General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke My Last Tie To Harley, Goodbye and Farewell

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Captain Chaos
Road Master
Received 955 Likes on 368 Posts
Default Broke My Last Tie To Harley, Goodbye and Farewell

Being a person who likes to try new/different things I thought I'd try a Harley.
My "Harley experiment" began last year when I purchased an 04 XL883C. I knew full well that the 883 would never satisfy in terms of power but I figured, 1200 kits are inexpensive and easy to get so, why not.
Now, there were a lot of things that I did like about that bike. With the mods that were done to it (couple of different seats: Badlander for normal riding and the Harley touring seat for long rides, progressive 13.5" shocks) it was comfortable and looked great. Problem was, it was a gutless dog and had several design flaws, oh excuse me "character" traits, that I didn't like at all.
I started looking into what it would cost to bring it up to a decent power level only to find that the 1200kit was only 1 part of many that it would need. The cost to bring it to a HP level that most bikes achieved 30 years ago was appalling and then it was clear that the brakes and suspension would not be up to the task (they were barely adequate for the 883). After about 6000mi I sold that bike and moved on.

Next I bought a Buell XB12R. I figured, it already had all of the upgrades that the Sportster would require in terms of power and it had a chassis and brakes that would be more than up to the task. I was right about the chassis and brakes, they were some of the best I've ever experianced. I was wrong about the engine. For a bike with such clear sporty intentions that engine was a MAJOR letdown. Just when it started making decent power and becoming fun the rev limiter kicked in and it was all over. More research brought me to the conclusion that the Harley mill was just FAR to limited by it's poor design to make decent power reliably. It was either going to be a money pit, a time bomb or both. It was with a heavy heart that I sold the Buell. There was so much it did well but I just couldn't get past that turd of an engine.

Selling the Buell broke my last tie to Harley Davidson and after my "experiment" I can honestly say that I just don't "get it".

-I don't "get" a company that build it's whole image on being bada** and yet can't build an engine that doesn't get sand kicked in it's face by designs that were obsolete from other makes 20years ago, never mind anything current. Name a Harley and I will show you a similar competitors bike that out performs it and for less cash. The V-Rod is the one brilliant exception to this rule but it was made with help from Porsche and is rejected by "the faithful" so does it really count?.

-I don't "get" design flaws or poor quality that are either passed off as "character" or as being "normal" and I, as the consumer, am supposed to either deal with it or fix it myself. My Sportster had several of these issues and my Buell as well.

-I don't "get" the worshiping of the faithful or the cult like following HD has somehow developed.

-I don't "get" an "American" company that refuses to compete but instead tucks it's tail and hides behind it's loyal following **cough Buell*cough**. My America hides from no one and savors the opportunity to kick some butt.

-I don't "get" charging a premium price for a product that is no better or worse than the competition in terms of quality but is clearly inferior in terms of performance.

-I don't "get" how despite all of this perople practically line up out the door to buy into the fable that HD is somehow superior to everything else on the road.

Now before all of you with classic bikes get your panties in a bunch, that I get. I get the love, attention and devotion it takes to keep an old vehicle on the road. I show due respect to anyone riding an old shovel or pan. I don't "get" paying big bucks for a new bike that has barely progressed from it's orignial specs. I love my classic Mustang but I would never buy a brand new one if it performed just like my old one, flaws and all.

So, I think I'm done with my "Harley experiment". I still ride though, just not anything associated with the bar and shield. I found a bike that is comfortable, powerful, reliable, and even handles and stops well (try finding a Harley that does all of that). Me and the Busa will be having many a happy mile together I think. For those of you that enjoy your Harleys, ride on. I hope you have many miles woth of good times. As for me though. I just don't "get it".

I fully expect a pile of insults and "don't let the door hit you on the way out" statements as I've made few friends here, to say the least, so go ahead, flame on. I think I'm done here.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're enttitled to your opinion. Enjoy your Hayabusa.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM
avetter11
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You're right....you don't get it. Hope you enjoy the next 'experiment'.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

hope you like whatever you get next better and ride safe you whiner.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

It's not about performance, it's about heritage, tradition.

The fact that you personally don't care for them, dosen't mean the rest of us aren't happy. If I can't have a Harley or Indian, I'd rather just quit riding altogether.

Alot of people think a busa looks like a bloated whale...yet you like it. So...whose right and whose wrong?

you don't get it....I know how you feel. I don't "get" why some dudes want to sleep with other dudes.

Good luck.

~Joe

Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Did you ever think you were looking to make a HD something it isn't? If you ended up with a Busa you were in the wrong bike from day 1 & that's your fault for not doing your DD. Have fun.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You don't know unless you try. Everyone's different and there's something out there for everyone. Enjoy the new ride and be safe...

Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 AM
keikanca
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, you have 335 posts on this site - WTF? Get off - leave - take a midol, ride your Vespa to the local gynecologist, and stop bashing something you know so.......little.........about.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 AM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is; " Buh Bye"

Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

good luck with your next experiment. although, I doubt you'll be satisfied there either.

Quick Reply: Broke My Last Tie To Harley, Goodbye and Farewell