Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting New Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Jetstream
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting New Dyna

I am in the process of purchasing a new '07 Dyna Super Glide Custom. When I sit on the bike I feel like I'm having to stretch forward a bit to reach the handlebars. The dealer is recommending 2" risers which they say can be added without replacing any cables. I'm wondering whether I should consider new bars or a reach seat instead. Any suggestions? Also, anyone with any information on the "best" riding position (i.e. back angle, elbows, etc) would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2006, 12:59 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fitting New Dyna

Replace the bars with a set of mini apes, like on a Bob or WG. Much more ergonomic for the long haul.

I installed a set of 8" bars, almost exact replacements for the WG/Bob. Found out they were still too short! I added a set of 3" risers, and now th fit is exactly where I want them. Were I to do this again, I would add 12" mini apes.

I also suggest use Wild1 bars. The thicker bar looks better, and vibrates less. The chrome is excellent, and doesn't have that yellow'ish cast the stock bars do. The hand grip is just about the perfect shape for my hand. Much more ergonomic than the stock bars. I had them on my '97 WG for about 30K miles.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Crossbones
Road Master

i went with the 12" mini apes and they feel great. they sit you upright a little more and get you away from that reaching feel. got mine thru J&P cycles for $40. did thru the bar wiring and they look awesome. good luck and let us know which way you went.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I went with the wide glide mini apes on mine for the same reason, but to be honest I have never found "the" comfortable seating position on my Dyna. I like to take long, all day/weekend trips and that is when it starts to take its toll on my upper back. Having mid controls with highway pegs allows me to move around and that helps. I plan on keeping the Dyna for a bar hopper and getting a touring bike for the trips.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,067 Likes on 346 Posts

I have to reach a bit also, I'm omly about 5'10 and I really could feel the difference between the BOB and the SG. I went with the SG though. Does anyone know if you can put on bars like the BOB's have and do you have to replace cables?? Or will the stock cables work?? That would be a great and inexpensive fix. Well...if thats the case, it probably wont work, makes to much sense!!
ORIGINAL: 1200sporty

i went with the 12" mini apes and they feel great. they sit you upright a little more and get you away from that reaching feel. got mine thru J&P cycles for $40. did thru the bar wiring and they look awesome. good luck and let us know which way you went.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Jetstream
Intermediate

Thanks for the prompt feedback... awesome site! The truth is I don't like the looks of the mini apes so I was thinking a set of pull back risers (56290-05) similar to those on the Low Rider. I have 30" arms so I am wondering whether just the risers will be enough. Does anybody know whether I can install them on a stock Dyna without having to change the cables? Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 PM
LRonHoover
Banned

If the pullback risers are about the same height as the originals, you shouldn't have a problem.. from my experiences.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:24 PM
stubby
Road Captain

Corbin has a solo seat that lets you sit closer to the bars. The stock seats on the fxd S**k. You will probably be looking for a new saddle after a few miles. If wanted you can add a quality passenger seat to the solo and both can have an extra back rest. This may not resolve your problem, but I think you should fit the saddle before you look at new bars. Just my 2 c.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:32 PM
MAX EVO
Road Captain

I am 5'10 with 32 inch inseam and ordering a Bob.I am debating between the Street Slammer T bars from H-D or the Wild One 501's.I had the Slammers on my FatBoy the difference between the 2 is 1 inch of pull back more one the 501's.I will have forward controls on the bike any opinions on which to choose ??I do alot of road trips I want to sit upright and in the bike will be running a mustange vintage solo as well.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:58 PM
airjoe
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

You should be able to use the stock cables with the pullback risers.

Quick Reply: Fitting New Dyna