General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tent to buy/carry on my RKC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 PM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I wish for all to know my appreciation to those who contributed to this post. I wish that the staff would make a small section for all of the contributions all made. I looked at all the tents listed here and wanted all of them. Big, small, them all!

I have been looking for a small tent for my motorcycle days in the off chance I ever get a few days away. In reality, I guess I would be camping 100 foot away from a Wi-Fi hub with a cell phone tower on the roof as the computer stays running and the phone must be active every 1/2 hour to check for missed calls for full time customer communication.

Now for the choice: I have looked every day on the computer and stores for tents, tents are everywhere. I started narrowing down the choices when I read what is important to those who do it.

I went camping at Rosco's Chilly Challenge, believe me. you should not go camping when it is 40 or so degrees with a 45 degree sleeping bag. And going to the bathroom a few times a night, no matter how long you hang on, it just gets worse. Tried looking for indoor plumbing.

* Small to pack, not so much on weight but volume.
* No cheap tent as it sucks when you are wet and cold all night.
* Easy set up. One person is good.
* Interior space to suite individual needs.
* Not too tall to blow over in a wind, shorter is better.
* Good hardware and material.
* I would think a minimum of 3 seasons.
* Waterproof.

If I have missed anything please chime in. Before Rosco's the last time I camped out it was in Viet Nam thanks to the USMC for 14 months. 4 foot of water, 120* heat, see your breath cold, all 4 seasons for 17 something degrees north longitude. It did suck sometimes also.

I settled on a Nemo Asashi 4 person tent w/o the garage. I just ordered it a little while ago.
  • Floor Dimensions: 100 x 90 in. Interior Height: 60 in.
  • Vestibule Area: 17 sq. ft.
  • Packed Size: 19 x 8 in.
  • Fully seam taped and waterproof

Again thanks to all!
Nice tent, what u throw for something like that?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I am a bit of a geek when it comes to camping gear esp bike camping gear. I have written a few thread on my set ups. Last year when it was just me traveling with my sportster I used REI's camp dome 2 man tent. Great tent. It is only 99 bucks but get the rain fly.
You can read all the reviews on REI's site.
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent
I back it on my bike by putting it in a medium or large black duffle bag from REI. I also added a the untra light back packing table which if you go to a rally is key since they don't have picnic tables unless you are in a state campground.
http://www.rei.com/product/814319/gs...rs-micro-table
And then a saddle bag chair from JP cycles. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/830-549
A good sleeping bag. I currently love the big agnes ones since they have a pocket for the sleeping pad so you don't fall off. http://www.rei.com/search?cat=450000...nd%2CBig+Agnes you clearly need to add a sleeping pad.
Now that I am married we added a half dome 4 to have enough room for us and lots of gear. It has two vestubles. http://www.rei.com/product/794298/rei-half-dome-4-tent Both have seen big storms and stayed bone dry. They is a ton of air flow in both the tents.
The embedded images are my sportster set up solo. They two attached photos are my sportier and my hubbies road king classic packed for our strugis trip and then the tent set up. We lived in the tent for 9 days.

Probably once every few weeks I get an email from a biker looking to figure out camping gear since I am such a geek about it.
If any wants I also have the perfect bike stove and also a great cooler for the bike.

Attached Thumbnails Which tent to buy/carry on my RKC?-img_0024.jpg   Which tent to buy/carry on my RKC?-img_3197.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now if you want to get crazy go to bikertent.com and check these out. 10' wide by 6' high by 10' deep. Compacts to the size of a sleeping bag and runs about $200.00.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
I am a bit of a geek when it comes to camping gear esp bike camping gear. I have written a few thread on my set ups. Last year when it was just me traveling with my sportster I used REI's camp dome 2 man tent. Great tent. It is only 99 bucks but get the rain fly.
You can read all the reviews on REI's site.
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent
I back it on my bike by putting it in a medium or large black duffle bag from REI. I also added a the untra light back packing table which if you go to a rally is key since they don't have picnic tables unless you are in a state campground.
http://www.rei.com/product/814319/gs...rs-micro-table
And then a saddle bag chair from JP cycles. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/830-549
A good sleeping bag. I currently love the big agnes ones since they have a pocket for the sleeping pad so you don't fall off. http://www.rei.com/search?cat=450000...nd%2CBig+Agnes you clearly need to add a sleeping pad.
Now that I am married we added a half dome 4 to have enough room for us and lots of gear. It has two vestubles. http://www.rei.com/product/794298/rei-half-dome-4-tent Both have seen big storms and stayed bone dry. They is a ton of air flow in both the tents.
The embedded images are my sportster set up solo. They two attached photos are my sportier and my hubbies road king classic packed for our strugis trip and then the tent set up. We lived in the tent for 9 days.

