The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real Bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Real Bikers?

Momma and I just got back from 10 days at Sturgis...
Had a great time.

Just to let you know we trailered the bike because Momma has Fibro and can't ride for more than 4 or 5 hours a day....

Anyway on the way home we passed a motor home pulling a big trailer closely following a group of 4 bikes. None of the bikes were loaded down with luggage, not a single sissy bar bag or bungie cord between them...

Here's the thing. One of the guys was wearing a "Trailers are for Pussies" Tshirt. Now I agree that riding cross country to Sturgis on your bike is the real deal. It defininately is worth more points than me towing my trailer, but does riding your bike, not having to carry any luggage or having to worry about any problems make you a real biker?
It's just the gall of that guy to wear that shirt that gets me. Trailers are for pussies, but giant motor homes with big trailers as a chase vehicle is appearently the sign of a true biker....

Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

sort of a hypocrite in my book..

kinda like a bumper sticker i saw a while back..

Hondas are like tampons... Every ***** has one...

on the back of a mustang...

Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

My friends and I (group of 10 bikes) rode to Sturgis this year -- and a friend with a pickup and 5th wheel took our stuff in his pickup. The whole argument of riding versus trailering seemed pretty stupid to me. But, apparently, it is a big topic of discussion at Sturgis.

To me, who the f*ck cares how you got there? I enjoyed the ride, but don't care howanyone else got there.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad to hear you had a good time at Sturgis. It's on my bucket list.
kinds of ironic having a T-shirt saying that & all their **** in a trailor. Of course a person can put any frigg'in thing he wants on a shirt which don't mean squat. I guess in his mind it makes him feel like a "real biker". Totally stupid..

Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,791 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Stay away from groups- Life should be an adventure, and it will be if you can avoid comparing yourself to others...Nothin like riding alone.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:00 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Momma and I just got back from 10 days at Sturgis...
Had a great time.

Just to let you know we trailered the bike because Momma has Fibro and can't ride for more than 4 or 5 hours a day....

Anyway on the way home we passed a motor home pulling a big trailer closely following a group of 4 bikes. None of the bikes were loaded down with luggage, not a single sissy bar bag or bungie cord between them...

Here's the thing. One of the guys was wearing a "Trailers are for Pussies" Tshirt. Now I agree that riding cross country to Sturgis on your bike is the real deal. It defininately is worth more points than me towing my trailer, but does riding your bike, not having to carry any luggage or having to worry about any problems make you a real biker?
It's just the gall of that guy to wear that shirt that gets me. Trailers are for pussies, but giant motor homes with big trailers as a chase vehicle is appearently the sign of a true biker....
PF dont let the dudes tshirt get your dander, he probably feels pretty foolish wearing it. Enjoying the 'Sport' of riding is individual and to each his own. Remember the real bikers are the one's getting rousted by the police for getting into knife fights invading someone else's clubhouse. We are bike riding enthusiasts not 'Biker's' in the true sense of the word. So just enjoy and have fun doing it with the Mrs.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,054 Likes on 17,933 Posts

To each their own anymore , age changes things along with the evolution of things like Sturgis . Personally I won't trailer unless broke and since that has never happened on a road trip in the last 39 yrs what can I say . I've seen Red & White in a Winnebago with shorts and flip flops and the family with them , who's going to say **** to them about a trailer full of bikes ?

I'm wondering how many going to Sturgis now even know what it's really all about and the roots ................................

Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd still rather ride my bike and have my stuff in a trailer than trailer the bike and the stuff though. To me riding the bike is what is fun, no matter whether my stuff is strapped to it or not.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 08-16-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:18 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

After my 965 mile ride from Kenora, Ontario to Sturgis in 20.5 hours because there were no available motels or camp grounds due to a oil exploration boom, I am looking forward to next year when I am in my climate controlled vehicle pulling my bikes in a climate controlled trailer with sleeping accommodations.

I did a 6,000+ ride in June, this 3,100 ride and one more planned this coming fall. Since I am on the down hill slide to 71, I will be satisfied with the 200 mile ride per day that we usually do each day at Sturgis.

Some times one just feels like going the comfortable route.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:28 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Ya know;I don't get all this anti-trailering crapola. Riding is tiring. Some people would rather get there all nice & fresh, not worn out from the ride. So FREAKIN' what? What;a guy ain't a real MAN unless he rides there? Considering the aging Harley demographic, I don't think there's anything wrong with trailering. In fact, I have driven to Daytona several times. Why? well, this past March, my buddy was down from NYC & didn't have his bike with him. Last March before, temps didn't get out of the mid 50s all week--the GF & I drove (the Famous Mustang) Sure, I could ride in the cold. Doesn't make me a man. But the point is, IT AIN'T NO FUN!! Wearin' a heavy leather,scarf,heavy gloves,full helmet. Hell, if it ain't fun, I don't wanna do it! I love ridin' in beautiful weather, and that's what we have 90% of the time in Florida. But if the weather sux, I ain't gonna go. Period. I'll trailer, or I'll just drive. Nothin' wrong with that. Does that mean I ain't a real biker? Who the hell cares. I have my Harleys for enjoyment & relaxation;not to prove anything. And if the weather sux this year for Biketoberfest, I'm taking the truck, with heat,tunes, and coffee. And if anyone don't like it, they can kiss my puckerpipe!

In fact, this weekend I am looking at trading in my current trailer for an upgraded, heavier duty one;deal is all set & ready to go down. I will post pics when I get it to **** off the anti-trailer people!LOL

Last edited by dickey; 08-16-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Real Bikers?