General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What keeps HD Resale so high???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What keeps HD Resale so high???

I've been doing alot of searching for a second bike while down here in Mexico, and I have seen 2005-7 hondas, Yammies and other metrics for a fraction of what they cost new. THE HD 's I've been looking at all seem to be very high priced, some even with high mileage and high price. Now Iam not complaining because I have an FLHTK at home in Boston, and when go to sell in the future it is nice to know that I can get a good buck for it, but what keeps their resale so high???

Old 08-19-2011, 12:06 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm absolutely no expert on Harleys, or the market for them down mexico way, but my understanding from having paid attention to the brand over the years is that well kept Harleys seem to always be desirable.

Except for the rough AMC days and certain eras that are somewhat famous for known issues, these bikes seem to level off on the depreciation curve very quickly.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 AM
CasaWolves
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 146 Posts

I have a buddy looking to sell his two bikes.....one is an anniversary wideglide, very low miles and a second is also a dyna.......last I spoke to him both his bikes were at a very good price. He's on the border...if youre interested PM me, Ill put you in contact with him.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:36 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy B
I've been doing alot of searching for a second bike while down here in Mexico, and I have seen 2005-7 hondas, Yammies and other metrics for a fraction of what they cost new. THE HD 's I've been looking at all seem to be very high priced, some even with high mileage and high price. Now Iam not complaining because I have an FLHTK at home in Boston, and when go to sell in the future it is nice to know that I can get a good buck for it, but what keeps their resale so high???
Most bike manufacturers are like car manufacturers and redesign/replace models every few years, usually in a 4 or 5 year cycle. HD on the other hand make incremental changes in their bikes when things like FI come along but don't really make noticeable changes from year to year, other than paint color and minor accessory changes so it is hard to differentiate a 10yr old bike from a new bike on appearances alone. Hell I own a HD and can't differentiate the year of manufacture of a HD just looking at it unless it is really, really old. An older HD can look as up to date as a new bike because of this. An older Honda or Kawasaki on the other hand looks dated because model changes are very noticeable. As far as how long the bike will last, it has more to do with how it is looked after than what brand it is.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody wants one!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:04 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Most bike manufacturers are like car manufacturers and redesign/replace models every few years, usually in a 4 or 5 year cycle. HD on the other hand make incremental changes in their bikes when things like FI come along but don't really make noticeable changes from year to year, other than paint color and minor accessory changes so it is hard to differentiate a 10yr old bike from a new bike on appearances alone. Hell I own a HD and can't differentiate the year of manufacture of a HD just looking at it unless it is really, really old. An older HD can look as up to date as a new bike because of this. An older Honda or Kawasaki on the other hand looks dated because model changes are very noticeable. As far as how long the bike will last, it has more to do with how it is looked after than what brand it is.
A few riders just said the same thing on my 25 yo bike at a bike night. They thought it was a 1996, at least! I won't put antique plates/tags on, limits you to rides too bike shows only, in my State(IL).

Old 08-19-2011, 01:21 AM
last12know
Road Master

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oppirs
A few riders just said the same thing on my 25 yo bike at a bike night. They thought it was a 1996, at least! I won't put antique plates/tags on, limits you to rides too bike shows only, in my State(IL).

got antique plates on my boattail.. the only limits as told by me insurance agent is..

can't be primary vehicle and can't ride it to work. that's it. nothing about any shows etc.. insurance for full coverage for a year is 50.00 thru state farm...

Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by last12know
got antique plates on my boattail.. the only limits as told by me insurance agent is..

can't be primary vehicle and can't ride it to work. that's it. nothing about any shows etc.. insurance for full coverage for a year is 50.00 thru state farm...
Is your boattail you main ride? Reading the IL DMV site, any antique vehicle (car/bike) must be driven too shows only. I think I'm highjacking a thread again, sorry OP. Insurance is a major factor!!! As I only put on 8k a year!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 AM
caaraa
Banned

It is right!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:04 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,233 Likes on 2,465 Posts

As with anything else. Supply & Demand.

Kevin

Quick Reply: What keeps HD Resale so high???