the hospital for 11 weeks. A year to the date of my last accident I purchased a harley trike with special controls on it, That was 12 years ago and haven't been in an accident since. I guess I'm just Lucky!!

Last edited by Ed Vanharley; 08-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:23 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Vanharley
I almost quite riding after my 1st accident, got tee-boned and lost my left leg. Took a year to get back on the bike. 3 weeks after I got back on the bike had a drunk turn left in front of me, I was going about 60mph I lost my right leg below the knee and lost my left arm and 3 fingers on my left hand, was in the hospital for 11 weeks. A year to the date of my last accident I purchased a harley trike with special controls on it, That was 12 years ago and haven't been in an accident since. I guess I'm just Lucky!!

Don't you hate it when that happens? Not like the other two fingers are much good now either.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

After my second oldest son was killed on his Harley, I could not ride for about 2 months. I have ridden off and on all my life. Finally, one day I was out in the garage looking at my Sporty, and thought about it. I thought if my son had been killed in a car wreck, would I stop driving the car. I got on and took a short ride. I am fortunate to live in a very rural area with lots of back roads with little traffic. I slowly built my confidence back up, and two years ago I sold the Sporty that I had been riding for 23 years and bought my 99 FXSTC. I have put 14,000 miles on it so far. Everybody is different, and you just have to find your own way. Since you do love to ride I think you will find the way that works for you.

Quick Reply: Help me get my confidence back