General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the hell is a love bug and when is the season?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 PM
burnafatty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What the hell is a love bug and when is the season?

I keep reading about this love bug and how horrible it is ? Are they only in Florida?

Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come to Florida in May or September. Trying to explain is just not the same as first hand experience.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 PM
oley55
Road Captain

Originally Posted by burnafatty
I keep reading about this love bug and how horrible it is ? Are they only in Florida?
black bug about the same size n shape as a fire fly. always seem to be mating. September is by far the worst month for them in GA and FL. it seems like the heat coming off the road attracts them. guts n splatters will eat into the paint if not removed as soon as reasonable. a couple hours on the road and you will be praying for a good rainshower to help wash them off.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

No they are in the southern tier along the gulf coast. Originally an import from South America I think, there are 2 seasons, spring and fall. They like damp areas, marshy, damp wooded areas, etc and come out in the daytime. Apparently attracted to carbon dixode so they gather around roads and make a mess of your car. The last couple of years arounf here it's been drier so not so bad. Saw a guy in Pensacola a couple months ago who had been down in south FL and he said they were terrible. Haven't seen but a couple arund here in South AL this year. 2 years ago the swarm was real bad. They sleep at night.

Called love bugs because they pair up, in a state of copulation, that's sex for you older harley types, and splatter your car with body parts and eggs. The body fluid develops an acidic quality as bacteria attack the residue and it can damage paint. Along FL interstates they have these winshield washers as you get ready to enter from a rest area. If you pull into one, don't be in a convertible with the top down, have your windows down, and for heavens sake, not on your bike. Great quantities of water to soften and diffuse the bug parts.

Nasty stinky buggers they are.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

Google is your friend....And they are on Louisiana also

Old 08-17-2011, 10:03 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

They're also in Louisiana too. Very short life cycle, a matter of weeks as I recall. I think all they do is mate then die.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oley55
black bug about the same size n shape as a fire fly. always seem to be mating. September is by far the worst month for them in GA and FL. it seems like the heat coming off the road attracts them. guts n splatters will eat into the paint if not removed as soon as reasonable. a couple hours on the road and you will be praying for a good rainshower to help wash them off.

I'm glad you explained that. I thought it was the same as a "june bug" that we have here in Oklahoma. Thought they called them love bugs because they resemble a small Volkswagon! June bugs around here will almost knock you off a bike if you're not hanging on!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:19 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sometimes you will notice them in your crotch area after a good romp in the dumpster with some hose bag you were sucking face with in the local hug n slug!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 AM
rebelpride112006
Cruiser

Run througg some on a bike and youll find out what they are. Lovebugs suck!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:45 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

My favorite are the palmetto bugs. Hitting a giant flying cockroach at 70 MPH is a real treat. SJ Ron

Quick Reply: What the hell is a love bug and when is the season?