General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke My Last Tie To Harley, Goodbye and Farewell

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:30 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, troll food must be at a premium these days!

Old 09-06-2011, 12:54 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver
Has been a very thought provoking thread. I have several friends that are looking at bikes and are specifically interested in cruisers.

I can really only base my experience on my Harley and what I have read on this forum and talking with others.

Mine is a 2001 Heritage Springer left to me by my Dad when he passed. Due to bad health he was unable to put many miles on it. Since I have had it I have put about 15,000 miles on it and it has performed flawlessly.

Then there is the information I have gained through talking with others and on this forum

Based on my experience, and from what I have read and heard.......I'm pretty lucky to have not had any problems. Before joining this forum I ws pretty comfortable thinking, other then general maintenance, I should easily get to 50 or 60 thousand miles and beyond, without a second thought, but you can't click "new threads" without finding a post about a newer model bike that won't start, makes an new odd noise, or barely made it home.

However after joining this forum and doing a bit of reading, from what I gather, much is based on what you own and when it was built, as specific bikes are prone to specific problems. Mine has tww, cams tend to wear prematurly and the Chain Tensioners are unpredictable....can be trashed at 6,000 miles or may look new at 26,000 miles.

Easy to fix, change to a higher quality cam, change the chain tensioners to either hydrolic or go with a gear drive

But honestly for the cost of the bike, the long term reputation of the company, you would think that if a bike is prone to problems, Harley would recall it and correct it.

Have a buddy that has a 10 year old Yamaha Cruiser, 23,000 miles. Develeoped an electrical problem, took it to the shop to have it repaired, was advised his model bike was predisposed to a engine/transsmission issue, though he has not had a problem, they rebuilt his engine and transmission correcting the issue.

Took mine to the Stealership the first couple times for maintenance. $145 dollars for an oil change, and that's all they did. Didn't even try to ease the pain by checking tensions, lubing additional spots, checking air pressures...........nothing, they changed the fluids......period.

Second time I just talked with a mechanic. I just really felt there was an unusual noise, figured a Harley Mechanic would have seen it all and heard it all............his answer, I ride a Honda.

His bike was just over half the price of mine when both were purchased new........and while it pains the "Harley Rider" in me, I was impressed as hell with Yamaha on how they handled it.

Why do I ride a Harley..............my Dad left me his. I will make the changes, do the maintenance and be glad to have it.......but when you really sit down and crunch reality other then sentimental reasons, the only reason to buy a Harley, because they look great, sound great.............and of course...............because it's a Harley, which is a horrible argument against any of this.
I call b.s. on this . you expect me to believe yammy rebuilt a 10 year old bike out of the goodness of their heart. I have a hard time believing parts are even available for it.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
I am hijacking to a more upbeat topic...So Schu how is your "New to You" Lowrider running now that you have had it a few weeks? Do you prefer the carb to EFI? How is the power of the A motor compared to your Softail?

Old 09-06-2011, 01:09 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

It actually took me going to another manufacturer for me 'to get it'. I had to wrench everyone elses iron to realize that this bike...my HD is the best built machine I've ever put my hands on.....I'm glad I'm back and now my skill set is worthy of what I chose to ride....MHO

Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 685 Posts

Lol, didn't read the whole thread, but what I don't get is a guy that buys an 883 and then a Buell and writes off the whole company based off those two bikes ?!?!. I don't think Harley is perfect, but come on, their is a much wider range of bikes.

Good luck with the busa, my zook was one of the worst bikes I've owned. Talk about a design flaw, the clock would drain the battery in twO weeks! I went through 3 batteries in three years, whereas I got almost 5 years out of my stoack battery on the king.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:25 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Help is on the way.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerstu
I call b.s. on this . you expect me to believe yammy rebuilt a 10 year old bike out of the goodness of their heart. I have a hard time believing parts are even available for it.
Goodness of their heart? No. Known defect that the factory stands behind? Yes.

Yes - they still have parts for them too. Maybe not in stock, but still available.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerstu
was advised his model bike was predisposed to a engine/transsmission issue, though he has not had a problem, they rebuilt his engine and transmission correcting the issue.
Not out of the kindness of their heart, but because there was a manufacturers defect.........they corrected it by rebuilding the motor and transmission.

As for b.s........I partially understand, it's the internet, people can say anything.......but what would be the purpose.