Probably once every few weeks I get an email from a biker looking to figure out camping gear since I am such a geek about it.
If any wants I also have the perfect bike stove and also a great cooler for the bike.
good to see you back on the forum your trips are always interesting

Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer65
good to see you back on the forum your trips are always interesting
Thanks :-) I got distracted with my wedding act. But I am still around and still riding a bunch.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:03 PM
texasguppie
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not in the $200 price range ($449) but this is a tent designed by a motorcyclist FOR a motorcyclist for the PURPOSE of camping, protecting your gear AND your bike. The Expedition II tent, a Big Agnes bag and pad, a LuxuryLite cot and a Kermit chair ALL fit easily on my '09 FLHT and give me a restful night's sleep. Sure...you can buy cheaper and replace it often or you can INVEST and the savings will stack up over time. When I make these buying decisions I always consider the cost to BUY and the cost to USE and quality over price wins out every time. I'm not rich, wealthy, or even completely comfortable financially. I save my hard earned dollars so I only have to spend it once.

www.redverz.com

Old 08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley

I settled on a Nemo Asashi 4 person tent w/o the garage. I just ordered it a little while ago.
  • Floor Dimensions: 100 x 90 in. Interior Height: 60 in.
  • Vestibule Area: 17 sq. ft.
  • Packed Size: 19 x 8 in.
  • Fully seam taped and waterproof

Again thanks to all!
I just received my tent yesterday and set it up today under a car port.

The tent is very roomy and is compact when unrolled in its compartmental storage bag. It is a bitch to fold up a tent by yourself. Now I know why the Indians brought along their women! This tent has two cross poles forming a big X with two separate fabric channels sown into the solid fabric cross pieces than the No-See-Um Mesh is sown onto the fabric making a very strong structure indeed. FYI bugs suck!

There are many pockets inside that are sown into the fabric and hang. The bottom is made of a waterproof material and looks like a tub. I guess the water would have to rise a good 6~8"? I receive this tent with a free footprint which is a waterproof sheet that attaches to the 4 corner (poles) with a metal eye on an adjustable strap.

Once the mesh with bathtub with 2 poles are installed 2 more poles are placed in the channels (sideways & perpendicular to the ground) on the sides which go into a sort pocket(s) into the fly. When assembled the purpose is to keep the sides vertical making more room than a sloped type tent.

The front Vestibule has room to sit in a camping chair with a window to look out during bad weather. There is an optional garage that you can purchase for around $120 that hooks into the tent but a good bike cover would be cheaper unless you wish to keep an eye on it at night. Sidebar: It would be hard to bring the bike inside of the tent with the bathtub side but once inside a footprint can be purchased for the garage to make a second sleeping area (without netting) for the Ol' Lady.

The inside floor is 100" x 90" room for a twin mattress and your bike or a queen elevated without the bike.
The garage attaches to the tent and packs very small and you can also buy a footprint for it. Good for sleeping if no bugs are present, a long night with. The tent is 5' tall and the front is a door I believe with another window. I did not buy this yet. There a side door on one side at least. I am sure this would make a good addition when socializing.

Overall (without using this tent you:
* It is very large for how small it packs (19 x 8 in) & weighs in lass than 11 Lbs.
* No-See-Um Mesh, no annoying bugs!
* There is 16 stakes just for the tent alone. Many places to attach at different heights for very bad weather (who knew the weather would turn?). The tent comes with 7 (aluminum) of them & I will buy 9 more with cord.
* When your bargain tent collapses, you are in for a very long night. You are not thinking about how much money you saved at that point.
* First time it took about 15 min by myself, packing the damned thing up by yourself takes much longer. I guess it would take 5 min. once you know what you were doing to get it up by yourself.
* All quality parts and very well made all over.

Cost me $295 shipped in 3 day UPS (Standard Ground). Look around and you will get that price.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I've got a Bushwaka Swag I'll sell ya for $200.00.

http://www.bushwakkaswags.com/

The one I have is the "Lite-Rider".

Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by texasguppie
Not in the $200 price range ($449) but this is a tent designed by a motorcyclist FOR a motorcyclist for the PURPOSE of camping, protecting your gear AND your bike. The Expedition II tent, a Big Agnes bag and pad, a LuxuryLite cot and a Kermit chair ALL fit easily on my '09 FLHT and give me a restful night's sleep. Sure...you can buy cheaper and replace it often or you can INVEST and the savings will stack up over time. When I make these buying decisions I always consider the cost to BUY and the cost to USE and quality over price wins out every time. I'm not rich, wealthy, or even completely comfortable financially. I save my hard earned dollars so I only have to spend it once.

www.redverz.com
I love my Redverz tent. 2 weeks out west, worked great. Here's some pics.
Tent from the front

Landers, WY

Side view, with bike parked inside

Cody, WY

Cold frosty morning

Silverton, CO

Burger time

Buffalo Chip campground, there were three of us in the front vestibule

Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's the tent on the bike. It's in the bag behind the helmet.
The bag is a Sealine Baja 30 roll top dry bag.

Quick Reply: Which tent to buy/carry on my RKC?