General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tent to buy/carry on my RKC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM
rhinotheking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ribaldmanikin
Is there a Mountain Equipment Co-op in Saskatoon? They're the closest we get to REI, and their tents are all top quality. The staff usually knows what they're talking about... much more than someone at the North Face store. I have a 15 year old Tarn 3 tent that has been used extensively, and never had a problem. It's led a rough life, but is always there when I need it. Likely the one piece of camping equipment I'd be most reluctant to give up.

North Face didn't make crap five years ago, but everything I've had from North Face in the last five years (since their popularity skyrocketed) has been total crap. I'm not sure if they had to outsource production or are just going through growing pains...
No MEC here but I was a member many years ago... totally forgot about them, until these posts about REI sounded familiar to MEC. Will check it out. A day trip to Edmonton is no sweat. MEC is there right?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:50 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smart dudes in this thread...Eureka, Big Agnes, REI. Can't go wrong with any of them. A friend of mine validated this for me - he has been involved with the Boy Scouts for many years and he is also an avid hiker & camper who consistently looks for the most compact and capable gear possible. Says you can't go wrong with any of the brands I mentioned above and also recommends a sleeping pad.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

Originally Posted by rhinotheking
No MEC here but I was a member many years ago... totally forgot about them, until these posts about REI sounded familiar to MEC. Will check it out. A day trip to Edmonton is no sweat. MEC is there right?
They have a website, and shipping costs are quite low. There is a MEC in Edmonton, and your membership is lifetime, so it's good. On their website, they have a used gear section that is usually full of last year's model of top end gear.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:40 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a collection of tents. I seriously have about 7 in my garage. We are big tent campers!! In my opinion you cannot beat Coleman tents. They are sturdy, well designed and weatherproof. They are not the cheapest tents but they are not the most expensive either. I won't camp in anything but a Coleman if there is any chance of rain.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:14 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've also run the gamut of tents and,coleman is at the top but lately I've been looking more and more at catoma.I carry a military shelter half just to keep off the dew and a cheap 1 man tent from sportsmans guide.Catoma combat tents go on e-bay for around 150 and thier website has some interesting tents for civilians and more important for riders.They are'nt cheap but a quite few BMW riders swear by them.They have one called a lone rider that sets up in 6 seconds,thats for me.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nomad billy
I've also run the gamut of tents and,coleman is at the top but lately I've been looking more and more at catoma.I carry a military shelter half just to keep off the dew and a cheap 1 man tent from sportsmans guide.Catoma combat tents go on e-bay for around 150 and thier website has some interesting tents for civilians and more important for riders.They are'nt cheap but a quite few BMW riders swear by them.They have one called a lone rider that sets up in 6 seconds,thats for me.
Checked out that lone rider tent and I think that is just what I am looking for. I definitely wanted a high quality tent that could be set up VERY quickly. Don't want to be fumbling around with poles and such at night after a long day in the saddle. Anyone else use one of these?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hammock!

Old 08-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Ironhead54
Advanced

Harley now has a tent available it also has a vesibule wjere you can park your bike out of the weather it goes for $189 it is a 2 man tent

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this works for me and the wife it a 4man tent it over 25 years old, we use a coleman queen size air mattress with it on pumpblows up in about 5 minutes and then sucks all the air out when packing up. the tent is a timberline by Eureka

here everything pack on my bike, the long green bag is the poles

Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
AjAnd3rson
Tourer

Nemo equipment is rather pricey but they make real good stuff.

Couple of buddies have them.

Absolutely love them!!!

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2011-morpho2p-tent

Quick Reply: Which tent to buy/carry on my RKC?