This isn't 2nd or 3rd hand information, the "Buddy" is a guy I work with, assigned out of the same office. I rode the bike to Coloma Motorsports while he was working. He's happy as a Lark, like having a new bike.

He rides a Harley on our Motorcycle Unit and is one of the guys I was talking about that is looking, just not as hard as he was before the rebuild.

For the reasons stated I will always ride my Harley, but if not for that and if looks, sounds and sentiment didn't count.............eh, not so sure.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver
Has been a very thought provoking thread. I have several friends that are looking at bikes and are specifically interested in cruisers.

I can really only base my experience on my Harley and what I have read on this forum and talking with others.

Mine is a 2001 Heritage Springer left to me by my Dad when he passed. Due to bad health he was unable to put many miles on it. Since I have had it I have put about 15,000 miles on it and it has performed flawlessly.

Then there is the information I have gained through talking with others and on this forum

Based on my experience, and from what I have read and heard.......I'm pretty lucky to have not had any problems. Before joining this forum I ws pretty comfortable thinking, other then general maintenance, I should easily get to 50 or 60 thousand miles and beyond, without a second thought, but you can't click "new threads" without finding a post about a newer model bike that won't start, makes an new odd noise, or barely made it home.

However after joining this forum and doing a bit of reading, from what I gather, much is based on what you own and when it was built, as specific bikes are prone to specific problems. Mine has tww, cams tend to wear prematurly and the Chain Tensioners are unpredictable....can be trashed at 6,000 miles or may look new at 26,000 miles.

Easy to fix, change to a higher quality cam, change the chain tensioners to either hydrolic or go with a gear drive

But honestly for the cost of the bike, the long term reputation of the company, you would think that if a bike is prone to problems, Harley would recall it and correct it.

Have a buddy that has a 10 year old Yamaha Cruiser, 23,000 miles. Develeoped an electrical problem, took it to the shop to have it repaired, was advised his model bike was predisposed to a engine/transsmission issue, though he has not had a problem, they rebuilt his engine and transmission correcting the issue.

Took mine to the Stealership the first couple times for maintenance. $145 dollars for an oil change, and that's all they did. Didn't even try to ease the pain by checking tensions, lubing additional spots, checking air pressures...........nothing, they changed the fluids......period.

Second time I just talked with a mechanic. I just really felt there was an unusual noise, figured a Harley Mechanic would have seen it all and heard it all............his answer, I ride a Honda.

His bike was just over half the price of mine when both were purchased new........and while it pains the "Harley Rider" in me, I was impressed as hell with Yamaha on how they handled it.

Why do I ride a Harley..............my Dad left me his. I will make the changes, do the maintenance and be glad to have it.......but when you really sit down and crunch reality other then sentimental reasons, the only reason to buy a Harley, because they look great, sound great.............and of course...............because it's a Harley, which is a horrible argument against any of this.
I bought the Road Glide because we liked the bike - not because it is an HD. Does it have its quirks? Yeah. Is it a nice bike? Sure is. Is it worth what I paid for it? No. Is it worth even half of what they ask for it? Not really. Is EVERYTHING out there in that class a far more competent machine in every measurable way? Absolutely.

That being said, we'll have it till the wheels fall off, but it will have a few stablemates from anyone except HD.

HD makes a great road bike for the US superslab assuming you ride it as it was meant to be ridden - which is roughly the motorcycling equivalent of how you're supposed to drive a Town Car. (I know - the analogy fails there because a Town Car actually CAN be driven very well).

They have OK brakes, barely competent suspension, archaic engine design, just adequate power, and virtually require ~$3K worth of work to make them ride-able. They are, in effect, a new antique bike.

If you actually like to corner, or tend to do 1000 mile days without realizing it, or gear manufacturers are contacting you to test their stuff out over the long haul, then HD is probably not the best choice of motorcycle to buy. Same if you enjoy going to the track and not being embarrassed by bikes that cost 1/3 what yours did.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 PM
aggiejason
Cruiser

I've owned 2 Suzuki's, 1 Honda, and 5 Harleys. I haven't had much mechanical trouble with any of them. I ride a Harley because I can afford to at this point in my life and because I want to. Took a ride with a buddy today who has a Honda VTX 1800. The roll-on power is great on that thing. Clicking along at 65, nail the throttle, and wave bye bye to the Road King. If you wanna go face-flatteningly fast, get a 'Busa. That's not why I ride.

Quick Reply: Broke My Last Tie To Harley, Goodbye and Farewell