General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone wear a Simpson Bandit FF helmet? If not, any other recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anyone wear a Simpson Bandit FF helmet? If not, any other recommendations?

Hey guys,

I've ALWAYS loved the look of the Simpson Bandit full face helmets. Does anyone own one? If so, how do you like it?

I live in Florida, and it gets REALLY hot here during the summer. I need to start wearing a helmet, as I NEVER wear one. I've been looking around, but I need to find a helmet that has incredible ventilation to keep me from cooking in that helmet.

So, if not the Simpson Bandit model, what other helmet would you guys recommend?

Most important keys: VERY well ventilated, and light weight.

Thanks guys,
Adrian

Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the Outlaw Bandit but having no experience wearing one I can't say how well they ventilate but I know this much - Any Arai model will have great ventilation and the higher end ones have a multi piece removable liner that can be washed, they are also the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:06 PM
tallguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a super bandit. Love it. The only thing was the metal tab made on the helmet ( used to hang the helmet up on a roll cage) flapped bad with the wind. I just took a pair of snipes and cut it off. I have wore simpson, arai, suomy, shoei, bell. They are all good helmets. All about let the same air flow through. Hope this helps. Thats my 2cents.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Thanks guys!

Tallguy: I don't suppose you would happen to have any pictures with the Simpson on, do you?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 PM
82ndABN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owned one years back, great helmet. Ventilation is ok, overall good helmet.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:29 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 248 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
Hey guys,

I've ALWAYS loved the look of the Simpson Bandit full face helmets. Does anyone own one? If so, how do you like it?

I live in Florida, and it gets REALLY hot here during the summer. I need to start wearing a helmet, as I NEVER wear one. I've been looking around, but I need to find a helmet that has incredible ventilation to keep me from cooking in that helmet.

So, if not the Simpson Bandit model, what other helmet would you guys recommend?

Most important keys: VERY well ventilated, and light weight.

Thanks guys,
Adrian

Check out the Shoei RF-1100

Video review
http://www.helmetharbor.com/shoei-rf-1100-review/

Shoei RF-1100
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet....-1100&h=18&t=1

Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

Had a Simpson Bandit for when I was racing World Challenge. Used to call it the "Pigs in Space" helmet . . . although it really does the Darth Vader look pretty well. For M/C riding it has two issues in my experience: 1.) It isn't made for M/C type "Incidents." It's made for Car type crashes (AKA Incidents) so it's protection on a M/C isn't what a helmet with a Snell M/C rating would be. 2.) On a M/C it's rather loud. The shape that make it look so good sitting still or in a car with a windshield, doesn't do real well in the open wind riding a bike.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

Here's a picture of me in my Simpson Helmet . . . Willow Springs Raceway . . . didn't calculate the fuel load quite right . . . so I got promoted to spectator.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone wear a Simpson Bandit FF helmet? If not, any other recommendations?-no-gas.jpg  
Old 08-17-2011, 03:47 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Simpson makes the Outlaw Bandit which is a motorcycle helmet and DOT approved, the regular Bandit is not. I have one and it is a good helmet with adequate ventilation. I use it often but do prefer my Arai over it. The Arai is quieter and just feels better when I wear it. I always use a head cover made by Under Armor and ear plugs because the humidity in FL is pretty bad and the liner helps wick the moisture away. It also keeps the helmet cleaner inside. I occasionally use an open helmet, it is cooler but flying road debris is more bothersome to me than the heat is. Most of my riding is highway so the helmet stays pretty vented.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll go over to a local shop and try on the RF-1100. Don't know of any places around here that stocks Simpson helmets.. I don't like the thought of buying it without trying it on first.

Quick Reply: Anyone wear a Simpson Bandit FF helmet? If not, any other recommendations?