General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy hauler ramp

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let all the air out of your rear tires when loading or unloading your bike. Or get platform boots to increase your height.........j/k on both just to add some humor to this thread.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Reverse kneeler? Coin, but it would be cool!!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:19 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Winch on the ramp assist, as in get the bike on the ramp, stop, then winch the ramp up to a point to where the angle is not so severe then complete the loading process.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Sassy Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_M
Use Melancon's suggestion, but put them under your front wheels instead of your back wheels.

That will effectively lower the height of your ramp in the back.

As he also stated, you can then use the boards to level the motorhome after the bike is out.

{edit}One other thing you may consider if you go this route--get some non-skid paint (or make your own with a good rubberized paint and some sand) and paint the tops of the boards.
Mike, That could work, however, I'd like to be able to put the bike in the garage of the toy hauler at the end of each day. Once I'm settled in a campground I level the rig (automatic levelling system) so I wouldn't want to have to do that every day.

Also, the floor of the ramp is already made of non-skid material - yet the bike skids anyways !!! I think it's because its so steep. Lot of pressure on the front brake going down and then at one point it does start to skid.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Sassy Rider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by camsmith
Buy a Big Boy II from discount ramps. 12 feet long 38" wide. Foldable. Use it on top of builtin ramp for 2 step angle.
I sent an e-mail to Discount Ramps yesterday and someone called me this morning. He wants some measurements and thinks he'll be able to help me out. Here's hoping !!! I fear the cost is going to be out of range though !!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sassy Rider
I sent an e-mail to Discount Ramps yesterday and someone called me this morning. He wants some measurements and thinks he'll be able to help me out. Here's hoping !!! I fear the cost is going to be out of range though !!
Should be bout $650. It is well made. Vs cost of motorhome, Harley and/or dropping said Harley on an ankle or whatever...pretty cheap. And don't have to haul bunch of 2x12s around.

Last edited by camsmith; 08-17-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:09 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

A friend of mine has a similar toyhauler. He made what are called step chocks, used in vehicle rescue. Here's a photo:

Then he uses the aforementioned 2x12s with bracket for the ramps. Has 3 of them. Again, you're hauling around lumber.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,189 Likes on 5,847 Posts

I too have a motorhome type toyhauler. I know minor changes in grade can dramatically change the steepness of the ramp, because of the distance of the ramp behind the rear wheels . My front wheel on the bike always slides on the "non-skid" door when I unload it...used to freak me out, but now I am used to it. Since you have an leveling system...can you put it in manual or modify it to lower the rear and or jack up the front to load the bike? If I am at a rally and have to load the bike in the rain, I back up to a hill so the ramp door is level.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 08-17-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Sassy Rider
Cruiser

Kirk at Discount Ramps is suggesting the RR-TR-7

http://www.discountramps.com/trailer-ramps.htm

Not entirely convinced this will work for my particular set up.

Thoughts anyone ?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Skeet7373
Road Master
Default Ramp

hey Girl, post the pics from the side to show how steep the ramp is, that may give these guys a better picture of how steep that door is.

Karen

Quick Reply: Toy hauler ramp