General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke My Last Tie To Harley, Goodbye and Farewell

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've well noted the OP's lack of judgment in how he selects bikes. So if he applies the same to how he rides, my bet is his 'busa days are numbered, just sayin'......

Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Chaos
.... and after my "experiment" I can honestly say that I just don't "get it"..... I've made few friends here, to say the least, so go ahead, flame on. I think I'm done here.
......... whatever

Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

Well, Here we are. 23 pages later.. I wonder if he's lurking in the shadows? Probably is. Well as someone else posted...Guys like that usally end up smears on the road.
I hope his little "power fix" hasnt killed him yet because of lack of experiance, skills and judgement. Hopefully he dosent have young kids and a wife left behind.

See ya..Dont wanna be ya! Bless your heart!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:50 PM
MADHOG
Road Master

I don’t get it, I just don’t get why you are so compelled to explain yourself. I guess it will make you sleep better at night. Every company out there seems to make some nice stuff as well as bad, good luck with your new experiment doc. You talk about Sportster and Buell; don’t remember any mention of SG, RG, Electra, Softail, Dyna…
After looking at your avatar it explains it all. Oh by the way, I just don’t get it…

Last edited by MADHOG; 08-19-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You gotta do what's right for you and you got some "bang for your buck" with your latest decision....Something to consider is to have more than one bike to suit your needs/mood....You will now face a steep learning curve in terms of powerband and good luck with that!!! You are gonna need it. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by Captain Chaos
Being a person who likes to try new/different things I thought I'd try a Harley.
My "Harley experiment" began last year when I purchased an 04 XL883C. I knew full well that the 883 would never satisfy in terms of power but I figured, 1200 kits are inexpensive and easy to get so, why not.
Now, there were a lot of things that I did like about that bike. With the mods that were done to it (couple of different seats: Badlander for normal riding and the Harley touring seat for long rides, progressive 13.5" shocks) it was comfortable and looked great. Problem was, it was a gutless dog and had several design flaws, oh excuse me "character" traits, that I didn't like at all.
I started looking into what it would cost to bring it up to a decent power level only to find that the 1200kit was only 1 part of many that it would need. The cost to bring it to a HP level that most bikes achieved 30 years ago was appalling and then it was clear that the brakes and suspension would not be up to the task (they were barely adequate for the 883). After about 6000mi I sold that bike and moved on.

Next I bought a Buell XB12R. I figured, it already had all of the upgrades that the Sportster would require in terms of power and it had a chassis and brakes that would be more than up to the task. I was right about the chassis and brakes, they were some of the best I've ever experianced. I was wrong about the engine. For a bike with such clear sporty intentions that engine was a MAJOR letdown. Just when it started making decent power and becoming fun the rev limiter kicked in and it was all over. More research brought me to the conclusion that the Harley mill was just FAR to limited by it's poor design to make decent power reliably. It was either going to be a money pit, a time bomb or both. It was with a heavy heart that I sold the Buell. There was so much it did well but I just couldn't get past that turd of an engine.

Selling the Buell broke my last tie to Harley Davidson and after my "experiment" I can honestly say that I just don't "get it".

-I don't "get" a company that build it's whole image on being bada** and yet can't build an engine that doesn't get sand kicked in it's face by designs that were obsolete from other makes 20years ago, never mind anything current. Name a Harley and I will show you a similar competitors bike that out performs it and for less cash. The V-Rod is the one brilliant exception to this rule but it was made with help from Porsche and is rejected by "the faithful" so does it really count?.

-I don't "get" design flaws or poor quality that are either passed off as "character" or as being "normal" and I, as the consumer, am supposed to either deal with it or fix it myself. My Sportster had several of these issues and my Buell as well.

-I don't "get" the worshiping of the faithful or the cult like following HD has somehow developed.

-I don't "get" an "American" company that refuses to compete but instead tucks it's tail and hides behind it's loyal following **cough Buell*cough**. My America hides from no one and savors the opportunity to kick some butt.

-I don't "get" charging a premium price for a product that is no better or worse than the competition in terms of quality but is clearly inferior in terms of performance.

-I don't "get" how despite all of this perople practically line up out the door to buy into the fable that HD is somehow superior to everything else on the road.

Now before all of you with classic bikes get your panties in a bunch, that I get. I get the love, attention and devotion it takes to keep an old vehicle on the road. I show due respect to anyone riding an old shovel or pan. I don't "get" paying big bucks for a new bike that has barely progressed from it's orignial specs. I love my classic Mustang but I would never buy a brand new one if it performed just like my old one, flaws and all.

So, I think I'm done with my "Harley experiment". I still ride though, just not anything associated with the bar and shield. I found a bike that is comfortable, powerful, reliable, and even handles and stops well (try finding a Harley that does all of that). Me and the Busa will be having many a happy mile together I think. For those of you that enjoy your Harleys, ride on. I hope you have many miles woth of good times. As for me though. I just don't "get it".

I fully expect a pile of insults and "don't let the door hit you on the way out" statements as I've made few friends here, to say the least, so go ahead, flame on. I think I'm done here.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:29 PM
missionwop
Road Captain
Received 558 Likes on 222 Posts

For such a long post written as detailed as it is i would assume this quy should have known what to buy in the first place. So obviously it's all BULLSHIT!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

verbose little fellow, isn't he/she/it ?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well now your running buddy here will miss you but as said, don't stop at the buell forum, just drift away, it's been apparent here for a long time you disliked harleys, and we had fun getting you all riled up, but we will let you drift on over to the busa crowd, and enjoy yourself, don't forget that a busa is a tad faster than an 883, don't let yourself get pinned at about 200, not much left after that, ride safe enjoy and glad you got your harley bashing out of your system, we did appreciate it.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:04 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one last question; did you return your dew rag, fingerless gloves, halloween t-shirts and the certificate of entiltlement?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 PM
rideitlikeustoleit
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol Your the reason I ride a Harley!

Quick Reply: Broke My Last Tie To Harley, Goodbye and Farewell