General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tent to buy/carry on my RKC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Onedawg
....big Agnes tents.....
agreed. spend your money once. my tent is sub 2lbs and compresses to the size of a nerf football (footprint and fly included)

Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 AM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhinotheking
I don't know which forum to post this in but here goes:
Looking for advice on 2 man(just me in the tent) tents that are easily packable, light, small, durable, and as weather resistant as possible. Please give me your reviews on your experience please.
I've been looking at everything from $23 from Walmart to $250 Sierra Designs tents, though $200 would be my absolute highest I want to pay.
I highly recommend Alps Mountaineering. They are on the same level of quality as a North Face or Kelty, at a lot less price. It is a great company, and they give Scouts half off all their gear, so I like to support them when I buy camping gear. I have 4 of their tents, and our scout troop has about 14, none have ever leaked. They are lightweight backpacking tents, which is what you need. There are several configurations and sizes on their website. You won't go wrong or regret if you buy from them...

Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 AM
travelinman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend a Hennessy Hammock. They are ok in a rain and VERY comfortable to sleep in. What I don't like is no place to store gear, just have to leave it in the saddlebags.

My number 2 tent is a Big Agnes Fairview. It is a one man dome tent that was specially made for REI and is now available in the outlet for not much coin.

No matter what, go for quality!!

Happy Trails!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:28 AM
rhinotheking
Cruiser

Wow! I didn't think I would get this many responses. Sounds like a lot of experienced campers here. Lots to look into.
Found a North Face at the brand new North Face store yesterday. Its a Roadrunner 23. 50% off, so it's only $132. Looks good-is it?
We have a Cabellas giant box store going up right now in town-maybe I should wait to see what they have.....maybe not.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhinotheking
Wow! I didn't think I would get this many responses. Sounds like a lot of experienced campers here. Lots to look into.
Found a North Face at the brand new North Face store yesterday. Its a Roadrunner 23. 50% off, so it's only $132. Looks good-is it?
We have a Cabellas giant box store going up right now in town-maybe I should wait to see what they have.....maybe not.
North Face does not make junk, so I'm sure it is a good tent. However, being all mesh with no panels to zip closed, it will sleep cold if you winter camp. Just make sure the rain fly goes all the way to the ground and you will be good to go...

Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i totally second this or something very similar. they now sell different model half dome. some are longer for the taller of us. this tent has won awards.

lots of room and extras in this tent. a lot of thought has been put into it.

and while you are at it, become an rei member. its worth it.

i have use numerous tents and this one, for what you are asking for, is tops. weight, packability, everything is just super.

Originally Posted by Drew
REI Half Dome 2 Plus- http://www.rei.com/product/794296/re...t#ReviewHeader

Plenty of room for me and all the gear I hauled to Sturgis this year. Fits easily in the Tour Pak, and goes up in 5 minutes. Top quality.

My .02

Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I hiked the Colorado Trail with the Big Agnes Seedhouse tent, which I highly recommend. Well made, lightweight (around 2 lbs), and very durable. I second buying the tent at REI -- easy returns if needed. Also, watch for sales at REI. Late May is their annual anniversary sale where you can get 25%+ off one item. And, members get 10% of dollars spent back in the form of a dividend the following Spring. SJ Ron

Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

I've got a Eureka Tetragon 4(?) two-person tent, served me well for several years now. Went thru numerous rains, several serious storms, never got wet yet. It does have fiberglass poles -- broke one once and the company sent me a free replacement. I reseal seams and lube zippers each spring (I don't camp in winter), and always set tent up after I get home from a trip, clean it and let it air/dry well.

One key as mentioned by others is always use a ground cover under the tent.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

Is there a Mountain Equipment Co-op in Saskatoon? They're the closest we get to REI, and their tents are all top quality. The staff usually knows what they're talking about... much more than someone at the North Face store. I have a 15 year old Tarn 3 tent that has been used extensively, and never had a problem. It's led a rough life, but is always there when I need it. Likely the one piece of camping equipment I'd be most reluctant to give up.

North Face didn't make crap five years ago, but everything I've had from North Face in the last five years (since their popularity skyrocketed) has been total crap. I'm not sure if they had to outsource production or are just going through growing pains...

Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 AM
mrjimbo
Tourer

My Sierra Designs is 17 years old so forget the model. Just did a 10 day trip from Idaho to Florida, still is waterproof(if you put the fly on) I've been in some serious rain with it, and have snow camped with it......4 lbs.....I bought it for backpacking......love it. 3-4 season tent

Quick Reply: Which tent to buy/carry on my RKC?