General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lake of the Ozarks Missouri

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM
mcso
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lake of the Ozarks Missouri

I'm thinking about renting a house boat here and venturing out for day rides. For those that are familiar are there enough decent roads/rides in the area to keep me occupied for 4 or so days?

How about the area itself? Too family oriented or good time to be had.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Been on the Arkansas side, lots of nice country roads with lots of twisties. Gotta wear a lid in Missouri so didn't spend as much time there.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There are plenty of good riding areas. Mostly South of there, into Arkansas. They even have a brochure out so you can take a different area each time out.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grew up there. There is so much to do outside & so many places to do it you are gonna have trouble deciding on the day's activities. Been saving my money & plan to return there this coming next yr. Good river rafting on the Current River. Excellent fishing in any of the lakes plus, nice moderate temperatures for swimming & other water sports. Head to the west side of the state & find so much of the same thing. Go south & enjoy Arkansas. On the east side you get Tennessee, Mississippi. Plus The Lake of the Ozarks is riddled w/ some up beat spots, while places like Stockton Lake are slower but good fish to eat & wild critters to chase around with your choice of tools. Lots of things to do throughout.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UHHHHH, we do get territorial, sometimes scarily so, but to be honest its usually not a problem.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:26 PM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was just a thread over in the Touring section that may help you out. Lots of good riding down there.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...he-ozarks.html

Phil

Old 08-19-2011, 05:21 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

This is where I live. I'll tell you this, I've been riding these roads for a few years now and still have not hit them all.

Some tips:

Touring the lake roads can be fun and you will learn about the area. But be careful as some roads can drop down real quick and turn into gravel with no warning. Stay on the more "main" lake roads.

Tourists can be treacherous. We locals dread summer just for that reason. They do not know where the are going and will often stop in the middle of the road to check a map or make a cell phone call. I kid you not. They get sunburned, drunk and cranky....not a good formula for a bike rider.

Deer are everywhere. Be on the alert for them or you are asking for it. Keep your speed down on these twisty lake roads. Remember, our roads have no shoulders.

After you have explored the lake area, head up north towards Versailles. Take a spin out on C road and you will be in Amish country. Some of our best riding is up in that area. Don't pass up the first restaurant you see on the left after getting on C road, it is legendary Amish cooking.

Another great ride is going west on 54 out of Camdenton. Take 73 off of 54 and you will be in some more Amish territory. Can't remember the name of the road right now but going down 73 you will come to a four way stop. Go left here and you will wind down a great country road heading towards Lebanon. Don't forget to stop at Bennett Springs which will be on your right. Beautiful park and a really impressive trout hatchery. From Lebanon catch 5 going north and you will be back in Camdenton...and you will be tired.

That should fill up your four days. Ride safe around here, I don't want to read about you in the local paper. PM me if you want more info, I'll help all I can. Oh, if you get lost, call me and I will come and get you.

Last edited by BassCatcher; 08-19-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 PM
mcso
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, just what I was after. Thanks.